3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who Hunts with a Back Quiver?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
Who Hunts with a Back Quiver?
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
I have never used mine to hunt with but haver been thinking about it. What do you like about hunting with yours?
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline DylanK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who Hunts with a Back Quiver?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
I havn't but I always thought that the shafts tipped with bradheads would cut into the shafts when pulling the arrows out.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
I carry a bow square, My Hunting License & a extra shooting tab.

I like mine for the room. The only thing I don't like about it is, I get arrows hitting branches when I have to walk/trail deer thru the brush & if I have to bend over the arrows fall out. Other then that I love it.

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
I like a back quiver.  I really don't like bow quivers even though I've hunted with them.  I prefer back quivers especially for that second arrow!  :thumbsup:

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
Hunt with a back quiver, a mini-cat quiver and a GFA style quiver.  Can't stand a bow quiver under any circumstance!  I would rather tote arrows in my teeth!  I like to use the back quiver when hunting from a stand or blind, not still hunting.  I also prefer it when I'm just out having a good time and not real serious about "hunting".  They have a useful role.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
I like them skwerl hunting.  Not so much deer hunting, at least where I currently hunt.  Too thick and tangley.  You get real used to walking with them, even thru the thick stuff ( place bow hand on bottom, pull forward under arm, and guide it thru.   Mine makes a bit too much noise, but then, I had been using big fletch.  Gotta try it with smaller fout fletch now.
ChuckC

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
I made one that looks nice but it's the noisiest most impractical item I own. The arrow nocks snag on brush, the quiver dulls broadheads, and I end up dancing this crazy jig like a dog chasing his tail, tryin' to get an arrow out fast.

Now I just use it to hold up the wall.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
I've only hunted high-desert w/sage brush chasing Bugs Bunny with mine.  I use alum arras and they clank like mad, "dog chasing his tail" effect is true and bothersome.  I made little sheaths for my broadheads so that's not a problem.  Can't imagine chasing a deer with all that noise and arms a-waving reaching for arras- I make enough noise with each step- no need for the additional HUNTER ALERT broadcast.  I like my plains quiver chasing stealthier game.
Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
I do, sometimes. Each quiver has advantages and disadvantages, and in some situations one is better than others. Sometimes I fancy that I am slightly more similar to my ancestors when I carry my arrows in some leather on my back. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a back quiver, while other times the decision is a more practical one. TradGanger Mike G. made mine, and I like it alot. Here're a few photos of it in action:

:thumbsup:      :campfire:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:10:00 AM »
Is that billy pregnant??  :)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »
49 degrees Celcius, so he'd already tanked-up before I got him.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline gundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 04:44:00 AM »
I have just constructed a back quiver and am finishing off my arrows as I type this!

Practical or not, there just seems to be some magic involved with a Stik in hand and leather on yer back.

Im off hunting this weekend to try her out....

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:59:00 AM »
I love my back quiver, for small game, and of course shooting 3-d.  I use a bowquiver when hunting whitetails out of a stand, just makes it easier to get everything in, once in stand, it comes off and hangs on the tree.  This said, one of the best tools for ground hunting and/or stalking whitetail deer is a backquiver.  I find that as stated above,it slows me down more, forces me to think of moving through brush (of course a good back quiver can slide).  The feather rustling tell's me I am moving to fast.  I only carry 4 broadheads and 4 small game points.  Makes a big differance stalking.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »
Been using an Arrowmaster Quiver this year. I really like it so far.

"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
I ended up with this. Pretty versatile I think.
(not me in the pics)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
I really like back quivers and have found that you have to use one a while to get the feel of them in hunting situations.  You can't give up the first two or three times you use one.  There is a method for back quiver use that becomes second nature--like sliding around under your arm while going through brush or low hanging stuff.

That being said, you also have to have the right kind of back quiver and to tell you the truth a good functional back quiver is getting hard to find.  There is so much emphasis on good looks by some makers that function is often ignored.  I have spent a lot of money on back quivers that just didn't work well.  It needs to be the proper depth for the shooter to comfortably reach the arrows, the leather needs to be pliable enough to gently conform to your back in the middle and remain open at the top and bottom for easy removal and return of arrows, and yet have enough stiffness to retain some shape.  The quiver should stay in place while being worn so you don't have to constantly tug on the strap.  And I like for the strap to be turned so the slick side is against me for ease of sliding in the above mentioned situation (but people will tell you your strap is inside out who don't know better).

When the quiver is properly made and broken in and used right they are very functional.  And no, I don't have trouble with heads cutting the shafts or dulling in the quiver. I only use a piece of carpet in the bottom--no oats or such. If the quiver tilts at the correct angle the arrows won't rattle.  BUT aluminum will still make noise as you extract an arrow as it slides past the other arrows--woods or carbons do work better in that respect. And three blade heads don't work well in a quiver that meets the above criteria.  That is my evaluation after years of messing with and enjoying them......Dave  :)    :)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Some of you have really deflated my balloon.   :confused:   I've been seriously thinking of getting a nice back quiver. Now, I'm not so sure. I shoot a 32" aluminum arrow, fletched with three 5" feathers and the business end of the arrow is tipped with a 3 blade Wensel Woodsman broadhead. I like to stalk javelina on foot. I prefer a ground blind for whitetail deer. Should I still get a back quiver or go back to a bow quiver?
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline seabound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
I've tried two different types of back quivers and they are not practical for hunting. I also have long arrows, ~31.5", and they always stick too far out the top of the quiver. Back quivers are just too cumbersome when trying to stalk through any kind of brush.

I had a custom tube style quiver made for me and my search for the perfect quiver is finally over. It's a map tube ~34" long, ~4" in diameter, cut just like the commercial offerings with camo fabric glued on. It wears just like a back quiver, but there are no fletchings sticking out the top and you dispense arrows from the bottom. It also has a removable cap for maximum water protection.

Seriously consider getting one or making one, you'll never go back...
The only physical manifestation of Zen is archery

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
Night Wing--you might look at the Jack Bowers quivers.  Several dealers carry them.  I got mine from Larry at Lost Nation--the Chief model.  It should work well for you and is quite versatile in the place of a back quiver.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
I have tried a lot and liked only the catquiver. Even that is not perfect though; I always worry about turning around and seeing a trail of arrows behind me into the sunset.

I find back quivers are noisy; and catch on brush when your stalking; and its hard to pull an arrow out: un-noticed.

When you start a crawl with one on a nice critter; and all the arrows in the quiver fall out over your shoulder; you start thinking bow quivers.

They are nice looking; and the catquiver can carry emergency stuff; but I like to see my arrows are there; and be able to slip under fences and branches and stuff without getting hung up..
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©