3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Recommendation  (Read 302 times)

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Recommendation
« on: November 06, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
I need some arrow opinions.

First my setup. Montana Longbow 50# at 28". I draw 28 1/2". Arrow length is 31 1/2". 125 grain heads.

Right now I am shooting Beman ICS Bowhunter 500's. They shoot great but are too light for hunting.

Right now money is tight so other brands of arrows are not an option. I want to stick with the ICS's.

So my question is, which ICS Bowhunter shaft and what point weight would you recommend for a good hunting arrow for this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
At that long ya could go to the 400 and shoot 225-275 up front and have the weight ya need! Shawn
Shawn

Offline breid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
I put this in alot, so here it goes again.
Buy some 1/4" diameter rope.  Braided nylon rope will add about 100 gr.  Cotton will add about an additional 100 gr.
Check the diameter inside first.  Some of the newer carbons are getting really skinny again.
I cut the rope about a 1/2" short, tape the front end with masking tape or blue painters tape.  Then tie a small slipknot in 6# or whatever monofiliment fishing line I have.  I take a paper clip and cut off the straight side.  Tie the line to the paper clip and thread it through the insert and down the shaft (don't try the other way, been there hit my forehead for it  :)  ).  Take off paperclip and slip onto rope.  Pull through.  If you need some extra room for the knock, pull the rope out ( rat tail file works good for this) and cut to length, repull and put knock in.  Shoot!
Otherwise, they sell weight tubes for pretty cheap.  I think 3 Rivers goes up to 8 gr. per inch.  BUt the rope will do a ton of arrows and costs about $5.
I saw bambi too, I got over it.

Offline tiur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
another option , cut arrows down add weight to tip
keeps your spine in tune
ASL

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
SC Bowhunter,

I shoot a setup similar to yours, and I also shoot the ICS's.  

Like Shawn said above, you could get the 400 shafts, and weight them at the tips to hunt with them.

You might try a 31 1/2" 400 shaft with a 100gr brass insert and 125-175 grain point.  Should be close to what you need.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the info. I think I will go for the 400's with the brass inserts. That way, I could still use my 125 grn points.

Rob
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©