3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you hunt in moccasins or similar?  (Read 764 times)

Offline UCBerzerkeley

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you hunt in moccasins or similar?
« on: November 06, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
I ask not so much because of the traditional element, but due to the inherent benefits of moccasins - quiet, comfortable, agile. Is there something out there people use and like a lot? I am not such a fan of a pair of boots.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you hunt in moccasins or similar?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
When I am just Kickin' around the House, You wont Catch me in anything Else!!  :D   They Arent WaterProof, and Not Very Warm.
  The Woods I Hunt has a Small, but  Much  Deeper Than It Looks, Soggy Feets is Not the Beginning of a Joyful Hunt.
  I hunt With Either that Good Old Standby "Green Muckin' Boots", or a Fine Pair of Rockys!! Of Course, being an Indiana Native, I load up for Hot,Cold,Wet Or Dry. Covers My Bases!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
No on the moccasins but I've kicked the boots off in favor of barefoot or sock feet.  On occasion I will hunt in a very light pair of thin soled tennis shoes.  All for the same reasons as wearing moccasins.  Not cool but effective.  Not fun at all in the dead of winter and wouldn't attempt in colder climates.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I have thrown a pair in my pack, because I've read how good they are for stalking, etc.   But I could never wear them for very long in the mountains where I hunt.  I need boots that I can walk miles in, and will protect my feet from rocks and brush.  When I do get onto some game, I've never had any time to change my footwear.  The moccasins have come in handy for deep stream crossings, to keep my boots and socks dry, but I don't think that's what they were intended for.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I have a pair of lace boots from Arrow moccasins and love 'em.  The most comfortable pair of 'boots' I've ever owned.  Mine are the double sole, so there's almost 1/2" of tough leather under my foot.

No leather boot is waterproof and adding gortex just makes you sweat.  Same with rubber.  Treat a good moc like any other leather boot (mink oil, etc) and there should be no issues.

I'm a fan of the arrow mocs, bu carl dyer makes a good moc as well.  Russell moccasins are excellent (and cost 2-3x as much)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Oh yeah, Every time. And since i am a ground pounder they help with walking pretty dang quiet since i can feel all the sticks under my moc's. Better than boots any day. I use the Catskill moc's and there darn expensive, but they last about 20 years, you just have to get them resoled about every 5 yrs or so. I even where them around town.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Howzit Taylor,

My friends and I carry a pair of dive boots called "Gumi". It's a neopreme type boot with a felt sole. We wear it over our socks as we stalk animals. It's comfortable enough for short stalks but I wouldn't want to wear them all day. The lava fields here are brutal. You can feel every twig and rock beneath your foot--- good when you need to cover ground silently, bad when you kick one lava rock----brings tears to your eyes.

I used to wear japanese "tabis" da ninja type with the felt soles a long time ago. These were great but because they were split toe, branches would get caught between the toes. Buggas hurt. Also the soles were thin felt so I felt each pointed lave rock.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but when weather permits (ie not wet enough for rubber boots) I wear a cheap pair of moccasin-like *slippers* I bought at Wally World.  They have very thin rubber soles and they're really comfortable but they look a bit... silly.

Oh and I think they cost about $4.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Let me hi-jack this thread slightly. Please forgive.

I use to wear a set of moccasins DAILY on campus, around the house...basically everywhere except work (farm) and hunting.  I never even considered since I get poison so easily and severely.

BUT are there any good moccasins in the $40-60 range?  Just plain ole "canoe" style moccasins.  I think my old ones were from eddie bauer or the likes.  Had a very thin/soft leather sole with a layer of crepe.  I stopped wearing them when the whole on the big toe got the size of a quarter.  I looked to replace them but gave up after awhile.
Micah 6:8

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 04:08:00 AM »
I gave up trying to find a good, mid-range moc a while back. It seems that you can either buy the cheap 'n' nasty $30 stuff or the really expensive Dyers, Arrows & Russels (Of the 3, Arrow seem to be the best value)
In the end I bought a pair of crépe soled 'Ghillie' boots. I'm not sure if they're available in the US (I'm sure they will be somewhere, try Google  ;)  ) but if you can find a pair, they're cheap (about $50 here) & hard wearing, yet were quiet enough for dry-grass stalking in Africa. The Crépe gives a good amount of protection against rocks & thorns, but is soft enough that you can feel them before you commit to the step anyway. Best fiddy bucks I've ever spent on shoes. Ooooh, they're re-soleable too!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »
Russel 8" lace up moccasins.Little native american trick...Keep the soles greased.That will help to prevent slipping on dry grass and the like..bd

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
I only hunt in my Arrow Mocs.  Greatest $ I evrer spent.  They ae soooo quiet it is amazing.  I get out late quite often.  I can slip up to my brush blind and have deer on the other side of it.  I found Arrow to be a great moc at a great price.  I have single sole and love them!  Just have to learn to use your toes when it is wet outside.  Someday I will order a 2nd pair with fur inside for the cold weather
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
got a link to arrow?

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
found it

http://www.arrowmoc.com/mocasins.html

which style have ya'll used and liked?

Are they as stiff as some look, and if so, whats the break in period like?

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
I have the lace boot from Arrow Moc.  I was at the shop a few years ago to check out everything.  About as much ankle support as my Timberland hikers and thick enough to turn any thorn.  The main boot is 1/4" chrome-tanned leather.  With the double sole, that puts 1/2" thick leather under your feet.  Break in period was less than an hour before they completely conformed to my foot - went pheasant hunting the morning after I got them and the morning dew helped to wet-mould them to my feet.

The Brush boot looks nice with lots of ankle support when laced tight, but the 1/4" thick leather uppers would need some break in time to flex the way you need them too - no more than a typical boot.

The mukluk sport boots have a more flexible suede upper and a crepe sole.  I talked to him about replacing the suede upper with a smooth elk upper (better water proofing) and he was fine with that idea.  An extremely nice boot, but it can't be re-soled when the crepe sole wears out.  Traction would be excellent with this one, though I don't have a problem with standard leather.

My next pair of boots will likely be the insulated mukluk.  I'd like to get an uninsulated pair as well for the early season, but after a few years my lace boots still look like new so I don't really see the need.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
This past summer i bought a pair of mocs from a guy.Eastern Indian style.Made from elk or moose brain taned leather.I wore them a few times while hunting.Felt pretty cool on the feet.Someday i would like to make my own out of brain tan deer hide.
Harold Wetzler

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
I make my own...kinda caveman like   :knothead:
And I have used mine this year while in the early season while it was still warm.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
The best thing I have found for being quiet and as scent free as possible is a pair of LL Bean boots with the insoles removed. I can feel everything under my feet because the rubber is pretty thin without the insoles. And the blessing of dry feet is pretty nice. The down side? They can be pretty cold in the dead of winter, especially up north. It seems like the cold goes right through the rubber. They are good still-hunting boots.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
Thanks, Jeremy. The lace boots are the ones I been eyeballing......maybe Santa will bring me a pair  ;)

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 05:08:00 AM »
I barefoot everywhere.  Haven't hunted with a bow yet (still learning to fire one well enough) but have been wandering around woods for years and have no problems whatsoever getting close to any animal like this.  I find rats are the biggest problem as i nearly stand on them because they don't detect normal human footfalls approaching, i'm sure i'll get bitten by one one day.      :)
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©