3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadheads creating arrow weakness?  (Read 715 times)

Offline Bow n' errors

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadheads creating arrow weakness?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks Slowbow, I haven't really challenged the 42grn yet as I've only recently sent my first broadhead through my first tradional deer's rib cage a couple weeks ago and it went through pretty cleanly with a full pass through.  BTW, I'm using these with either the 130 Stos for my 2216's (51# SR Swift, 30" draw) or with 145 Stos on my 2219's for my 56# and 60# Swifts.
Thanks, I guess I'll continue to use them until I go for something substantially heavier in the way of game.  And, I'll keep Braveheart in mind next time I order such stuff.
Happy Hunting!
Curt

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Something to keep in mind with this stuff is the failures will occure at the weakest point. Idealy we want to transition from strong to weak over a long distance, much like a fishing rod is made. If we make any one part stronger, in effect we're making all the others weaker. The good part is we're learning from all this input!  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Absolutely O.L.!  A hard impact will find the weakest point.  I figure when you fix that though, you've made the whole system better...and you can go on to finding the next weakest point.   :jumper:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
I had a shot after a long effort over 6 years; at a particular pumkin headed bear. I had 5 1/2 inch fletch on a lam birch shaft with 31 inches of wood. I had a 160 grizzly on the end.

I have killed several bears from my stand; and this bear presented a shot; and the arrow hit; and snapped in the middle; sending the aft end of the arrow into the hide a little. The bear got away; I found ONE blood drop; and took my bear dog up there: and found other bears. But that one- I did not recover; and it makes me sick.

I believe that the 74 pounds and the big fletch did its job; but the twisting into bone of the grizzly head took the energy of the arrow - and caused the arrow to snap.

I have TWICE shot a grizzly with the same set up into a cottonwood stump- and seen a 1/4 inch penetration; and had the arrows snap in to pieces. These were 11/32 75 pound spine arrows.

**Maybe aluminum and carbon are a better choice for shafts for the grizzly.**

I was trying to do the right thing with that shot on that big bear; and the next arrow I shoot at one will be the same that has taken so many- POC or another wood -with a zwickey delta.

And maybe my setup and hit or particular arrow set up was my bad--- but I have no desire to do what happened again. I have hunted with a bow for over 30 years and I have NEVER seen an arrow shatter on impact - before these.

I have to wonder if the breaking your seeing is due to the ~torque~ of the arrow ~into~ an object: not breaking because of the hitting of a flat solid object.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Krebs...you post brings a lot of questions to mind.

The Ashby articles: Did he do his studies with wooden shafts, carbon, or aluminum?  My memory isn't the best but I think he used all three.  What I don't remember is any "stay away from wood" conclusions.  I could easily be wrong though.

Krebs, you fletching and bevel match each other, correct?  (Both induce a clockwise rotation...or both induce a counterclockwise rotation.)

Where both cottonwood stump breaks in the "middle" of the shaft?  I'm not familiar with wood shafts at all...is there any grain "runout"...even in a laminated shaft?  (I'm thinking baseball bats here...hard to break if put the force with the grain but if you put the force perpendicular to the grain they'll snap much easier.)

Just me thinking out loud again, thanks for patient.
Micah 6:8

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
I choose laminated birch because the doc recommended it; but I could have had a bad batch of shafts. I am not sure if any testing was done on full length shafts either. I just know what happened to me. The breaks were in the middle more or less; perhaps a little more towards the broadhead than the fletch.

Not knocking the Doc here at all - just stating the facts of my particular situation.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
i have also to bad experiences, one one target and the other one on the scapula of a "Sanglier" with  75 grs steel insert

I asked the question to the members of the french bowhunters forum and apparently i'm not alone.

So this afternoon i tried to break a 75 and a 125 just to see what happen

I' can't wright it was easy but for the 75 one it's was not difficult .......

the result in pictures , i don't know if it is significant but if you have some ideas ...

exept one scapula Wild boar i had only good results with this steel adaptator for 5 big game animals since i 'm using it

75 on the left // 125 on the right

save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:

the arrow hit; and snapped in the middle; sending the aft end of the arrow into the hide a little.....
 I believe that the 74 pounds and the big fletch did its job; but the twisting into bone of the grizzly head took the energy of the arrow - and caused the arrow to snap.

I have TWICE shot a grizzly with the same set up into a cottonwood stump- and seen a 1/4 inch penetration; and had the arrows snap in to pieces. These were 11/32 75 pound spine arrows.

**Maybe aluminum and carbon are a better choice for shafts for the grizzly.** ........

And maybe my setup and hit or particular arrow set up was my bad--- but I have no desire to do what happened again. I have hunted with a bow for over 30 years and I have NEVER seen an arrow shatter on impact - before these.

I have to wonder if the breaking your seeing is due to the ~torque~ of the arrow ~into~ an object: not breaking because of the hitting of a flat solid object.
Brian it sounds like the arrow was still oscillating when it hit " broke in the middle" I feel for you bother.

This is one of the arrows  from above, out of a 58#@28 Habu, after it went through a muley buck @ 30 yards, then stuck in this tree.

I kinda like what I'm getting.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »
great picture King !

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 04:06:00 AM »
Great bow.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 05:24:00 AM »
And a great shot.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 05:30:00 AM »
I gotta say I'm Rigs on this one...with all due respect.....bottom line is you made poor shots....

I've used those adapters,and sometimes they seem to bend too easy(in the thread area),but I've never broken one....

What could yo have possibly hit in the neck that would cause it to break without dropping the deer immediately?

Sounds like there might possibly be an arrow flight problem also.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
personnaly i don't want to make any judjement about the shot ... that's happen's

But i'm not sure that one or two millimeter of welding between the two part of the 75 grs steel adaptatator is something strong enough to hunt with ........ almost sure of that in fact !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©