3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Movement Q.  (Read 280 times)

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer Movement Q.
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Does wind direction affect deer movement?  That is, will deer alter thier daily movements/travel routes so as to always travel into the wind?
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Movement Q.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:34:00 AM »
I do find that the wind for the hunter does play a key part. Now for deer I think they will always walk with the wind in there face as they graze. Now if you jump them and or take a shot at them they will just take off to get away ....
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
After the last 3 days of howling wind here in Kansas I can say that I've seen deer going in every direction.  Into the wind, with the wind, quartering the wind and cross the wind.  I think they'll go wherever they want when they want.

I'll qualify this though, our cover is linear creek bottom 50 to 75 yards across surrounded by open fields.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
saw five different bucks yesterday and every one was walking with (same direction as) the wind.

ChuckC

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I think deer use the wind regardless of the orientation of their travel.

If they are quartering to or away from the wind, they are still "down wind" from anything 45 degrees off to one side or the other. I have seen bucks trolling for does do this. It covers more ground for them than walking straight into the wind.

I have seen deer bedded down with the wind at their backs. They are depending on their nose to warn them of what’s coming up behind, and their eyes to scope out what is in front of them.

A deer going straight down wind (which I think only rarely happens, they will almost always be at some angle to the wind) can see ahead and smell what’s happening behind them.

I think in strong, gusty conditions, most deer tend to quarter the wind to keep it out of their face and ears.

Think about it though, going straight into the wind only lets you smell what is directly ahead. Quartering (or at least at some angle) gives you a sampling of everything you walk past.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Of the last five bucks I've Killed, four >125"PY, none of them were walking into the wind. Three were walking with the wind quartering over their back and one was with a crosswind. I think deer movement patterns where I hunt are a combination of topography, cover and prevailing wind. Most of the Whitetail study data that I've read about tracking radio collared deer mostly supports what I've observed in the field. I think the terrain/topo is a better indicator of deer patterns. I then take the wind into consideration when planning where to access/hunt. However, the deer I hunt didn't read the studies and they don't always follow the plan!!

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Here in the hills/mountains of northern NJ the wind rarely blows the same direction for more than a day or two at a time. It may be from the south today and from the northwest tomorrow. Yet, in the preseason you can often set your watch by local deer patterns. They bed during the day in brushy areas or on ridges close to crop fields and enter the fields before dark using the same trail every day regardless which way the wind may be blowing.

This may change a bit after seasons open but often they will keep the same schedule/route but just wait till full dark to emerge from cover.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Our wind in MS tends to be from the South. If all deer moved into the wind, hunting would be fantastic on the Gulf coast! If they all moved with the wind at their back, they would all end up in Canada.

Deer don't always do anything. I think they go where the mood strikes them within their home range, regardless of the wind direction. Of course they use the wind constantly, but I don't think they "plan" their activities based on its direction. That would require a degree of brain power that I don't think they possess.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
[QB] Our wind in MS tends to be from the South. If all deer moved into the wind, hunting would be fantastic on the Gulf coast! If they all moved with the wind at their back, they would all end up in Canada.
LOL!  Thanks for the opinions guys!  I guess I'll just make sure the wind is blowing my stink the right way and let fate do the rest.   ;)
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©