3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My first Traditional shot on game.. slow motion  (Read 470 times)

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
My first Traditional shot on game.. slow motion
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
I am new to traditional archery and letting my compound gather dust.  This weekend was my second traditional hunt and the first time I have shot at live game.

3:25 pm up in the stand every things set and it is a perfect afternoon. Didn’t even break a sweat.  Temperature is mid 70’s and dropping, Wind is consistent out of the NE. Time to sit back relax and watch and listen.  

4:25 nothing but a few birds and couple trig saps , its early
5:25 see 4:25 plus one pig grunt out in the brush somewhere
6:10 must have been wool gathering cause I have a real nice rack coming in. Can not see the body but the rack is telling me “this is a good Florida deer.  

6:10-
I see the rack is moving but have not looked at the body. In one fluid motion I start the camera and stand up. He stops, my heart skips a beat and gives me the first real look at him. Confirmed he is a good deer. Slowly he walks into the camera lens and to the corn I have scattered. He begins to nibble a bit. Time to get the bow.  I reach for the bow and it is stuck. The bow will not come off the hook. Another tug. What the heck…I cannot get the bow off the hook.  Third time is a charm.  Somehow the bow tip was sitting over the airline cable that holds the platform and my lifting motion provided enough friction to prevent an easy retrieval.

6:10:30-6:13:45pm Deer below, hunter above both wired. I am watching waiting , focusing ,waiting, focusing. I cannot remember drawing the bow. What I remember is my finger touching the corner of my mouth and the gentle plunk of my bow and the deer exploding out of view. Adrenalin rush is on. I have not experienced this type of rush in all my hunting experiences with a compound.

There he is 10 yards to the left.. All I see is rack the body is hiding behind brush and he is looking back standing still. I grab another arrow. Did I hit him? Where is my arrow quick glace cant see my arrow.. I watch … the rack turns and begins to move. I watch I listen nothing.  The deer disappears like a ghost.  

I am so adrenalin pumped.  Look for the arrow can’t seem to see the arrow from the stand.  Wait there it is. Stuck in the ground as if a perfect double lung pass through.   I sit down in the stand trying to pull it all together. Still on full alert I turn the camera off and decide to watch the tape.  Deer moves into the lens a bit nervous, eats head up eats head up eats and explodes from view.

Time to face the truth and go take a look at the arrow. Not a trace of blood.

Here is a clip of the shot in real time slow motion and double slow. I do believe he jumped the string.

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first Traditional shot on game.. slow motion
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
Where are you in relation to the camera?  With the camera angle, to me it kinda looks like you shot in front of him.

Either way, dont feel bad, I miss the same doe twice once!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
yeah looks like him heard string.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Great video.  Them jokers are fast aint they!!  Hate you missed that dandy buck!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
yip he's quick.
you can see he's on edge, lifting his head quickly before you shot.

keep it up better luck next time, cool video
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
The shot was right over the top of his back.
Typical for many shooting from a tree stand. You need to practice shooting lower from that stand to a target below
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
The shot looked high to begin with but it looks like he jumped the string on you also, missing complete sure beats a wounded animal.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
I disagree with Kingstaken, your shot would have taken the deer mid body if it hadn't ducked. Definitely a kill shot if deer hadn't moved. If you would have shot 5" from bottomline (top of heart) it looks like you still would have taken him out with a high lung shot.

Great Shot, Fast Deer. Nice Video!
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
good try

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
I hunt from 15-18' loggy bayou archery ladder stands. The camera is mounted on the seat rail by my left knee with a Joby wrap around tripod. Camera can easily swivel and tilt with concealed movement of left hand.

The black dot is where I truly believe I was focused in. But I have been wrong before and I do think my actual shot was higher.
If you place your computer cursor on the deer during the video you will see just how low she goes as she takes off and yes I am grateful that it was a total miss.  

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
Yep....he ducked it for sure.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline backwater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
MAN I FEEL YOUR PAIN, IVE SHOT OVER MY SHARE OF DEER NEVER A HAPPY FEELING.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©