3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Did I mess up buying leather boots?  (Read 890 times)

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
Did I mess up buying leather boots?
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
I just bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns yesterday to be a second pair of hunting boots. These boots are made of leather and goretex. My other pair are rubber, but I have watched deer become alarmed at my trail when wearing rubber boots. I am also very careful to practice scent control such as keeping my boots stored in totes until I am ready to use them. This has caused me to think that rubber may not be necessary. I hunt the mountains of WV where I do a lot of climbing to my stands. Did I make a good choice? Would using scent killer, doe, or fox urine help cover the leather smell?

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did I mess up buying leather boots?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
this should be good as there are hard core believers on rubber boots being scent free and those that say it does not matter. as for me i wear both and have been busted in both types. i now wear LL Bean rubber bottom/leather uppers and have watched deer walk down the trail i walked in on. i will enjoy watching this thread.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
You'll get a lot of ideas here I'm sure. The "theory" goes that rubber doesn't "hold" odors like other materials, including leather, which absorbs more.

I wore the knee high rubber for 20 years...and 12 years ago, saw not a deer, but a fox hit a glass wall when he came to where I walked in many hours earlier...like I'd read about and you just shared.

I realized watchin my boots as I walked, that a floppy top rubber boot acts like a bellows and "pumps" air out of the boot with each step... and all that sweaty foot odor has to be pumping up and out and spilling onto the ground.

Now I "blouse" my pant legs into my boots top so there is a "seal" around the top and it doesn't "bellows" anymore. I also spray with scent killer the moment I take them off, roll down the tops, pull out the felt insoles and spray them...and wear a 2nd pair for the afternoon hunt...alternating so each has a chance to dry and be sprayed.

All you can do is to keep your leather boots clean... spray periodically or regularly...and watch and see what the deer tell you in your area.

Most folks feel that deer always know you were there...but scent control helps to diminsh the strength of the odor so they think it was some time ago and aren't alarmed! You can never overcome a deer's nose...but the hope is that we can fool them to thinking it's long enough ago not to pose a threat.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
You didn't do anything wrong.  I use Danner's St. Louis boots and blouse my pants into them.  I've watched deer cross my trail and walk down it this year with no adverse effects.  Step in buck poop, or if hunting a cattle farm then a cow pie.  They are use to that smell.

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
I used to have the same problem with rubber boots, I got a new pair last summer and I let them sit outside for a couple of weeks then packed them in mud so the rubber would adsorb the dirt smell and git rid of the rubber smell. I also keep them in a tote and only where them when hunting. I have had great luck with this so far, when I have had deer cut my track they seem to smell it sometimes but do not seem to be alarmed. I also put baking powder on the inside from time to time to help reduce odor. I was thinking maybe they need to be replaced every few years because the rubber adsorbs to much human sent? Just a thought.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
I've used leather boots since the 1960's and use them still.  Rubber boot, especially if you walk a lot, make your feet sweat and create more potential odor.  You can have all of those stinkin' rubber models you want...leather is more comfortable and lighter....although of course, you will never kill any deer while wearing them.   :knothead:  

By the way, Muck boots were actually named for the way your feet feels and smells after wearing them for a day.    :biglaugh:

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
I use my Oakley combat boots.  They even have drain plugs in the bottom and i haven't had any problems that I haven't had with the rubber boots.  If anything I have had more opportunities because I can move much more quietly with them on than knee highs.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
I wear rubber boots occasionally when the weather is mild her in MI.   If it's too hot I sweat too much and get blisters. When it starts getting cooler, the perspiration trapped by the rubber makes my feet get cold.   I prefer leather or some other breathable material for my footwear.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
i use Muck boots and the Danner Pronghorns.  You should be fine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
I've killed deer wearing sneakers in the early season here when it was dry and hot.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Bicster,

Nothing wrong with wearing leather boots while hunting. Like many of the others have posted, I wear them myself.

I would counsel against spraying them with any type of urine though. The acids in the urine can eat your boots!

