3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: leaving a recurve strung?  (Read 207 times)

Offline pipe

• Trad Bowhunter
leaving a recurve strung?
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
Please share any opinions regarding leaving one's recurve bow strung over a period of time. Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: leaving a recurve strung?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
I have a 40+ yr old 'glass backed' recurve.
I leave it strung and shoot 3 to 5 times a week.
As long as you shoot it weekly; I've been told, leave it strung.
IF, it is all wood....unstring it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 04:24:00 AM »
When I was a new bow shop dealer I called Martin and asked the question should I leave a bow strung and or unstrunk in the bow shop. They told me with the new materials you will not lose a oz of draw weight. The also said most damage came from a bow being strung and or unstrunk with out the aid of a bow stringer. They also said they had a bow in the mfg area that had been strung for over 20 years and still is the same peak draw weight as the day mfg....so I leave the bows strung during the peak season of May thru NOv and then take down and just store on two wood pegs. Now for my own bows they never get unstrung, as I continue to shoot each of the 3 bows somtime in a month time...

now if you have a self bow made 100% from wood, you never leave it strunck as it will take a set.

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 05:41:00 AM »
Glass backed bows can be left strung.bowdoc

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
I'm old school. Although they say bows can be left strung, I unstring mine, with a bow stringer that came with the bow, every time after I shoot it.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline pipe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
thank you.  I unstring my all wood recurve with a bow stringer after almost every session.  I keep hearing different opinios.  This helps and will will just keep unstringing.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
An all natural bow without carbon or glass must be unstrung after shooting or the bow will take a bunch of set.

A glass bow can be left string until the string comes apart from old age and not be hurt at all.

Other then to make adjustments, my Orion recurve has been strung since I returned from elk hunting in September.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Personally, I have never left one of my bows strung longer than 15 years.  Of course I unstrung it every so often to change strings, but that was about it.  I store them in a cool place away from direct sunlight as well.  I usually hang them from two pegs near the string silencers.  Hope it helps.  Also I always use a quality bow stringer.   :archer:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
I leave my glass bows strung all the time and take my selfbow down everytime i shoot it.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
I told this story before but its really one of my favorite bow stories.I purchased a 60" 65# 1958 Bear Kodiak at a flee market.I bought the bow,quiver and arrows of which it all belonged to the sellers father.I noted it had a Bear Archery factory string on it and the bow was strung.I asked him how long the bow been strung.He told me his father bought the bow quiver arrows and accs.all in 1958 or 1959 he was not quit sure which year(the bow was a 1958) and it had been strung in 1958 and was never unstrung.It hung in the garage all those years strung.I pruchased all the items and headed for home.I did stop at Northwest Archery which was near my house at the time.I told Joe StCharles the story about the bow being strung for nearly 50 years....We put on a new string and Joe scaled the bow for me right then.Guess what,yap she was dead nuts 65#'s.Now I ai'nt saying this would be true with every bow.As mentioned self bows should always be unstrung when not in use.But laminated bows I really think its best to leave them strung.Well maybe not for 50 years but I don't think it hurts them at all...bowdoc

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©