3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gloves while hunting - What do you use?  (Read 336 times)

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gloves while hunting - What do you use?
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
So we have the hat, and other clothing threads about what to wear to stay warm, not add bulk, etc...  

How bout gloves, what do you guys use to keep your fingers warm, and avoid bulk, and still be able to shoot?  

I use a tab, so any suggestions would be helpful there too.

Thanks guys
Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gloves while hunting - What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
i use the glove/mits(open finger with the fold back mitten part).....with my duraglove underneath

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
i use a hand muff...no need for gloves really but when i dont feel like bringing it i wear one normal full length glove and on my shooting hand i have one with the finger tips cut off...i put my shooting glove on then the regular glove right over it and it works perfect.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
I'm like trapper Dave.  The mittens that have the fold back finger tips, which leave your fingers exposed for shooting.  They keep your warm and still easy to shoot with.  I found them at Cabela's in the late 1990's.  I bought several pair and took extras to Canada ( BC) and gave them to the guides.  They really liked them, as they had to pay around $20.00 + for them.  I was getting them for about $8.00 at the time.

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
I use a shooting glove under a green wool Army glove with the first 3 fingers cut off.  Keep my hands in my pockets a lot.

In December, I might go to the mits or use a hand warmer muff thing.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
thin glove on my bow hand, fingerless ragg-wool glove over my shooting glove, and a hand-muff (add warmer packs when it gets cold).  No pockets on my outer layer.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I picked up the Arctic Shield system gloves (inner and outer gloves) at Bass Pro for under $20 and I really like the outer fold-back glove. It stays back with a small magnet rather than noisy velcro.
Very warm too.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I usually doesn't get real cold here and I wear a mesh glove on my right hand with my Damascus glove over it.  That combo is thin enough that it doesn't affect my shooting.  On my bow had I wear a fleece glove.  If my hands do get a little cold I will put them in my pocket for a short period.

Dennis

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
I buy the army surplus wool gloves for $3.20 per pair.  Buy 5-6 pairs in October and good to go all season.  Stuff my hands in a handwarmer when things really get cold.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
Hand muff around my waist like Deadbolt. I wear a thin glove on my bow hand but shooting glove only on my right hand. Stick a hand warmer inside the muff for toasty hands.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Thanks fellas, sometimes the wool gloves on the bow hand seem to slide on the grip a little unless you have a leather or sure grip.  I like the army surplus idea, and would probably have to sew any cut fingers so they do not unravel.  

Up for more ideas>

Thanks
Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
I use either the wool glove liners you can purchase at most Army/Navy stores or I use a pair of winter golf gloves I purchased at a discount golf shop. I also shoot a tab. Both of the above allow the tab to slip over the finger and give me a good grip on the bow. If I had to select one I would opt for the winter golf gloves. I would however recommend that you do some shooting with the gloves on just as your should shoot with your other hunting clothes on to avoid any surprizes.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
take a hot glue gun and run a bead or two of glue down the glove to increase your ability to hold it tight.  Learned that in the Marines.

Wally sells some think white all purpose gloces that work well and give you some tactile ability.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Wally owrld sells the gloves in camo that have the rubber beads on them for grip. BUT I hate gloves to bowhunt in, I use the hand muff with warmers in them. Yesterday I had a doe feeding around me at 7:30 and it was 26 degrees. MY hands got cold, But when a buck charged her out of nowwhere I shot him in the go fetcher  :)  Anyhow the muffs work great, I bought another at a yard sell and gave to a hunting buddy this summer.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Buy 'ya a pair of brown jersey gloves and cut the 3 fingers out for your glove. Perfect and cheap.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
FWIW...I use vet wrap on the handle.  Gloves won't slip on that surface.

I too favor the army surplus wool liners.
Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
I take some fingerless wool gloves (with flip-down mitten things) just in case, but mostly, I keep my hands in a muff.  Seems to work well so far.

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by pseman:
Hand muff around my waist like Deadbolt. I wear a thin glove on my bow hand but shooting glove only on my right hand. Stick a hand warmer inside the muff for toasty hands.
Yep what pseman said
no glove for mee hand muff and hand warmers, gloves just never felt right to me when shooting a bow.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
I have been using the fingerless wool mittens with the fold back for rabbit hunting this winter and they have worked good. Put the tab on then fold the finger part back over it when you are ready to shoot just fold the finger part back.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
I picked up a pair that are lightly insulated. They are all black and made by Columbia.  Shot in them this afternoon and were perfect.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©