3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confidence and "stumping"  (Read 282 times)

Offline Bucket

• Trad Bowhunter
Confidence and "stumping"
« on: November 05, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
I'm going on my 4th year of shooting trad gear and to this point I haven't felt good enough to hunt with it. I've been out a few times, but never had that warm fuzzy confident feeling I get when I carry the training wheels. I practice a fair amount, much more than I do with the compound, but was never deep down sure I was going to be able to hit what I was looking at. I have already taken a deer with my compound this year, so I am determined to get out with the long bow to make it two. Last night I was out shooting and decided to try some stump shooting (never done it before). I impressed myself in how accurate I was with the first shot. I limited my shots, but really only "missed" once. I think most of my practicing will be stumpin from now on.

Are there any other practice secrets out there?
Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare?

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confidence and "stumping"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
that is pretty all the shooting I do other than hunting. I do not hardly ever shoot at "targets". I have a big yard and plenty of little thing to shoot at. It is less boring and makes me shoot a lot more. I love doing it.
Chris Kiefner

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
G5 small game heads are the best for this. Just as long as you do not hit rocks!
Chris Kiefner

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
Stump shooting is great recreation, as well as good practice for hunting. I still shoot the backyard targets, but stump shoot whenever the opportunity presents itself. I carry stump arrows when hunting, too, and I may spook game occasionally, but shooting at 'stumps' is too much fun to not do when I'm in the woods.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
You will never kill a deer with the longbow if you take the compound hunting.  Let it in the house.

Also....when stump shooting...pick a spot, not just the stump.  Shoot at single leaves, woodpecker holes, sticks, old soda cans (bring them out of the woods too), etc.  You need to get into the longbow/recurve, and you will not do that if you fall back on that wheel bow.  It requires a committment.  You will do well but you have to make that decision.

Offline Bucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
"You will never kill a deer with the longbow if you take the compound hunting. Let it in the house."

George, I agree completely, and for the past few years, I've been doing that. But, I have really struggled with the confidence issue. I will do anything to make sure I give myself the best chance to make a clean kill, even if it meant leaving the longbow behind. But, after yesterday I think I may be able to make the commitment.

As far as tips, I like the looks of the G5, but I need glue on tips. What do most of you use?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Judos are good, as are 38 special cases, but judos are less likely to make your arrow part of the landscape when you lose it. Judos are advertised as unlosable, but the Titanic was supposed to be unsinkable, too.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
I have a lot of 357's. May have to give it a try.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bucket:
Are there any other practice secretes out there?
I love stump shooting...especially with friends.

The practice routine that has improved my shooting the most has been blank bale practice.

As boring as it is for some people...it is the number one thing that has improved my shooting.

If you understand it's purpose...which is to help the archer develop and maintain the perfect shot...it can be as challenging and as rewarding as hitting the bullseye.

I've learned to take it a step further by using the blank bale at different distances to help build confidence in my abilities at further distances,. It's basically a mind game you play with yourself where an archer learns to overcome doubt or fear of missing at a certain distance by taking the preasure off of trying to hit a small target. The blank bale becomes the target itself.

Obviously an archer still needs to practice at shooting at smaller targets to develop thier aiming ability...but the practice methods I mentioned are GREAT for devloping your form and building confidence in your shooting.

Ray  ;)

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Ask yourself; are you waiting for your accuracy with your longbow to rival that of your compound, to be "confident" enough to hunt with a stickbow.  If you are, it could be a LONG time before you feel "warm and fuzzy".  I'm not saying stickbows are less accurate in the hands of the right archer, but you could be comparing apples and oranges.  I like what Fred Eichler once said, "Don't hunt with a stickbow because you want to increase the challenge.  Hunt with one because it's the most efficient weapon you can carry in the woods."
My advice, if you truly want to take a deer with your longbow, leave the compound in the case until you've taken a deer with it-- practicing or hunting.  BTW, stumping is great practice, so keep it up.
Finally, I admire your patience and good judgment in knowing your limitations.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
You can play H-O-R-S-E stumping and that is fun!!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Stumping is a great way for me to build confidence as well. I also find that while i am out shooting I try to force myself out of my comfort zone. Shoot farther than you would in a hunting situation. Shoot in difficult positions. This is not to make so that I can take far shots on animals but rather so that I am that much more confident when things fall into place.

A few others have said it and I agree in that I admire you for you patience and know your limitations. Stumping will only help improve and solidify what you can do.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
I too am making the trans over to traditional and have had the same confidence issues compound vs recurve. I have drawn and let down on game that I would have shot with my compound several times this season due to confidence.

I finally decided to let my compound gather dust and on my fist traditional hunt three weeks ago out I drew on his Florida 8 point 5 times. Also let down on some does and hogs during the weekend

The following week I went out again and as luck would have it was presented with another 8 point at the same stand a little closer. Same confidence thing.. but also the realization that if I never took a shot with my recurve I might as well leave it at the camp and just bring my camera. There always has to be a first time for every thing and I decided this was my time.

My first traditional shot. Well I missed. My shot either went clear over his shoulder. Or as I am more inclined to think I telegraphed my shot and the deer sprung into action and was out of there.

I still have a lot to learn but I will never have to take that first shot again.
I cant wait to get back out.

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline going trad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
Black Wolf motioned it but I shoot at blank bales for a different reason, I like to aim for an odd spot on the bale as apposed to the entire thing, kinda like your shooting at a deer (big brown mass) it forces you to pick a small spot on a big target. Just me 2 cents.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
Les   place the cursor finger on the spot just where the elbow meets the deer's body and let the slo mo movie play.  Watch how low that deer drops when he scoots outta there.  That is called jumping the string and he did a great job.

Your arrow appears to have passed a bit higher than that.
ChuckC

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Bucket, Hex blunts from Ace Archery are great stumping/small game heads and Ace is a TG sponsor.  There's always at least one in my quiver.  Here's a link:  http://www.bowsite2.com/aceshopping/category.asp?CustomerID=1201316&ACBSessionID=x8760b875KPAUgtGoE0y&SID=2&Category_ID=9
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Les   place the cursor finger on the spot just where the elbow meets the deer's body and let the slo mo movie play.  Watch how low that deer drops when he scoots outta there.  That is called jumping the string and he did a great job.

Your arrow appears to have passed a bit higher than that.
ChuckC
I totally agree. I placed the cursor at what I thought was the top of the kill zone and the arrow stil went a little higher. It may have been a spine shot if the deer hadn't jumped the string. Great video. I'm hoping his number will be up...Next Time for ya!!!  ;)

Ray  ;)

Offline Bucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

I got to spend yesterday in the woods with the longbow. Spent the entire day on the ground. Man, what a jump...compared to a treestand and compound. And I love it.

Had probably the biggest buck I've seen in the woods (140"-150" range) come to a rattle/grunt sequence. He hung up about 60 yards out then turned and walked away. I think he got close enough to find out that he couldn't see what he thought he heard and left. Oh well, I still have another week left.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
good luck on the big guy
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©