Leather boots can be just as scent free as rubber boots if you take care of them. Don't wear them in places where they can pick up strong acids, strong bases (alkaloids like bleach or lye) or any type of petroleum product (like gassing up your truck). I have a pair of Cabela's brand leather boots (I think they are actually made by Danner) that have served me well for nearly 10 years.

Most of the leather boots nowdays are made with vacume impregneted silicone to help make them more breathable. If yours are like this be sure and stay away from boot treatments that have wax or oil in them. These will seal off the leather and keep it from breathing. Danner has a silicone based paste boot treatment that works well (It used to come in a neutral/uncolored form, now I can't find it in anything but brown or black).

I think leather boots are more comfortable and last longer. Not to mention provide better arch and ankle support for long or difficult walking.

I have a pair of White Packers that are 25 years old. They have been rebuilt twice and are still going strong. They are my field work boots and get subjected to everything from stickey mud to goat droppings. I am sure if I scrubbed them good with a hunting clothes detergent a few times and let them air out good, they would be fine to hunt in as well.

I do have a pair of the muck boots I hunt in occasionally, but I like the leather boots best.

For what it's worth,
OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
vermonster13..."I've killed deer wearing sneakers in the early season here when it was dry and hot."

And what was that deer doing wearing sneakers?
  :goldtooth:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Trying to sneak around of course.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
I have both and am comfortable saying either will get you busted from time to time. My favorite boots are my Russell Sheep Hunters or my Russell PHs but I own LaCrosse and Muck boots as well. I have a hard time believing anything is "Scent Free" to a creature with a nose as good as a deer, dog, or bear. Leather is much more comfortable if it fits well.     Grant

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
I have both. Yesterday I was glad to have the Muck's because I was walking through muck and water halfway up the calf but my leather and Goretex Cabela Bruins are great for those long walks.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
I was watching a coyote about 200 yards away, I lip squeaked and he started to come in at full speed, at about 100 feet he came to a cartoon halt, spun and got the heck outta' there, he had crossed my path, amazing to see animals react to human odor isn't it?
Stepping in crap may help, but I'm going to try the bellows thing.

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
I have been busted in both, and watched animals cross my path with no reaction in both.  My theory is, it's easy to "contaminate" your gear without realizing it, no matter what you wear, and that is what happened when I got busted.  Therefore, I wear my Pronghorns and try to keep them "clean" by not wearing them outside the field, walking through streams frequently, and spraying scent-killer if the mood strikes me.  One downside of leather is, they require a preservative treatment now and then, and those do smell.  I try to clean and treat mine after the season ends, so the odor dissipates as much as possible by the next opening day.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
heres one for ya what did indians have on there feet? i think i would stick with leather or bare feet  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
You are fine with leather boots. Right now I use Oakley SI low cut boots in hot weather. In colder weather I wear Bean boots and Muck boots.

Personally see no real advantage by wearing one over the other but like most things it is really just a personal preference.

In saying that I only wear these boots for hunting and keep them bagged up off season and when traveling. Also use baking soda to cut down on smell but I do this with all my shoes.

Not real sure about scent killer even though I have used it. Like everything else use what you believe works.

Chris

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
Just because rubber doesn't hold scent doesn't mean you can just do anything with them and expect they are scent-free.

I had a buddy sit on the back of his truck after coming out of the woods - removing his rubber boots by using his sweaty sock covered foot to kick off the other boot.

That scent that you PUT on the boots has to be removed-whether its your hands touching them, your stinky feet, dirty socks, or them sitting on the trunk of your car and coming into contact with stale Mcdonalds french fries, cigarette odor, gasoline, etc.

You don't even know what happened to those boots before you got them...the Chinese lady in the factory could have had "eau de poopie" on her hands that day from the Wal-mart fragrance department.

Keep those rubber boots washed with baking soda and water solution and a scrub brush to keep them scent free. I NEVER have deer scent my trail walking in or out.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©