3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has anyone shot a coyote?  (Read 495 times)

Offline jlbpa

• Trad Bowhunter
Has anyone shot a coyote?
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
If a coyote  is hit through both lungs  - can it still make vocal noise?

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has anyone shot a coyote?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
Back in september I double lunged a yote with my LB and he let out a god awful YELP sent chills down my spine 20 yards later he was rolling on the ground growling.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
Not for long!    :help:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
I've not shot one.  But anatomy classes tell me yes it could still make sounds.  They don't die because the "cut" lungs won't hold any air, they die because the "cut' lungs fill up with blood.

They could still "go through the motions" of making a yelp, howl, bark, growl for a while.  They may be pushing air across the vocal cords AND out the entry and exit wounds though.
Micah 6:8

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
They don't die because the "cut" lungs won't hold any air, they die because the "cut' lungs fill up with blood.
Well first they blackout due to the loss of blood pressure and lack of oxygen to the brain,then they die.
   :p

I've shoot a few with a bow and they all made noise. Mostly growling and snapping.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
The one i shot was GROWLING, YELPING and spinning like the Tazmanian devil. But he died.

Chad
For GOD so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. JOHN 3:16

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
I shot 27 last week with the rifle. (it's my job)

I did shoot one in Sept. with a longbow through the chest. It growled before dying. None of the rifle killed ones did. :)
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
I shot one a couple years ago a little farther back than lungs.Probably a gut shot.He jumped about 6 feet and started rolling but never made a sound.I was on the ground and tried to get another shot but just scared him away.I followed the blood to the edge of a lake and lost him.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by MikeW:
Well first they blackout due to the loss of blood pressure and lack of oxygen to the brain,then they die.
    :p  

I've shoot a few with a bow and they all made noise. Mostly growling and snapping.
Well,   actuallyyou can make a decent arguement that nobody/nothing dies from lack of oxygen...they die from the rapid buildup of carbon dioxide in the blood.  If you could magically stop your heart from beating as soon as the CO2 levels got into the toxic range you could probably buy yourself a few extra moments.   :D    :D    :D
Micah 6:8

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
mostly yelp  and almost allways growl took 4 this year last one I had a moose 100yrd away in field shot swamp dog he yelped and then growled the moose hardly lifted his head was not concerned about noise
Gord

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
The one I shot right behind the shoulder yelpbarked and died shortly after at 14 yards. I didn't hear any growling, he will make a good hat!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
I've never bow killed one.  They (I believe) are a great trophy with trad gear.  Definitely on my list...close a few times, no cigar.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
The one in my avatar yelped, growled and bit my arrow in two after being double-lunged with a second shot. The first hit the spine and she lost her back legs. The noises after the first shot were indescribable.

Offline LATradHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
i shot a bobcat last year with my compound device (i now realize they are not bows, they are "devices"  :)  ) and it pinned it to the ground with a double lung shot... i got off my stand for a look and it bowed up and hissed and made an awful squall before biting my arrow in two and spinning around the half stuck to the ground...after weighing my options, another arrow in the head at point blank range was my safest bet...im still waiting on the tanned hide from the taxidermist
52" Martin Rebel 45#@28"
Easton Legacy 2016
Zwickey  2-blade

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
Shedrock, I'm retired now with several "Dedicated" varmit rifles... how do I get hired??? I would just work for gas Money  :bigsmyl:  
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
Shot one at about five feet several years ago. She yelped, but not for long. I used to have a picture somewhere, but can't seem to find it.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
I shot one two years ago in December but missed high and hit him in the spine. No yelps. Last year I double lunged a bobcat at about ten yrd. She made all kinds of noise. They are both sly critters.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
I've only killed six yotes.,two with my recurve and four with a 12ga. sabot slug. The first one I shot with the bow was double lunged. It didn't make a sound but lay there snapping it's teeth and biting the arrow before it died. The second one with the bow was also double lunged and it made noises straight out of a nightmare. One I hit in the shoulder at 18yds. 3 times with the shotgun before it stopped moving and crawling. That was kind of freaky. There wasn't much left of him. (nut)
Rich Potter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©