3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fred bear style hat  (Read 2302 times)

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
fred bear style hat
« on: November 11, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
I was thinking about getting one of these for hunting because I hate to have to turn around my ball cap because most of my prime spots are located on hill sides where the sun gets you in the eyes. Also I love to sneak hunt in the rain and this style hat seems it would do a good job at keeping the rain off your neck. Basically im lookin for a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes the rain off my neck and can shoot my bow with out worrying about how my hat will effect my shot. So what are the pro and cons to this style hat?
   the hat
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fred bear style hat
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
I've always used a similar hat, as is shown in my picture, because I don't like sunburned ears.

You might have to put a snap on the brim to pin it up when you shoot, like Aussie style but a little further around toward the front, if you find that the brim interferes with your draw.

A baseball cap is adjustable.  A brim hat is not.  My head is about at the limit of "extra large" so some extra large hats fit me, and some are too small.  Same thing with number sizes.  Sometimes it's 7 1/2, sometimes 7 5/8.  It sure would be helpful to be able to try it on before you buy it, although I'm sure 3 Rivers would take it back if it didn't fit.

I wouldn't wear any other kind of hat, but I would imagine there are 20 guys who wear baseball caps for every guy who wears a brim hat.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
I have wore one for about 25 years and wont leave home for a hunt without it. Keeps my balding head warm and dry...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
check out  www.noggintops.com  they have all kinds of borselinos, stetsons etc. but They are not as cheap as 3 rivers

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Check out the Cabelas Gun Club hat from Stetson. Real Nice cover and as far as the brim goes just steam to shape desired with the tea kettle. Jason

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
3Rivers has the Hat & Young's style of hat plus many more

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
http://www.firststreetleather.com/store/hats_hats_borsalino_italian_hats_borsalino_39-62_smaller_trvlr_w_ribbon_tawny_bor390062-1.html

The same Italian thin band Borsalino hat worn by Fred is still made and available for purchase. This one is Tawny, but you can get the same color as Fred's.

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Daddy Bear:
 http://www.firststreetleather.com/store/hats_hats_borsalino_italian_hats_borsalino_39-62_smaller_trvlr_w_ribbon_tawny_bor390062-1.html  

The same Italian thin band Borsalino hat worn by Fred is still made and available for purchase. This one is Tawny, but you can get the same color as Fred's.
now I would love to afford that but im in college and $200 may as well be a thousand. I cant even remember the last time ive spent over 60 bucks on myself haha
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I bought a very nice one on a trip out west in Jackson, WY.  It is 8X beaver, brown fedora, 2 1/2" brim and cost around $112.  I have to tilt it back some to shoot but I love this hat more than any I've ever owned.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
I bought a Woolrich Fedora and love it. Best hat for hunting I have even had.
TGMM

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
I still haven't figured out how you folks wear a brimmed hat like that without the bowstring hitting the brim.   :(
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
That one in my photo up top is a Stetson picked up on sale at a TJMax. Its a very comfortable style hat and does keep the sun and rain off. The soft brim just bends when the string comes back, does not affect the shot.

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
curtis i bought a felt hat from bass pro for 35$ you can see it in the pic on maryland whitetail with the 4 pointer i killed on saturday.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
I got this one last year, and it has become my all time favorite for warm weather hunting;
  http://www.villagehatshop.com/cotton_safari_leather-band.html
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Uh-oh. Read the advertising copy carefully:

Borsalino 39-62 smaller trvlr w/ribbon by Borsalino Italian Hats, Hats, hats in tawny - The small traveler with a thin ribbon trim - a great hat for the discerning gentleman or sassy lady.

I may be discerning, but sassy? Yikes!

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Check out Day One Camoflauge...the crusher hat is awesome.  I just ordered their fleece parka and crusher hat 2 weeks ago, early X-mas present to myself and a little extra student loan money helped...I know the important stuff right...lol.  The hat brim does not get in the way of the bowstring like all Fedoras have for me.  I too am a college student and feel the money pain, at $35 the Day One Crusher is very hard to beat in my opinion.
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
My wife is going to get me this Robin Hood hat for Christmas and I'm going to wear it while bowhunting. The link is below. Once on the page, just click on any of the hats to enlarge them for a more detailed photo. No snickering from the "Peanut Gallery".    ;)    :D

http://www.talltoad.net/robin.html
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
It's a nice looking hat, but I've had to quit wearing a full brimmed hat for hunting.  I hunt from trees a lot and wear a full harness.  The back side brim rubs on the harness strap and really bugs me.  I don't know if the deer would hear it, but I sure do.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Matt Stuckey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
I had the same type of problem.  Picked one of these style hats up this year and nearly lost it out of the stand twice the first day out.  I would lean back against the tree and the brim would cause the hat to flip up.  Guess the one I have has to rigid of a brim.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
I wear a fedora I got from noggintops a few years ago.  The string does hit the brim when I'm shooting, but the brim just folds out of the way.  It's turned out to be a secondary draw check for me - I know when I'm at full draw and when everything islined up properly.  I don't hunt from trees much, but don't recall having any problems when I did (aside from constantly falling asleep in the stand).
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©