3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grizzly tanto tip sharpening-help  (Read 310 times)

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
grizzly tanto tip sharpening-help
« on: November 11, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
Ok,
I am working on some grizzly broadheads and have made a jig to sharpen to exactly 25 degrees on a set of diamond sharpening plates. Fine.working out perfect without any rounding at all.
 Now, i need a close up picture of a properly, Dr Ed Ashbey, sharpened tanto tip. I have read the sharpening instructions on here but am confused how exactly the tip is sharpened. The stock tip is a straight line perpendicular to the blades and not sharp.
Please help

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grizzly tanto tip sharpening-help
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
http://***********.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=179670&category=88#2249456

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
There will be a Tanto article by Doc A. in the next TBM, I think. Compared to sharpening the heads/blade edges, doing the tip takes just seconds once you get the picture. Nor do the bennies reap only to, say Grizzly single-bevels: Any needle-point head will be strengthened by this simple op.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
Robert,

You'll also notice that the tip section is thicker than the rest of the broadhead. That's because excess braze has bled out and deposited on both sides of the tip during the lamination process. You'll need to remove the excess braze before sharpening the tip. You can do this with a file.

As soon as you get through the paint, you'll see that the metal beneath it is brass, not steel. File the tip flat until you remove all the brass and can see clean steel.

Next you can sharpen the tanto by either double beveling the tip's cutting edges or single beveling them. If you single bevel the tanto be sure to file from the unbeveled side of each blade. I know this can be confusing when written out instead of seeing it but I'll try...

Grizzlies are right hand beveled. That means when you lay the broadhead on a table with the tip pointed away from you the visible bevel is on the right hand blade.

Now when the tanto tip is sharpened with a single bevel style, the tip's bevel should be visible on the left hand side.

In other words, the main blade is beveled from the top down but, the tanto tip is beveled from the bottom up.

I asked Ed about this about a month ago and he had concluded that there did not appear to be a significant performance advantage to either of the above tanto sharpening methods.

There is a third (less desirable) way to sharpen the tanto: That is to single bevel the tanto from the same side as the main blade bevel. Ed said that this configuration was much more likely to skip off of bone on angular shots than either of the first two methods.

Hope that didn't add to the confusion.   :confused:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
Daddy Bear, Its hard to tell from your photos on that link but it appears you are ADDING a small angle to the flat side of the grizzly when you remove the burr.

Are you in fact doing that, or are you removing the burr by filing it flat on the file?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
I file the the tip section like Sharpster describes above and then I file the backside flat and even before changing the bevel. After I set the bevel so it intersects the back side along the edge, I then remove the burr. I do believe I'm doing the exact same thing as Ron, but I use hand files whereas he uses expensive power equipment. Mine are probably closer to a Hill or Bear style micro rough edge, whereas his has more of a micro smooth edge (for lack of better words). I do think I strop mine about the same as Ron.

Here is a pic of one of the modified big Grizzly heads I shot through a deer:

http://***********.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=181053&category=88#2280614

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©