3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shot Ethics --- What would you have done?  (Read 615 times)

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shot Ethics --- What would you have done?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Heh - every time I pass on a shot that I might have made (too much obstruction, light a bit too low, deer just a bit out of range or moving too much) I second guess that decision for weeks.  It's still the right decision though.

If the shot isn't high percentage for you (and it sounds like, in your judgment, this one wasn't), then don't take the shot.  You seem to have made the right choice.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
You did the right thing .....I did the wrong thing.

Three days ago I took an ill advised shot through some brush at a walking 8 pt buck. I saw good antlers and got so excited I took what amounted to a circus shot. I missed clean with no harm done to the deer. Fortunately, he and I both learned a lesson with no bad consequences.

I also took a 20yd running shot at a coyote last night. Again I missed clean and learned a lesson with no harm done.

Earlier, I posted on here that I wouldn't take more than a 12 yd shot, but broke my word on that. I HAVE learned my lesson....and you did the right thing. I would have been upset had I wounded either animal. Luck was with me and them.

-Charlie

Offline pooahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
The regret you feel is nowhere near as bad as how you would (probably) feel if you had hit him too far back, or too low, or too high and lost him.  To those who say "you can't kill 'em if you don't shoot" I say there's worse things than not killing them. The futile 6-hour search resulting in no dead dear is a real bummer.

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I agree...

I am pretty conservative with my shooting, but lately have been thinking along the "you can't kill 'em if you don't shoot" and it is a dangerous mentality.

Buckeye, sorry to hear about the miss!

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
No way   "[dntthnk]"
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
You made the right choice...imagine the one time that it did not come together and you end up wounding a deer like that.  Sometimes the ones that get away are more memorable than those that don't.  For some strange reason they only seem to get larger in our minds as time goes on...
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Yeah, I just can't believe I passed up a caribou in Oklahoma!    :biglaugh:

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
Divinecedar,Dino...and all others who have the stones to pass on a questionable shot.I would like to shake your hands for your integrity. When it comes to wounding any game animal, it is better to be safe than sorry. I know of a local "bowhunter" who shot at 3 walking deer under 20 yards in the last 3 years and hit them all in the butt. Recovered none!!
I had a dandy buck walk past my ground blind at 15 yards with his nose to the ground. I whistled to stop him. He didn't pause a second. I whistled again and he didn't even look up. By that time he was behind brush and out of sight. I have never regretted my decision for a moment.
Those of you who "just say no" are tops in my book!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 03:18:00 AM »
the answer is no- you shouldn't have shot; because you didn't shoot.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
5 things could happen, 4 of them are bad.
Tom

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
It's hunting! Now you know he is there It's time to hunt him!!!!!
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Lost Viking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
If it was a mistake, it didn't have a negative outcome...not like taking the shot when you shouldn't have.  Stew on it, but sleep well knowing, no harm, no foul.

Todd

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
You dun good!  :thumbsup:  And like you said the rut is in full swing, get back out there, maybe you'll see him again  :archer:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
If you had felt good about the shot I think you would have taken it at the time. Especially with your experience on moving game. You did the right thing by not forcing the issue.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
You did the right thing. To quote Reg Darling's current TBM article.....  

"I have taken some shots that I have regretted. But, I have never regretted passing on a shot".

I passed on an 8 pointer earlier this season. He came around a deadfall, and I figured the minute he does, I'll drop to one knee, draw and release. The buck immediately jumped at my motion, and I  immediately let my draw down at his jump, he only went 5 yards, had I remained at full draw for a couple more seconds I probably would have had him. He only went 5 yards... but then the stare down started. Oh, well.. I have no regrets, he lived to pass on his genes another day. And I was blessed by the experience.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Only you know if the shot was there or not.  I never know if ill shoot or not till the time comes.  Ive passed on deer standing 10yards away cause it did'nt feel right and ive shoot at running deer at 30yards cause i knew i could make it.  Shot a running deer this year at 25yards perfect shot, dead deer but it felt right.  I had another nice buck standing broad side at 15yards that didnt and passed.  I pratcice on moving targets, and from different possitions, but when hunting i cant say if i would shoot at this or that untill i have to make that shot on game then i know if its a good shot or a bad one and to take it or pass on it.  If it did'nt feel right at the time you prob did the right thing,  Now go back out and get him, good luck

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
I have passed on a lot more shots than I have taken on deer.    You did fine by me.     :thumbsup:  

I'd rather read this thread then a "I took a shot I normally wouldn't have and can't find the deer" thread.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©