3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nutria  (Read 9681 times)

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
Nutria
« on: May 05, 2006, 07:25:00 AM »
Anyone ever shot these?  What head would you use?  Anyone eat these things???

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nutria
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 08:03:00 AM »
Shot at but never hit one.

Use your regular deer broadhead.

Cook them like groundhogs.

Nasty yellow incisors.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Mdbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 08:20:00 AM »
Our club had Nitria hunts for years here. But the government has spent millions on getting rid of them in our state. But, Larry is right use regular broadheads. I like to boil them with a little sage, then pull the meat like pulled pork. Then I make Barbeque with it using Barbeque sauce and a liitle brown sugar. Your family and friends will think they are eating Pork barbeque.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »
Yeah, they must be real bad up Maryland way, got a friend with a place up on DelMarVa and the nutria have literally eaten up his duck marsh
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline Brian McIntyre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:46:00 AM »
Nutria?  Wasn't that the stuff George Costanza's cheap hat was made of on Seinfeld.  He thought he was buying sable, but it ended up being nutria.  Hello, Newman..........

MacGilla

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »
Looks like a Musk-Rat from the Pic I just looked up.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian McIntyre:
Nutria?  Wasn't that the stuff George Costanza's cheap hat was made of on Seinfeld.  He thought he was buying sable, but it ended up being nutria.  Hello, Newman..........

MacGilla
I think you are right! Big difference between sable and nutria!! Poor George!!!  :D  

We have a BIG nutria problem here as well! They are nothing more than GIANT RATS as far as I'm concerned, landowners encourage their demise!!

Never ate one but it sounds like they cook up pretty good, might have to try it sometime!!
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »
I had customers from Louisiana that swore they taste like pot roast if done right.  I never have drank enough to try one...LOL.  I would try it once.  They have a bounty on them in LA also.  Did anyone see that episode of Insomniac where Dave Attell was driving around shooting them with the NOPD sniper team?

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »
They were originaly brought into LA for meat(human consumption)...google it. I think the family that did it are still hated to this day.
  :D

I never been drunk enough to eat one either, they look like a cross between a beaver and a rat.
I heard they are good though.

I call em "Targets"
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline fletcharrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »
Out here in Yew country - we call 'em rat-tailed-beavers. They graze on grass and I have waked up and kicked 'em. They may be good eaten but I've never met any body who ate one and lived LOL. I think I'd use a good small grame head.

fletch
"No..No.. I really mean it - never fry food in the nude"

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »
I've never ate one either...but, I did see the show where the sniper team was shootin' em'. Just driving around New Orleans; wearin' em' out with a 22 rifle. And I agree with the other guys...nothin' but a big rat!
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »
I've eaten Nutria several times-It was EXCELLENT.

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »
Being from South Louisiana, I have hunted and eaten them.  Taste pretty good once you get past the fact that you're eatin an oversize rat. Some years ago there was a big push to create a market for them in restraunts.  I don't think it ever took off.  Best advice I can give is not to let your dog corner one in the marsh while duck hunting.  They can mess a dog up with their teeth.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 04:08:00 PM »
Nutria are very clean aquatic animals.  LOTS CLEANER THAN PIGS.  Once you get past the fact that you are eating a rodent, one that looks like  a huge rat, they are quite tasty.  Most nutria that people see in So. Louisiana are dead and rotting on the side of the road from being hit by cars.  This tends to make people feel that they are gross nasty animals and not fit for human consumption.  Nothiong could be further fronm the truth.  However, just like deer, a a lot has to do with how you handle the meat after the kill.  

The attempt to create a market for them was by Paul Prudhomme of New Orleans restruant fame.  The guy that made blackend red fish a choice dish to the point the they were almost fished out into extinction.  Unlike the red fish, the nutria never really caught on.  My X-Father-in-law was a trapper in So Louisiana.  Nutria was a prized fur that made a softer, prettier coat than mink did.  There was nothing cheap about nutria products.  With the decline of the fur industry, the trapping died off and the  only thing keeping the nutria in check in Louisiana are the gators, and they can only eat so much.  So. Louisuan is loosing hundreds of square miles a year of marshland because trhe nutria are eating up all the vegitation and there is nothing to keep the marsh from being washed away.  A real ecological nightmare.

So if you want to help save So. Louisiana, go down there and eat a nutria.  Every little bit helps.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
Well I have to disagree , Ive tasted it before and its not for me , I even ate some made into sausage...I didnt like it or the smell. LSU AG depth has tried to push this also...If i were stranded on Island , I might eat it...But not unless I ran out of fish! LOL...IM sure they might be ok , for some , not me...Paul Prudhomme could make a 2x4 tasty LOL...and if you ever ate Paul's Blacken Red Fish you would think ur in heaven!! as for the Rodent ...hell aligators wont eat em!!! Marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 03:02:00 AM »
French rule reconizes nutria as a destructive non-native animal.
They are very destructive to vegitation in the areas they live.
Streams and river banks are also dammaged by these large rodents
So, if you get permission to hunt on private property you can chase them all year round (but you need a valid license and you can’t hunt them at night)
Some French bowhunters spend a lot of time chasing them.
       :)       “Spot and stalk” method works well with nutrias.
They usually move primarily in early AM and evening and night; nevertheless you can see them in the daytime too.
Some pics of nutria bowhunting ...

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 03:07:00 AM »

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 03:11:00 AM »
On a private pond...  

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 03:19:00 AM »
A cute baby.
Young nutrias are often heedless of danger.
Only 15-20 percent of them survive the first winter.  

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 03:29:00 AM »
Summer harvest with a Thunderstick III.    

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©