3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Caribou hunting with trad gear  (Read 374 times)

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Caribou hunting with trad gear
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Have any of you guys hunted Caribou with Trad gear? If so, whom did you hunt with, where, etc? Do any outfitters cater to trad hunters? I would like to pursue this. Thanks.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Caribou hunting with trad gear
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
Caribou are Made for trad gear! IMO, killing a caribou with a gun is cold blooded murder! I mean just pick out the one you want and shoot him :-(

I've been on several hunts with different outfitters. My favorite was 3 Rivers Lodge in Labrador. We mmmmissed the migration but still, 8 trad guys took 12 bulls. Beware the some of the Quebec hunts. If you don't hit the migration, you can spend all week playing poker in camp.

A few of the weeks bulls.

Matt Schuster, me, Larry Jim-Bob Cleary, Bill Carlson, Mark Ulschmidt and ??????
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
What Biggie said.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:39:00 AM »
I went back to Labrador two years later. Really missed the migration that time but they flew us to where they were. The food is the best, running hot and cold water, heated (wood heat) cabins, one guide per two hunters....it'll spoil you. The fellow whose name Biggie forgot was Durwood Fuller from  Ga. He won the hunt, I think, thru Biggie's state trad. hunters org.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Be sure to read about the recent debacle with one of the Quebec outfitters.  Being there when the migration occurs seems mostly to be a situation of feast or famine.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
Thanks Bill, how could I ever forget Durwood Fuller!

Forgot to mention that E Don Thomas has hunted here a few times as well. There are a few articles in old issues of Trad Bowhunter
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
I appreciate the info.  I will look them up. Anyone plan on a return trip?
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
.....and you can't beat the fishing. When I was there with Biggie I was unable to hook into any of the lake trout. My second trip with Eldon Jandreau allowed me to break my lake trout jinx....must have caught over a dozen of them in one small spot where a stream fed into the river.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I hunted NWT with True North Safari's

http://www.truenorthsafaris.com/

The Warburton Bay camp is made for bowhunters.  Lots of short trees to use for cover and rolling ground.  We had a bunch of cariboo and each took two big bulls.

I would highly recommend them to any hunter.

Also the fishing in the lake was lay in the bottom of the boat giggling fun.  More fish then you can imagine.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
I've hunted Quebec twice and as Biggie already stated, it can be a crapshoot. First time up there were nine of us in camp....5 trad and 4 wheeies. Migration hadn't reached us yet and 6 Caribou were killed. We really did alot of walking. Second time up we had 12 in camp. Trad wheelie spit was 6 and 6. 24 bulls killed in 5 days! If you want any particulars about the outfitter, feel free to pm or email me. Caribou are definitely made for stickbows! On the member video forum here on tradgang, there are some vids/pics of that second hunt listed under Hammenstafer or Bolin and Hammenstafer. Several other members have video there as well. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
its like my ultimate hunting dream, hope I get to go on a caribou hunt with trad gear some day, have fun and take lots of pics when you go
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
I hunted Mountain Caribou in BC a few years ago.  I got a nice bull, but the outfitter had never had a bow hunter before.  Although I had a good hunt, I would recommend you stick with an outfitter that caters to bowhunters.  There was a good article by Fred Asbel in TBM a couple years ago.  He has hunted about all types of Caribou.  I just reread it last night.  I think he hunted the last week of the season.  No bugs, but you are taking a chance on the migration.  Seems they hit a lot of snow as well.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Where ever you go try and time it so you are shooting bulls with hard horn not velvet. Unless you don't care but velvet sucks.
hunt it

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
Parsons Pond Outfitters Newfoundland.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
I have only been on one Caribou hunt, and I too went to 3 rivers in Labrador. Someone said they even have a picture of me on their website right now. I believe I was there the year after biggie was there.  Those guys left some arrows in the lodge.  I killed 2 good bulls with my Habu recurve.  I agree with Biggie.  The hardest thing about hunting caribou is finding them in the first place.  After that it's really not too tough.  Conditions are perfect for stalking.  Normally windy, with soft Tundra.  All you gotta do is find one you like and go get him.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Also my dream hunt? Thanks for the info.  :campfire:    :archer:

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Alright, I'll bite...why is velvet undesirable?  Is it just the effort in preserving it?

Always thought it 'looked' good on the animal, but know it's a different game in keeping it that way after the fact.

(Off topic, but does anyone know if you can mount a moose in the half-velvet bloody phase?  It would probably look gross in a normal sized room...but in one of those BIG western ranch houses I think it has amazing potential.)
Micah 6:8

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Any Quebec outfitters?  My father-in-law wants to go and will be hunting with a rifle.  He wants me to join him but I want to bowhunt.  A lot of the outfitters say they handle both.  Is this reasonable?

Jason

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Soilarch, PM sent.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Soilarch:
Alright, I'll bite...why is velvet undesirable?  Is it just the effort in preserving it?

Always thought it 'looked' good on the animal, but know it's a different game in keeping it that way after the fact.

(Off topic, but does anyone know if you can mount a moose in the half-velvet bloody phase?  It would probably look gross in a normal sized room...but in one of those BIG western ranch houses I think it has amazing potential.)
it is a matter of taste... I left the velvet on mine

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©