3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow question...  (Read 157 times)

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
New bow question...
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
I started trad archery a few weeks ago and i'm shooting a Martin X200 35lb, pulling to 30".

I'm now considering my next bow, which i intend to be my main hunting bow when i get good enough with it, but for now it'll be mainly something to just build my muscles up with while i learn to shoot properly on the X200.

Anyway, i'm considering the Martin Hunter at 45lb.  Anyone any thoughts as to this being a good choice for me and my 30" drawer, or is there something better i could go for instead - bearing in mind this is the bow i'll be buying to hunt with?

I'm not too bothered about it looking pretty (probably get it camo dipped anyway), i just want a one piece recurve that will do an awesome job of shooting arrows.

Thanks for any opinions and help.

:)
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow question...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
I think a Martin Hunter  would be a good choice,it's 62" long and should easliy handle your 30" draw length.Martin Hunter is a solid well made and fast recurve,I like one piece bows myself.I don't believe you could go wrong in picking a Martin Hunter,I have had several Martin bows.But mainly I'm a longbow fan,Vision,Savannah and Bamboo Viper.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Freefeet,

I believe that would be an excellent choice.  I bought one new for my son (45 lb Martin Hunter) this year and he loves it.  It draws smoothly and zips the arrow out there.  I liked it so much, I searched for a used one and recently found one here on Tradgang.  

Think about used - you get get a great bow for a lot less $$.  The bow is about $500 new and can be had for around $300 in almost new condition.  Also consider a Damon Howatt Hunter  (from the company that Martin bought out) which you can get for $175 - $250.  

There are lots of other choices, but you can't really go wrong with the Martin Hunter.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Any more opinions on if there's a better bow for me?

I've got a clear credit card so i'm not too worried about the cost as long as i'm getting good value.

:)
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
freefeet:

A lot of people put down Martin's bows because there inexpensive! The Martin line is probably one of the best values in the industry. There head bowyer Larry Hatfield is one of the best at his craft. Don't be ashamed at using a Martin bow there excellent bows.

Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©