3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas 2008 semi-live hunt - Friday morning I finally did it (page 4 pictures) :)  (Read 2340 times)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm leaving in the next hour or two for my 2008 Kansas hunt. I've been going out there several years now, love the people I hunt with, the country, the big bucks, all of it.

This is a huge hunt for me. I have struggled in the past on traditional hunting, having went back to compounds and all. I've lost a couple of animals too. Anyway, long story short here I am, shooting very well, practicing from my tree stands, changed my equipment and I'm shooting a Zipper recurve, 52# or so, 28" ICS 400 weighted shafts, 100 gr brass inserts and either Steel Force 2 blades or Zwickey's - total arrow weight is about 680 grains.

Western Kansas, farm country, we'll be hunting the creek bottoms. Here are some camtracker photo's of what we can expect to see           :)        

Mark saw 10 bucks today, one was a 160" 10 and the other a 170-180 thumper of a buck. No shots, but the big bucks are moving. This should be an incredible hunt. The weather is turning bad, highs in the 40's, snow/rain, high winds - brutal weather to sit in, tough weather to hunt in but fine fine deer hunting weather!

I'll update each night. I'm not holding out for a monster buck, I won't shoot a small one either because of the way the people I hunt with hunt. Their goals are much higher than mine are is all!

That crab claw buck though .... wow I love that unique rack ! ( top photo, picture taken this morning !! )

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Beaut animal, that one!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Brad, this is going to be a fun.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
good luck....don't even think about the past struggles bud....get'um close and hammer'um!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow!  Looks like you're in for a great hunt.  I'll be following this one along looking for updates!  :thumbsup:  
Convincing yourself that you can do it and having complete confidence is half the battle - sounds like you are ready!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Brad... pay close attention to what my buddies Guru and Whip are saying. They are right on the money and they are killers.

Don't think....DO!!

:thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm jealoous!  I should be there as I type, but Hurricane Ike added an extra week of "vacation" onto my bank account.  Have a great time and good luck.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Good luck! Where in western Kansas will you be hunting?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm shivvering just waiting on the outcome!!  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
headed that way myself this afternoon!  can't wait!!
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck Brad! Glad to see you back shooting traditional. It will just mean that much more to you when you put one of those Kansas monster bucks down!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Best of luck to ya!!!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey Brad, I have a trail camera picture of a buck that is somewhat similar to your crab claw buck. This buck does not have the real pronounced crab claw and lacks some of the height and mass but it still reminds me of that crab claw buck.

To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Forget the past, pick a spot and let her fly. What do they say on that TV commercial "You can do it". Good luck. I can taste the backstrap already.  :archer:

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
It took me 11 hours to get here, I left at 2:00 am. LONG drive. It took 10 minutes to leave and off to hang stand we go.

Driving into the ranch we saw this buck

I hung one stand in my favorite magic tree spot. Hot scrape 5 yards below me, 7-8 yards to the trail they use. NICE.

Driving to stand #2 we saw Pinchers - the buck I posted that I said was unique and I liked. BIGGER than we'd thought he was geeessh !

Stand #2 hung, off to stand #3 in a place that doesn't get hunted. Sweet looking spot, we jumped bucks going in to scout it and saw does too. A bend in the creek bottom, standing corn on one side, alphafa on the other. Trails beat down and monster scrapes and rubs.

I chose a bit cottonwood to hang the stand.

I did get to hunt 2 hours tonight in another location, saw one little 8 points.

Still, 2 shooter bucks we saw today just hanging stands !

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow!!

The anticipation is great, and I'm not even hunting there. Good luck!!  :thumbsup:

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
Heck of a day - Alvis shot this mongo 160"+ 10 this morning at 8:20 am, home made longbow and arrows  :)   Tickled to death for him

19 1/2" inside spread, 24" main beams .... really carried his mass just a fantastic buck !

I saw one little buck this morning, but this afternoon I sat in my cottonwood stand. Seconds after sitting down a big 8 bounded through the creek bottom, and I had to shoot over a limb to get him and hit the limb! 1" away from getting that buck.  :(   I saw 2 more smaller bucks and rigth at dark a MONGO buck came in to 15 yards, no way to shoot ..... he was just like the above buck but with 12" tines !!!!!!

Tommorrow is promising and cold !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©