3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: backup bow  (Read 439 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
backup bow
« on: November 05, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Just a ?. How many of you take a backup bow when you go hunting. I don't care if your going for day or a week. If you do is it very much like your primary bow or is it something totaly different? Can you shoot the same arrows, this would make sense.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: backup bow
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
I have two bows that I primarily shoot.  A Hornes Brushbow LB and a Quinn Stallion TD Recurve.    

I hunted primarily with the LB this year but have taken both on all of my hunting trips so far.  They are different weights but due to differences in performance I shoot the same arrows from both with approx the same gap.    It really works out well for me.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
I usually take two bows--or at the very least an extra string.

Offline going trad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
As the name implies I am just starting and this is my first year hunting with a recurve, that being said my first time out this season I had the opportunity to take a shot at a nice 8 point, I drew back on him and SNAP the bow I was using was a 50 year old Blackhawk, my day was done at 9 am and with a 45 min drive home that was it for the day at this spot, I went out later closer to home. But back to the point, I never carried a spare when I used the compound but now I carry a spare recurve, my primary bow is a 58” Red Wing Hunter 50# @ 28” my back up bow is a 58” Ben Pearson similar grip and feel 43# @ 28” its close enough that I can use the same arrows.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
If I am just going out for a day around home I dont take a backup but if I am going a ways from home or going for a longer period of time I always take one or even more backups.  Most of mine are all Shrews.  And if I take backup bows I also bring lots of extra arrows.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Same as Tim,  If near home, one will do. However, if 2 days or more away I always take at least two. Where he likes his Shrews I like my Griffins and Shrew. Shoot all equally well and with the same arrows.

Just got a new to me T/d Griffin,,, can't wait to get that one out there too.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
I take two string for each bow and two bow's
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
I make 2 bows each year to hunt with and they both go with me when I hunt. Both usually shoot similar and shoot the same arrows. This year they are a 60" osage static recurve selfbow and a 64" yew straight limb self bow. Both 58#@26"    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
I always have a td of some kind under my seat during hunting season just in case.All my bows will shoot the same arrows if needed.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Same as others. If I travel far for a package bowhunt where I can leave the second bow in the place I'm staying, I take two bows with me. Close to home with a one hour drive, I only take one bow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I take a longbow that I am hunting with now and a recurve. Both shoot the same arrows. That is for week long trips, for day trips I just bring an extra string.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
I have 2 recurves of the same make, grip poundage and length, they shoot identical,one is a one pc which I have been usin as a primary bow the other a TD which I can stash behind my truck seat I also always carry a extra string. I have ran over a bow, left another leaning against my truck when I drove off and had one blow a riser several years ago, so yea, I carry a back up.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
Hey Dave, we're both members of ROBC! The Run Over a Bow Club!     :)     I STILL can't believe I did that!     :banghead:      :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
I really look forward to my time in the woods and don't want to miss a minute of it if I can help it. Over the past 25 years I have witnessed two bows being run over and had it happen to two more of my friends when I wasn't around. So I now Never, ever lean my bow against the back of a pick up, especially if it is pulled into a spot.

I have shot take down recurves for 15 years now and each year I go into the season with two bows that are pretty much identical. One I hunt with and the other is disassembled and riding in a soft case in the tool box of my truck. I also keep a hard arrow case back there with another 1/2 dozen hunting arrows and sharp broadheads, 1/2 dozen field points and a couple blunts. While I have never backed over my bow yet (knock on wood) I have taken a nasty fall on a steep ridge in the snow a couple years back. I got up and I was O.K. but every aluminum arrow in my quiver was bent badly. The hunt was over for that day. I like to keep the extra arrows back there also to do a little shooting at a block target or stump shooting during the middle of the day. So far, I have never had to go to the back up bow to save a hunt, although I did switch out the bows one lean year hoping the back up had better "mojo". On two different occassions though my back up bow has been pressed into service by one of my hunting buddies.

One guy lowered his bow to the ground with his haul rope and then climbed down the tree with his Summit. When he got on the ground he realized when he lowered the bow it had stood up and was leaning against the back of the tree. He climbed down his bow with his stand and it was trapped between the tree and stand strap and held by his weight. The other guy had purchased a nice zippered soft case for his one piece. Tossed it in the truck and it aparently blew out of the truck on the way to the hunt. Probably still in its case laying somewhere over the side of the mountain. A lot can happen to a bow so yes, I always tote a back up bow and arrows along.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
"The Run Over a Bow Club" Thats funny right there. I guess I am a member also, even though I haven't run over my own bow. Maybe I am a member of the "Run Over my Buddy's Bow Club"

I remember we had pulled off of a National Forest road to do some evening hunting. After we loaded up that night I was backing my 3/4 ton Dodge out and in the headligths we could both see this mangled mess which had at one time been an expensive bow, quiver and arrows laying there in the headligths. We just sat there for several minutes, neither of us saying a word.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
yep alot can and will happen if you do it enough.  The further we go on a hunt the backup stuff we carry.  We usually have an extra bow in camp to backup everyone and arrows to match.  Also Jason and I usually shoot the same setup so that we can back up each other if needed.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©