3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Silvertip ? Morrison ?Blacktail? Comparison Please  (Read 539 times)

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Silvertip ? Morrison ?Blacktail? Comparison Please
« on: November 08, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
I'm looking at possibly "One More" [that's what I tell her] 3 piece re-curve.  I'm not familiar with these but, seems in the post's the these are good choices. Can those of you, who have shot and have some experience with them them please give me a comparison? Also if you were to looking at buying a new bow which would be your choice?  I prefer Craftsman ship, grip comfort, loudness of bow, customer care, and Speed, in that order.

Any impressions you can help with will be great.
Thank you, Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Silvertip ? Morrison ?Blacktail? Comparison Please
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Sorry I can't help you with comparisons, as I only have the Silvertip. I'm very happy with it, and for all those qualities you mentioned.

I think you should get all three!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
After 2 years of reading and trying to make up my mind on my first custom bow, I ordered a Silvertip.  I don't get it until May.  I can't wait!  :archer:
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Gene you know you can't have just one LOL! I haven't shot the bows you mention but i've been around alot of recurves in my time and so far the Robertson has been the best. It has all of the qualities you mention including an incredibly comfortable grip, and is one of the quietest recurves i've ever had! You know you've got to shoot them to decide for sure, so now you have four on your list LOL! Good luck with this choice Bud!

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Gene,

Owened them all at the same time, sold all but my Silvertip and the sale of the other 2 funded the purchase of 2 more Silvertip curves    :biglaugh:   . Grip is perfect, workmanship is equal to the other 2 you have mentioned, silent w/ a little brace height fine tuning and wooly whispers and the speed is there, sneaky albeit but it is a very hard hitting bow meaning it sends the arrow with authority. I just plain love em! I have sold ALL my other curves excpet for my Dye trail's end which if I find another Silvertip to buy it could be next on the chopping block.

Kevin
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Gene, I've owned all three of the bows you mentioned, all very nice! Of the three, I preferred the Blacktail. But... I'm gonna take the same road as Ken, and make things a little more interesting. After shooting all you mentioned, and a few more, the one I've settled on is a Dale Dye, Kempf Kwyk Styk a very close second!!! The first 3 preferences you listed are what sold me on the Dye, haven't had an opportunity to speak with Dale yet, but from what I hear customer care is not a problem, and the speed is in the same neighborhood as the others mentioned. Just my view. Guss

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
Gene, I've owned all of them too and I'm w/ Guss on the Dye.....they just fit me well and hit where I look. Now the sad part, I no longer own a Dye, but I'm keepin' an eye peeled for another.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks guys. This is getting tougher.  Sure wish there was a way to try some of these out however Trad. shops are scarce in my area. No one at the small local shoots I have attended have had any of these I could shoot and try. Guess I'll wait to choose in a day or two as the wife is always calling me "sporatic".  I'll go try and find some more posts on the ones you just mentioned,
thanks again,
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
Blacktail Elite

PBS Associate Member

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Never owned a Blacktail.  I had a Silvertip and two Morrison's (a Shawnee and a Cheyenne) both with foam core limbs.  They are just too different to compare.  Both are really excellent in all respects.  The Morrison's are FAST and smooth, but the Silvertip was probably the smoothest shooter I've had.  We are talking very subjectional and minute differences though.  The Silvertip is a pretty heavy risered bow, IMHO.  I like that and I love it's grip.  They helped me shoot better.  The Morrison's are lighter physically and I had a distinct preference for the Cheyenne's riser design.  Great, great bows anyway you look at it.  Man, to make this decision without putting them all in your hands at the same time is just almost impossible.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I own a Blacktail and a Morrison Cheyenne and a Dale Dye. I have owned several Silvertips. For me, I shoot all three the same. All are within a couple of fps for speed, the Dye is the quietest with the Blacktail being second and Cheyenne third for quiet. The grips are similar with the Blacktail being a bit thinner in the grip area. The Blacktail and Dye are medium grips and the Cheyenne is a high wrist grip. The Silvertip grip just did not fit me well,otherwise great bows.

Another to consider is the Brackenbury Quest and the Robertson Falcon. I have a Quest and a Robertson Gryfalcon, they are right there with my other bows for speed, quiet and looks.

Of them all I could not choose if I had to downsize to just one bow, like I said I shoot them all equally well.

