3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First trad outing - lessons learned and question  (Read 182 times)

Offline Johner

• Trad Bowhunter
First trad outing - lessons learned and question
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
I am a student in a Ministry training program at a university in Arkansas.  I don't get much free time but when one of the college aged guys (I am what they call a non-traditional student which I think is code for mid-life crisis) wanted to go out squirrel hunting I couldn't refuse.  It turned out that we had picked opening day for rifle season here so I loaned him my slug gun and I took my Widow out to the woods Saturday morning.  We were hunting public ground, about 15,000 acres that I had spent about 2 hours walking around this summer.  I had seen sign all over so I figured we couldn't really go wrong.  

We got there just before sunrise and walked in on a fire road about 200 yards and then up a ridge along a tree line about 60 yards and sat down along the tree line, the area had been logged a couple of years ago and there is a large field of young trees and briars.  We sat down about 10 minutes before sunrise and within 20 minutes started to here the rifles roar.  I figured that the deer would be on the move but my bow hand was getting so cold I had to take a minute to warm it up.  I stuck my hand in my jacket pocket and Murphy's Law took over.  I saw something move out to my left and sure enough a small buck walks about 20 yard in front of me, while my bow lays at my side.  

About 30 minutes later the sun peeks over the ridge in front of me.  With the sun in my eyes and not being able to see a lick I decide to get up and go to the other side of the area that had been logged and walk back through it to see if I could drive a deer my hunting partners way.  As I got up I felt something drop off of me.  I turn and look at the ground and my side-arm has fallen off my belt in its holster. This is a new gun and holster that my dad had given me a few weeks earlier as the land I hunt on has pigs, bears and meth heads to contend with.  It turns out that the clip that holds the holster to your belt essentially holds itself on the holster the same way and my backpack pushed on the handle of the gun as I stood and pushed the holster off the clip.

So in a matter of minutes I had lesson one, never set your bow down and lesson 2, get a real holster. I managed to make it through the very thick brush and briars but he didn't see anything come his way. I know they are in there somewhere though as they clearly bed down in there.  

We walked around for awhile and then drove to the other end of the WMA and took another walk.  While following an ATV trail we had a monster doe walk onto the trail and stop about 25 yds out.  As I am sure you can guess at this point I was dealing with the same gun issue, I was tired of the holster starting to slip and having to put it back in place and was actually trying to figure out a different way to carry the gun and I did not have my arrow nocked.  You are not allowed to take a doe with a modern gun so we had to watch her walk off.  When we got to where she came on the path we spooked up another, unsure of sex, in the very thick underbrush not more than 12-15 ft away but couldn't even see it just heard it and saw the brush move.

Lesson 3, never un-nock your arrow and a reminder of lesson 2.  

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can't wait to get back out Friday afternoon.  Before I do though I would like to get a bow quiver and would like your input.  All I have right now are hip quivers from my target shooting days and didn't even bother to try and take one along, probably the only good decision I made.  I don't have much to spend and just need to take a couple of arrows out with me.  What would you all recommend?

Sorry for the long story but I had to tell someone.    :)

Offline Mallardstacker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First trad outing - lessons learned and question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
Johner,

I lived in Searcy for a period of 4 yrs before moving out to the West Coast!  I take it from your post that you are attending Harding?

On your bowhunting thoughts:  some folks practice and are quite proficient in cold weather shooting with a gloved bow hand.  You might want to try that and see if it works for you.  If not, concentration and awareness are the saving grace... and sometimes "Murphy" just gets his way no matter what.  

On Keeping an arrow ready:  there are times that you should NOT keep an arrow on the string - like when you are moving up or down a steep hillside, slippery rocks, etc.  Sharp broadheads are a must in our sport, but you want them to end up in your quarry, not your quadricep!  For ideas about how to make inexpensive quivers, take a look at the "how to" section below for some good ideas.

I understand full well the "two-legged" predators you are worried about.  However, they don't normally come out (at least in the daylight) when gun season is in.... too many more people with loaded weapons!  

I should also say that if you are going to carry a sidearm for safety- please make sure it is secured in a good holster.  Go see a friend of mine at Ultimate Outdoors in Searcy by the name of John Key.  He is the owner and will hook you up.  Tell him "Gaines" sent you in.   He also used to carry a few stick bows for those of us that like real bows  ;)

Just some thoughts....Stacker

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First trad outing - lessons learned and question
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Johner

I live in Beebe if you would like to meet some time for hunting or arrow flinging.  I'll help any way I can.  

501 882 6794
Duane
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©