3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3-D set ups  (Read 375 times)

Offline cedarshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
3-D set ups
« on: November 07, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I will be setting up 3D targets at our club next year and am looking for suggestions for some interesting shots. We currently put the 3D's on a pallet and place the target in front of our butts that have heavy rubber stops behind them. I did set up a bear feeding in a barrel[head inside] at one of our treestands and received good comments. Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3-D set ups
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
a moving target is always fun   :thumbsup:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
An animal drinking from a pond or a creek is good. More  exciting prospect losing your arrow if you miss.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
any chance you can lose mame or destroy an arrow makes it interesting!  set difficult shots between trees obsticals etc be creative

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
At our club we made stands that keep the 3D's free standing.  The wall has old conveyor belting hanging so arrows are not destroyed usually.  We also have a bunch of trees, brush etc that we can move around. We have a turkey that we hang from a rope on the ceiling or one of those Rhinehart 18 sided balls.  We have a simulated treestand, and few other props we use.
Damn Nice guy

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
I liked one at Sawmill (Pa) last year where, at the top of the ski mountain, they had a deer standing right at the edge of a pretty steep drop.  If you missed, that arrow was off to la-la-land.  Pretty un-nerving.

Annother one in Ohio had a flying turkey on a zip wire, at Denton had a running pig, and Sawmill was an alligator scooting across the water.  Those are a blast.

The mountain lion or strutting turkey out on a 4x4 cantelever "limb" is always a good one to choke on....

Some longer shots over water are always interesting as yardage becomes tougher to judge, especially if it is big targets.

and the raccoon on the grill (cover opened as a backstop/arrow killer) is good for a laugh.

though this one got a little carried away....

then there is the steel deer - no comment there

and lastly is just the dang trees.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Something simple is to put a 5 gal. bucket and make them shoot sitting down on the bucket. Most people never practice shooting sitting down. Simple and free. We sometimes set up a popup blind and have a turkey target to shoot from the blind.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
I have shot a couple ranges with running rivers behind the target,  makes you concentrate real good and possibly try swiping  an arrow out of your buddies back quiver before the shot.  :D  

Most of the 3D shoots out here do not involve a backstop other than forrest and lots of brush. Try that with a "One Arrow shoot", very intimadating!
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
Any stake setup that makes you take advantage of the flexibility of traditional archery works well.  Shots where you have to kneel, squat down and/or cant your bow different ways, shots uphill and downhill with minor obstacles.
Moving targets are always a blast!
Set up a real short "critter" shot, followed by a long large animal shot.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©