3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good buy?..Will it work?  (Read 768 times)

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
Good buy?..Will it work?
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
My Uncle has a 07 Howatt Hunter. The bow is 62", 50# @ 28". He also has a dozen cedar arrows that are fletched and uncut. I can buy both for $275.00. I'm 6'4". Will the 62" be long enouugh for my draw of a little over 29"? I'm still learning on my 40# draw but if this is a good buy and will work, I'll buy it for the future...Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good buy?..Will it work?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
You shouldn't have any trouble with that bow at 29"

Though at 6'4" I am thinking you should be drawing a bit longer than 29"
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
Don't overbow yourself.  You'll be drawing mid 50s at 29+.  You should be fine but do like you said and learn on the lighter bow.  Work your way into it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I think I'm drawing longer myself. That was the length they gave me at the shop. Is there anyway I can check it out at home? I'm learning with a 64" Pearson cougar. If I put a broadhead on the arrow the shortest I can go is 31" from the end of the nock to the end of the shaft. If I go any shorter the head hits the front of the bow...Thanks Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Take the longest arrow you have and put a clothespin on it. Draw back to as far as you are comfortable(use the lightest weight bow you have) and then measure to see where the clothespin stops on the arrow in relation to the string nock(don't shoot the arrow lol). That will give you a pretty good idea. Sounds to me like you are drawing around 30.5" if not a little more.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
Then your draw is over 30" near 31.  Draw length always was, before it became confounded, measured at the back of the bow.  That was for good reason....what you talked about...the broadhead hitting the back of the bow on the draw.

Your draw length is established by you...not an archery shop.  If  your arrows have to be 31" so you don't hit broadheads on the bow...your draw length is almost 31" and your arrows should follow suit.

Now...that makes the Howatt Hunter at least 59# at your draw, and probably more since Howatts are famous for being a few pounds heavier than marked.  See if Uncle will let you shoot that bow to see if you can handle that.  It's only a good buy if you will be able to handle it comfortably.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Draw came out to 30.5". Wnat does this show that I'm drawing on my Cougar? Its 64" 40# @ 28".

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Around 48# maybe a little more if it stacked at the end.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
Thanks guys..I guess I better be looking for something in the 66" 40 to 45# range. Anybody have one they would want to trade for a Mathews target bow???

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
I'm 6'4" and shot my 62" DH Hunter for 15 or so years with no ill effects.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
The Howatt will work even at that draw you will be at around 56#s if the Howatt is marked right. They can handle that draw with a very little stacking. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
For the money that is a pretty good buy.
I would think that you should be able to shoot the bow without any problem.

John

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
I would'nt pass up a deal like that. If you are shooting 49# or so, mid 50's isn't that much to work up to. Howatt Hunter is one of the best recurves ever made. I'll never part with mine.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
I'm going to try the bow tomorrow. The bad thing is that I'm just learning so I dont really know what I'm looking for, but If I do buy it I will have something to trade instead of one of my compounds.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
Once you get hooked on trad you find one day you will turn around and those compounds will have "Just Up And Left".  Take him up on the Hunter they are great bows.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
I'm already hooked. My target bow and back up bow are going up for sale tomorrow. I traded most of my vanes for feathers already. Ive got a buddy who does leather making me some moccasins so I can feel the sticks while stalking. I shot my new compound for the first time in 3 weeks today, I was bored with it after about 4 shots. Good thing my better half loves hunting and fishing as much as I do...

Offline Tracy Bellamy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
I'm 6.4 draw length 29 1/2, you wont have any problems there..Done been down that road, Now all you gotta do is buy it and go have fun!!

Offline BroMark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
I'm 6'-4" and shoot a 62" Bob Lee longbow... 54 @ 28 and I draw right at 29".
Blood bought - twice born - heaven bound!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
The bow can handle the draw, just build up to the weight. 10#s is a big jump when you are just starting out.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Well I took the first steps in my weaning process.I put my target bow up on **** this morning. You know what ,It wasnt as hard as I thought it was going to be. I also shot the Hunter. I'm going to get it. It is a little heavy on the draw for me right now but I will be able to work my way into it. I brought it home , shot 1 arrow then put it up in the archery room. I going to keep shooting my light bow. I have alot to learn before I tackle a heavier bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©