If you are looking for a bow for right away, I would check out Bob Morrison's and Dick Robertson's site as they both have instock bows. Otherwise for the Dye,Blacktail and Brack you are looking at a very long wait, over a year for each.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
:D  

I am almost the exact opposite as Danny...the Silvertip grip fits me perfect.  I could NOT get used to the grip on the Blacktail.  The only Morrison I have owned was a Shawnee.  Nice bow, but not the ONE.  For 2 or 3 years, I traded one bow after another till I finally got a hold of the Silvertip.  That is something YOU need to decide, you are going to have to try the ones you would like to own.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat Gene. Not much going on here in trad so to try a different bow I usually have to buy one of them.  
    Last on my list of those bows would be the Blacktail.  Although beautifully crafted, the grip on the one I had felt too small and I just didn't shoot it well.
    The Dye has a nice palm-filling grip that I like and as Danny says, they are quiet.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
My 3 favorites are Silvertip,Silvertip, Silvertip! I own a bunch of them!!

Offline Frank1107

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
I have owned 3 Morrisons, shot several Silvertips, both very nice bows. Then I shot a Dale Dye, which for me is the perfect combination of speed, accuracy (hits where I look), grip, quietness and workmanship second to none. I have owned 6 , I have 3 right now and I am going to order another. Yes, the wait is long, but you can easily buy one like new and enjoy it until yours arrives. Dale is a fantastic person to deal with.

Frank

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 01:34:00 AM »
I have not shot the Silvertips, so I cannot speak about them. I do have many other bows, most of them 3 piece takedowns. I have Morrisons in the Cheyenne, Shawnee and ILF models. They are all great, but the one I shoot the best (by a very slim margin) is a Mini-14 ILF riser with foam/carbon Dakota longbow limbs. The Cheyennes and the Shawnees are close behind. I do like my Blacktails and even have one on order at this time, but the grip is not as comfortable for me as the Morrisons and I do not prefer the heavier weight of the riser. The Blacktails are, to my eye, the prettiest bow made and they shoot very well too. The Morrisons shoot better for me and are some faster. The craftsmanship of the Blacktails is incredible, but the main advantage it has in that respect is the sheer beauty of the bow, not that others are not just as well made from a functional standpoint. I definitely agree with Danny Rowan that the Brackenbury bows, particularly the Quest and the Non-Typical, should also be at or near the top of your list when it comes to a 3 piece takedown. If Kevin (Limbow) says the Silvertips are great, he should know, but a Brackenbury, a Morrison, a Blacktail, or several other brands of bow could be the best for you. Like you, I also love my Shrews, but there is no way I would give up the Bracks or the Morrisons, and I'm not going to cancel my order for another Blacktail either. If I could only keep one 3 piece takedown, I would either pick a Morrison or one of my Brack Quests, and based upon how well I shoot my Morrison ILF, I would probably end up with it. Fortunately, I don't have to make that choice, which is why I have 30+ bows on my rack with more on order. If anyone wants to send me a Silvertip or a Dale Dye to try to prove to me it is the best, I am willing to try one or both out and return the bow sometime within the next couple of years.   ;)  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »
Allan, now that right there is funny,LOL.

30+ bows, wow, I do not feel so bad now,LOL. Next time my wife says something about a new bow I am gonna show here this thread, maybe that will make her shut up, LOL.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline longbow1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
Gene,

I also own several of each in different weights and lengths. Keeping in mind your preferences, I would have to go with the Silvertip. But, you can't go wrong with any one of them. The only advise I would give is try to shoot all three before you purchase one. As far as I'm concerned, the grip is the most important factor. Decide what style grip you perfer for your shooting style. Do you like a high wrist, low wrist ect. These are decisions you will have to make before you place your order. I would hate to wait a year only to discover that the bow doesnt fit you or your style of shooting. Just my opinion!
PBS ASSOCIATE MEMBER
NJ TRADITIONAL ARCHERS MEMBER

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 02:07:00 AM »
Thank's to all of you for all of your information and suggestions. Now, to just decide based on all of the wonderful info. you have all supplied.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
Blacktail Elite

PBS Associate Member

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I have a Blacktail. I love the grip on it. It's a very quiet bow upon arrow release. No handshock and very smootyh drawing. I ordered a second Blacktail in September. I have small hands so I sent a tracing to Norm and the grip for my bow hand is perfect.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Never shot a Slivertip,shot a few Morrison's, I've owned two Blacktails and still have one. Nothing wrong with the Morrison but I like the Blacktail better. I'm about to place an order for a one piece Blacktail. If Brackenbury made a one piece recurve I'd order one.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©