3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Martin Hunter Question  (Read 660 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Hunter Question
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
My friend Donnie came over today with his new Martin Hunter. He was concerned about where he had to set things to get good arrow flight. His nock point was about 3/4" above square and brace height was 7 3/4". I checked the tiller on his bow and found the top limb to be 1/2" positive. Not being up on my recurve bows I didn't know if his set up was normal or not.

He was shooting 50# at his draw length of 29". The arrows were 31" 2117s with a 150 gr head. They flew like darts with the extra high nocking point but clanked and kicked badly at any other setting.

Does this sound normal for Martin Hunters? I have owned three in the past but that has been about 20 years ago and they have changed a good bit since.

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Hunter Question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
Eric, I think it's normal for the Hunter. I had a 45# @ 28" late model Hunter that did exactly the same thing with GT 33/55's. Got a nice "clack" everytime I shot it until the nock point got to about 3/4". Brace height at 7 3/4.  That's when everything came together and the bow was quiet and the arrows flew great. I don't know about the tiller issue.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
I've got him beat......so to speak. I have a 50# late model('03 I think) Hunter that measures 9/16 positive. I've wondered about the odd tiller, but the bow draws evenly and doesn't try to kick up or down at release, so I didn't worry about it. Mine has a weatherest on it, so I can't really offer much on the nock issue.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
I own and have hunted with the Damon Howatt and Martin Hunters for 20+ yrs.  Yes, what you're describing is right on the money.  I've settled in to 7 1/2" brace heights on all of mine but 7 3/4" doesn't sound out of whack at all.  The high nocking point is a must, however, if you shoot 3 under all of my Hunters seem like they were built for it due to this high nock point factor.  With 3 under and a 5/8" nocking point on my 76# Hunter I can shoot from 2215's to 2219's with nearly identical flight and I shoot cedars to 825 gr. laminated birch with perfect flight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©