3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this strange?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
Is this strange?
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
My son has shared the outdoors with me since he could walk. While he was growing up I bowhunted only and when he was old enough naturally I bought him a bow. For years we have roamed the woods bows in hand.
Now he is grown with his own family and we aren't able to hunt together as much. He called a few days ago and said that he wanted us to go to his great uncle's farm week after next to deer hunt.

Here is my problem Kevin wants us to rifle hunt and I have no desire to kill a deer with a gun. I would never pass up an opportunity to hunt with Kevin so what I am going to do is let him hunt and I will help him get the deer out of the woods and processed.

I have no problem with guns in fact Kevin and I shoot quite a bit of trap together. I just prefer my bow. Is it strange not to care about what would almost certainly be a guaranteed kill?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this strange?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Not to me. I just can't get into shooting critters with a gun. Just yesterday, I went pheasant hunting with a friend; he carried a shotgun, I carried a selfbow. I figured my chances of getting a pheasant were about zero, but I just enjoy the bow so much that I figure 'what the heck'. I own numerous firearms, and have taken lots of game with them in the past, and have absolutely no problem with gun hunters; it just isn't what I like to do anymore.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
I will be hunting along side of my son in the buddy stand during rifle season. I will have my bow and he will have a rifle. I am hoping for a turkey to walk by, not legal with a gun, and he will be hoping for a big buck. I am sure we will have a good time. Why don't you just hunt with your bow?
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with carrying a bow on a gun hunt if it is legal.  I've done that a lot.  Have a real good friend that lets me hunt on his place and invites me when his family is going.  I've walked in many days bow in hand when he is carrying a rifle or shotgun.

Just enjoy the time with your son.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
Doh! Goldfinger that may be the solution.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Like Marvin said,I would just hunt with your bow.
I've done that during rifle seasons many times.
Either way I'm sure it will be a good time.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Benha:
... I just prefer my bow. Is it strange not to care about what would almost certainly be a guaranteed kill?
That right there is the reason I carry my bow more often then a gun these days.

If I can see it I can hit it with a gun.  Not the same with the bow and that difference makes it more fun for me.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
ABSOLUTLY!!! take your bow. at very least if thats not an option, take a video camera. either way you get to spend time with your son.
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
I don't think it's strange at all. I applaud you for hunting with your son regardless of the weapon he chooses. I just switched to traditional archery only this year while my father continues to hunt with a compound bow. It doesn't change a thing in terms of the experiences we share and the time we get to spend together in the woods. The experiences with our loved ones are the most important thing and I think it's wonderful you are willing to share in your son's experience regardless of the weapon. He will never forget the time and effort spent on your part.

Bob
Einstein: It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
Its about the HUNT not the KILL. Take a slingshot as far as I'm concerned, just enjoy the time with your son. Thats what it should be about.

So, to answer your question.....NO...its not strange.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Benha, don't miss out on this golden opportunity to hunt with your son.  My son followed me around all over the place growing up and loves to hunt with anything, but he does enjoy coming home Thanksgiving week for our rifle season.  I, like you, do not especially enjoy the gun season period, but I will happily go with him and may carry my bow or muzzle loader or even my rifle, don't know right now.  But I will in no way give him the impression that I really don't want to do it.  These are precious days that we can     have with our boys.  Mine is now 37 and I'm 65--don't know how many years we'll have left to do this stuff together but one thing I can say just from my perspective, when we are together it's not about the way I like it--it's about the unforgettable memories we're making that he will carry in his heart after I'm gone!  Some things are way way more important than the hunting or the method of doing it.  Besides, I do like having meat in the freezer!  Whatever you decide, spend time with your son and cherish every minute of it......Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
I just helped someone hang two deer in his garage he shot them both with gun, on private land, in the process while they were hunting 22 deer walk by the tree stand they're using, both of the deer were gut shot, one deer had a gaping hole in its side (not where they cut it to clean it) but alongside behind its rib cage, was about 15 inches long, almost from the hip to the first back rib, guts were hanging out of it, it was enough to cure me from ever hunting deer with a gun again.

He gave me the excuse the deer spun around on him.  I think the problem was shot were 100 -150 yards.

They call it hunting !

I think your idea of helping him get his deer out of the woods and process it, show him that you still joy hunting, and by the way, in our state I can take a deer with a bow in rifle season, so take your bow along, who know, you may get one, and he may not, may start him thinking.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Life is short.  Spend the time with your son.  You can still bowhunt on your own.  Your urge to hunt only with your bow is admirable.  I have to admit that all of my time in the woods with my bow has given me a little distaste for my shotgun. However, realize that there are a bunch of guys reading this that would love to have the opportunity to spend some quality time with their boy in the woods.  But for one reason or another that won't happen. You must have been a good daddy for your son to want to spend time hunting with you.  Congratulations and enjoy the time with your son!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
Benha,

I feel pretty much the same way you do but I'm actually on the otherside of the fense. My dad rather hunt elk with a gun than with a bow. He initially hunted elk with a gun some 30yrs. ago and when I moved to Colorado I talked him into bowhunting...but when he realized he could hunt with a muzzleloader during part of the bow season...he jumped all over it.

As fate would have it...we were invited to hunt 1st. rifle season this year as an option and so we took the offer and now he's hooked on rifle hunting again.

I chose not to hunt...but instead call for them, video tape and pack out the elk if they got one. It's definitely not how I like to hunt...but to see the look on my dad's face while he's drawing his gun up to shoot an elk is priceless. His eyes get so huge...LOL.

For me it's worth it....whether I'm carring a bow, gun or a video camera. As long as I get to spend that time with him...I'm greatful  ;)

Like I'm sure you agree...Life is too short and too precious to not spend it with friends and family.

Ray  ;)

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Yeah Kevin is my buddy. I would never give him the impression that I don't want to be there because I do. Besides it's his turn to buy breakfast if I remember correctly.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
My son is a 40 year old successful computer geek. We hunted together when he was 13 or 14, then there was the divorce.

If he wanted to carry a bazooka and hunt with me I would be thrilled. Unfortunately he is a save the whales, green minded guy now.

He never turns down a deer steak or any other wild game I have cooked, this is a plus.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Take your bow and tell him he gets the first shot, but you will back him up if he misses.  Just keep it light hearted and enjoy the time together.  On the walk out, let him do some stump shooting with your bow.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
Same here I would hunt with a bow and let him have the ong shots.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
no not at all. If I gun hunted I'd have gotten every thing I saw this year. eight pigs and a deer.

I haven't got anything yet and thats why we bowhunt.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
I'd go with him, probably with my bow. If that wasn't legal, I'd take a gun if it meant hunting with my son or not. I nearly lost my son-in-law to an agricultural equipment accident this week. It sure changes your perspective. I will never again pass an opportunity to do something with one of my children or grandchildren.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©