3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Tips, ism's, advice 2008"  (Read 727 times)

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Tips, ism's, advice 2008"
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
I'm new to the sport but one thing I'm learning and nobody ever told me (bare in mind I hunt super thick places)is keep you eyes UP. It's easy to walk right past prime habitat and not realize it until you are standing in animal trails.

As you're sneaking and peeking keep your eyes up in the canopy. Look for important trees, oaks, persimmons, hickory, etc. Then look for the trails leading into them. If nothing else I look for the woods that aren't pines. Just better habitat. Also look for breaks in the canopy caused by small ponds, or ditches.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
I'll pass one on I came across this year, and am kinda proud of..
I hunt a creek, the banks are typically 30-60 feet pretty much straight up and down. If you set up in a tree in the bottom, you are at best eye level with a deer on the top. If you setup on top, you are another 15-20 feet off the bottom, where the deer like to travel all day. The solution is to hang a tree stand at ground level, on the down side, on a tree about 1/3 the way down the bank.. Basically is a ground stand, with a flat surface to stand on for the top and you are still 20' or so off the creek bottom floor. If you can tie that in with a bit of a dead fall in front of you and a good wind, it's a grand deer show, all day long.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
The other night I went out to my unheated indoor range with a hooded zip up sweat shirt on to fling a few.
Well that string on the hood about takes your head to the target with the arrow. [When it comes in contact with the string before release]. Keep it tucked in or wear something else.  Makes me want to check out my winter hunting gear to make sure it can't happen with the hooded camo coats I sometimes wear.
  :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:  
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
For life in general...

Dont sweat the small "stuff"

In the grand scheme of things,,,its ALL small "stuff"

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
When you go to take a pee and it's windy make sure you don't leave your bow down wind,    :smileystooges:   it's happened

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Always never pet a burning dog  .... if you happen to see one in the woods.    :biglaugh:
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
"Don't believe everything you think."
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline TimRadke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
The more someone's mouth is open, the more it's usually wrong.
Byron Ferguson Patriot
58# @ 28"

RER XR
49# @ 26"

>')///><            <-------[[[[

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
It's not the bow that made you miss; it's the jerk on the string!

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
When bareshafting don't forget to put a field point on the shaft.  It looks pretty cool when it is released but I wouldn't reccomend it.

I have 3 dogs that run out to my back yard range (also known as the garden area) every time I want to shoot.  

Before shooting I say, "All doggies must leave the range."  Believe it or not when I say that they trot out of the garden area and watch from a safer spot in the backyard.  I wonder if they know something that I don't know?  Maybe they saw the flight of the bareshaft arrow without a field tip in it.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
Opinions are like arm pits, everyone has a couple and they sometimes stink. Also if your going to deer hunt, you should hunt where there is some deer. I still haven't learned that. lol!!!   ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
Whenever you see one deer, stop and take a better look more than likely there are more right around
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline rod251

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Pick a spot, pick a spot, pick a spot. (maybe next time I'll remember those words)

When ground hunting, don't bring along a buddy who talks with his hands.  You will get busted.

Offline Langhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
At the end of a morning hunt, let your bow down from the treestand immediately before you climb down, not a moment sooner.  Likewise, on a evening hunt, the second you are secured in your stand, pull your bow up.  Have a hook or something that you can put your bow on to put it at reach while getting ready.  I would almost guarnatee that it will account for a possible kill over the years of use!  Dont get caught unarmed:)
Hunting the World....Southern Style! 2010 IBO HHW World Champion

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
In life: "Never miss the chance to tell someone you love, just how much you love them!"

In Bowhunting: When a 190" mule deer is walking right at you, have your bow up and ready to draw...don't wait for him to walk under your stand and into your perfect shooting lane...he may stop and for reasons known only to him, look right up at you...(yeah, it happened to me). Instead be ready to take the first good shot he gives ya!

Peter

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
I second hunt where the deer (or game animals of choice) live.  :knothead:  

Leave your knife, game cart, and flashlight at home... you always seem to connect when the necessities are not readily available, but would make the job at hand so much easier...

Forgetting things like the rope for my safety harness prevents me from hunting my favorite stands and find new ambush spots off of the trails the deer use during the day and helps me put a lil meat in the freezer...

Typically, I have lots of luck when I just take it as it goes... when I plan to hunt a hot area on Saturday a.m. I usually find I push my luck when things aren't all on my side...

The less I take into the woods, the better I seem todo! When I pack in a day pack full of stuff, I am fiddling around playing with junk I don't really need... If it isn't a bow, glove, or arrow, it needs to fit in my pocket- or I can leave it in the truck and go get it when I need it...

Always go for quick hunts when you have plans (like a dinner with friends...) and not much time! Flowers and apologies come easier and are more heart felt after driving home from the deer cooler...

And you single guys, don't even date a gal whose birthday falls any where near the rut of your favorite game animal... My wife's Birthday is in early November,(the time to be hunting here in GA) and I end up missing some real good deer hunting as earning kitchen passes takes up a lot of time and energy...   :bigsmyl:

Don't listen to me, Cuz only The Good Lord knows, how I survived this long with some of the stupid things I have done... But hey it sounded like a good Idea at the time...   :archer:
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
for those wanting to walk and stalk pay a lot of attention to your shoes! they are one of the most important factors to walking quietly!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. You can never unsay a cruel word.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
A cat does not feel comfortable on a moving motorcycle.  No matter how much duct tape you use.  :D

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
never assume your tow rope is still in your pack from last season.
Steve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©