3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short Riser???  (Read 309 times)

Offline The Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
Short Riser???
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Can someone give me an opinion of short risers versus long risers the differences, advantages or disadvantages?

Thx, Donald
Orion 58" 50#@28 "SWEET"
Grizzly 58" 45#@28
Howatt Bushmaster LB 55#@28

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short Riser???
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Hello Donald- I'm over in Burkesville KY. To really answer your question, most of us need to know a little bit about your preferences and physical build. I personally prefer a longer riser and short limbs and there are reasons for that but many of my friends opt for the exact opposite. My reasons are: I like a sixty inch bow. I am a little over 6'1" tall and draw 29". I like moderately heavy bows and the length smooths them out. Longer lever,you know. I find the combination of a longish riser and shortish limbs to perform a bit better than a bow of the same length with a short riser/long limb arrangement, mainly because the less limb you have to move the lighter and faster it it CAN move. I shoot an old Bear "B" riser takedown with number 1 limbs and older Super Kodiaks because of my feelings about this but other folks are going to have other preferences and equally good reasons for them. If you look at the Soveriegn Ballistic site, bowyer John Fazio explains this angle pretty well. But like I said opinions are going to vary and I would suppose that all are valid.The discovery of your own preference is another enjoyable aspect of traditional archery. Good luck in your search. There are a few of us "Trad" guys in the area- if you'd like to get together with some of us drop me an email and I'll introduce you to a few of them; most have an assortment of bows and there is an overall wide variety that you would be able to try out, check out, or use as reference material when you make your choice. Good luck deciding,                 Grant

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short Riser???
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
This from the Thunderstick website (and no, I do not own one but I have read good reviews on them): "The benefit of a long riser is that it shortens the length of the working limb, which makes the bow very dead in the hand upon release; and also makes the bow very fast, stable and quiet...."

I'd have to get the Thuderstick longbow because I have become: "a fan of the traditional styled reflex deflex longbow."
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©