3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Day, but %&^*@% Dogs! *happened again* UPDATE!**  (Read 243 times)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Good Day, but %&^*@% Dogs! *happened again* UPDATE!**
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
This afternoon was a little on the cold side here in SE Ohio but plenty of action in the woods today.
Jumped a deer right inside the woods as soon as I stepped inside. Got into my stand a little after 3pm. Squirrels running everywhere, had a sparrow hop up right next to me and check me out--i think it was kinda interested in my red/white/blue fletching    :)  .
About 3:30 a large doe snuck up on me from the left and was 20 yds before I noticed her. I've seen her before, same place, and her fawn was always close behind her. this time--no fawn. I watched and couldn't find her anywhere, so.....when the doe went behind a tree, I stood quickly and turned for a shot and......wow, there's the fawn---busted!    :help:    ( and my dog is STILL barking for almost an hour now)
Finally after almost an hour and a half, I can sit down and warm my hands back up. About dusk, the 2 does show back up about 50 yds away and walk down towards the vineyard. 5 min. later, here comes little buckaroo---headed in the same direction....can barely see him..but its him...again.
Time to go home...can't stand any more excitement for 1 day....kinda cold too!    :coffee:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Day, but %&^*@% Dogs! *happened again* UPDATE!**
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
I know dogs are part of the family but if my dog, no wait, I wouldn't own a dog that barked! My dog doesn't bark unless there's a coon around his kennel or a possum or a fox er yote. The neighbors have a dog just like the breed you have and although they are a fair distance away the dog is just plain annoying-can't even go out into my shop or outside period without the damn thing barking! I would hunt elsewhere or get a bark collar for when ur hunting that close.
All that said, sounds like you had a really good hunt- Love hunting from the ground! Good luck to you and thanks for sharing, now shut that dog up so you can make meat!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
My Parents own 50 acres, and I hunted there a few times. Only thing is the neighbor has around 20 dogs in a kennel, and all they do for the last couple of hours before dusk is bark and howl. Dad cannot figure why I don't like to Hunt there, and Hunt on my Aunt's land by myself.
He claims that the Deer are used to the dogs. He might be right, but it ruins a beautiful, quiet evening Hunt. Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Any dog barking while you hunt is bothersome, but a least a real dog - big - let out the noise that scared your deer. What is most annoying is the yap, yap, yap of some little bitty lap dog - like the dog that belongs to the people living next to my hunting property.  However, I have noticed that the deer do seem to know how far away a barking dog is and don't react much to one that is a long way off. Also, I have twice watched deer play with dogs that could not catch them.  A different neighbor has a fat old bull dog that chased a doe around my stand. He couln't run very far at a time, and it seemed that the deer was stopping and waiting for him to get closer before circling the woods again. At first I was extremely upset, but actually it was comical. The neighbor's younger dog is a totally different story.  The woods instantly go empty whenever he is around. I think the deer have the dogs and the people patterned very accurately in my area and read the threat level very effectively. Still, its better hunting when it does not involve doggie stories.
Sam

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Well , it happened again.  Last night went out and my dog was at it again. Her bark doesn't bother the deer at all, but ....it's so constant and annoying, that I can't hear sounds in the woods very well (I have "moderate" hearing loss).
I was trying to keep a good look-out but a NICE 8-10 pt. buck snuck up on me and I didn't see/hear him until he was about 20 yds. in front of me when he popped out of the brush and was headed right at me. I was able to stand up and mostly turn towards him as he angled to my left (I'm a lefty) and he stopped broadside 15 yds. away and caught me. Looked right at me. I didn't dare move---was hoping he'd look away for just a second, but he didn't and after what seemed like an eternity, he turned and walked out of there.
I think I need to move that stand now--that's 2 deer in 2 days that have busted me in it.
I went home that night and my dog was STILL barking --- until I got out of the truck--then she knew better. I told my wife  " you got a broom and a whole woods full of sticks. Don't let that dog bark like that again!"

I'll hopefully trya agin this weekend, from a new tree.

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
You might consider fitting your dog with one of those collars that will zap the spit out her when she barks.  That or tie her up on the other side of your deer woods and let her bark stuff towards you.

I used to hunt the property of a family from our church.  They have this stupid little Benji-looking thing that, once it heard me out there, not only wouldn't stop barking (waking the whole house) but tended to follow me around the woods.  I hated that little hair-bag but she taught me how to be quiet in the woods.  It's *way* easier to sneak up on deer than it is to try to sneak past that thing.

My cat is an insolent, lazy and useless thing but she's a hunter and would never spoil my game.

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
We have a little property in Appomattox, va. The funny thing is there are several hunting dog kennels surrounding the property, and the deer walk right past the caged dogs, and dont pay any attention to them. Now, every once in a while a dog will get out (lately, its been pretty frequent) and run the deer, and that is where my problem is.

Its funny what a deer can get used to!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Any dog running deer in these parts is fair game.
SSS shoot-shovel-shutup

Eric

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Yeah its that way here too if it doesnt have a collar generally its dead. I live in the country but somewhat close to a small town and there's a lot of critterpets roaming around, primarily cats.
I'd seriously consider a bark collar, I had one for a previous dog and it didnt "zap the spit " out of him. It actually had several settings that gradually increased the level of stimulation as the dogs barking persisted until the dog figured out hey if I don't bark I dont get "zapped". Sport Dog I think is the name of it, around 50 -70 bucks if I remember right.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
One thing I cannot handle is a barking dog.  I mean the one that barks incessantly for hours.. I have two dogs and have trained both not to bark. At least not for hours on end.  I always wonder how people whose dogs are barking never seem to hear em. It is cool that you can hunt so close to home. I'd be a lockin my dog up if he was a barker..
Damn Nice guy

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
I live in the burbs.  I have a neighbor who is so inconsiderate as to let his 2 dogs bark constantly anytime they are outside.  He won't do anything about them after repeated neighborly and not so neighborly (police) requests.  You got neighbors?  If so, please respect them enough to do something about your dog.  Thanks.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©