3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TORGES SEAT  (Read 985 times)

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
TORGES SEAT
« on: November 07, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »
I just wanted to say...

I saw the Torges seat on here and made one but was very sceptical... until I put it on a tree....

Anyone  that walks in to the sticks thinking about sitting should always carry one...

I was concerned abouit standing up and it falling tothe ground too easy - not even an issue - furthermore - I shot my R/D bow from it at 20yds and was having no problems keeping them in the zone ...

Its a great concept. I used the groove and knot on one side and the 2 holes on the other...it seams to be the best and simple and works great - quiet, and easy...
" Hunt like the Owl - move only your head and your eyes "

Offline groyce

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TORGES SEAT
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
Tom,

where did you find the link for the seat?

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
WOW, me too. Made mine in about 30 minutes last night and tried it on a few trees in the yard as it was getting dark. I used the two hole and slip knot as you did, works great. I tried it on a Poplar, Pine, and Maple. Only seemed to work on the maple. Not a problem , just about all the trees in my area are oaks, maples, or some other rough barked tree. Just could not keep the rope to stay up on the slick Poplar or Pine. If I had to use it on a Poplar or Pine I would just put a screw in step under the rope on the back of the tree to keep it from sliding down on ya.

Mine is about 15 X 20 so I think I will saw it in half and use the full piano hinge on the bottom to make it even smaller for the carry in and out. For the money and time it is pretty slick little project. However, I am also going to buy the new aluminum version of the Gorilla tree seat in Cabelas. I hunted with an outfitter that had all Gorilla treestands and this tree seat is the same exact seat that is used on their treestands. VERY COMFY ! This tree seat straps firmly to the tree and even flips up against the tree. Has backpack straps for carrying and weighs about 3 pounds. I will report back once I have hunted out of both for a few weeks.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Have used the Torges seat extensively this year.  Really a good deal.  Does not hold all that well on trees lacking excessive bark. I am very satisfied with it!!!

jf
Hill

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
Used it. Love it. Shot my buck while hunting with it. I had time to stand before the shot and I think I did. But I would recomend the seat to anyone.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Bucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Must have been the theme for the day...I made one yesterday also. Mine is 12x18. The 12" may be a little short though. Also, I used 1/4" rope (all I had at the house), I'll be replacing with 3/8". 1/4" stretches too much. I also considered running a couple screws into the end that contacts the tree. Maybe leave the head stick out a bit to help it grip.

groyce, here is the link...Deans posterior must be much smaller than mine if he can sit on one 12x12 though.

http://www.bowyersedge.com/treeseat.html
Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare?

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
I've been a big fan of this style seat for years now. It ties down on my hunting pack real easy. I bring one along with me whenever I'm in the woods even if I'm not hunting. Here's a few pics of what I'm calling my deluxe version. I made it from the seat of an old Lone Wolf climber. Believe it or not with my pad to make it more comfortable it only weighs a hair over a pound.

All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Do a search in 'POWOW' for Torges seat... there are quite a few posts actually you want to look at...

Offline groyce

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks Bucket. Looks like I have a project for today.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Vaughn, That is kool looking I need to find a old one so I can make one of them too.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
I made one with the key hole on one side and the two hole adjustment on the other. Works great! Took me a while experimenting to get it to grab on smooth trees, I was trying to have the rope too high.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Yep, Shaun nailed it , if your having problems with it folding up when you stand up try lowering the rope height. I have no problems using mine on "slick tree's" such as maple and beech. I also use the 2 hole method on one side it seems easier to adjust for me.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I thought about putting two I bolts at the back for a ratchet strap to help with slick trees. I just got a double bull seat and I like it but its not as portable as the Torges.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
On slick trees I wrap the rope twice. Never slips.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
It torges seat fever! Seems like the thing to talk about on a bunch of threads. Hey Vaughn, I did up my Lone Wolf as well and it is great. BTW I won't be hunting tomorrow.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
on slick trees I chop em down and sit on the stump....  :biglaugh:

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
I made a couple for this season.  I drilled two holes along the back where it fits against the tree.  I use a bungee cord to wrap around the tree and hook in the holes.  That way no matter what you do, it won't slide off the tree.  I also bring along another bungee to wrap around the tree up where the rope wraps around to keep it from sliding down.  Very little extra weight.  This allows me to fold the seat up against the tree if I want to stand and shoot and the seat doesn't fall off the tree.  Then it just folds back down when I want to sit again.  I think I'm going to add a couple of teeth to the back side so it will bite a tree a little better.

Aaron

Offline Matt Stuckey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
Heading to the woods with mine for the first time right now.

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
Just made mine today out of 3/4" plywood and 1/4" rope. I am 235lbs so I made it 12" X 18". Probably could of went 12 x 16 just fine. I cut up a piece of old inner tube and tacked it when it rests against the tree. It weighs in at 2.7 lbs. but I have more I could trim off if need be. Very lite though the weigh it is. Dont hardly know it is hanging at my shoulder. Thanks for the post and great ideas.
Danny J
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
I have a love/hate thing going with my Torges seat.

Pluses:
* it is light
* it takes little room in the pack
* it's easily adjustable (with practice)
* it puts you right up next to the tree

Minuses:
* it feels like sitting on a hard board with sharp edges and makes bits of my anatomy fall asleep or hurt like crazy.
* it is loud (IMO) to set up / tear down.
* did I mention that it hurts me... south of the equator?

I'll use it for a few days and then start shopping for better seats.  I don't find any so I just sit on the ground (and miss deer when my lower limb bonks into things like it did two days ago).  Then I'll use it for a few more days, etc.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©