3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wool best for the $$$  (Read 1629 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wool best for the $$$
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
I can't really call it Hattrick. I love them both. KOM has the no shrink guarantee and my partner washes his all the time. I wash my SI only about 3 times a year because IT WILL SHRINK. So with that in mind I will give KOM a slight nod. SI is slightly cheaper in price though. I know, I'm no help. But they are both great products. If going for the lightweight shirts, my SI pullover has pockets, my KOM does not. I like to put my hands in my pockets when sitting on stand. I'm sure KOM would put pockets on the side if I wanted. I hope I'm not confusing you anymore but it's just too hard to decide   :banghead:  Ok, I'll make a call, if the slight cost difference is not a problem, then go with KOM. If so then go with SI. There, I did it.

Contact Whip on the Grey Wolf for I know nothing about them. Hope this helps.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
I'm working with Jeff to bring some of his clothes to the Kalamazoo expo in January and will have them in a booth there.  Since they are custom made to your order you can get pockets where you need them.
The wool is very tight weave and high quality. I even wear it in light rain and it doesn't get soaked.  
I sure can't say anything negative about the others - they are good products too.  All I would say is that when spending that amount of $$ on hunting clothes look at all the options.  They are all good quality stuff!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Ron LaClair has a nice "longhunter" wool shirt & hood I bought a few years ago. Great hunting set-up.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
I have day one and gray wolf. Both are excellent, but as far as value goes, you cannot beat the day one-loaded with options, excellent quality and even better prices.
BD

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
I'll second DAY ONE excellent product at working man's prices!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Hattrick, as far as not being able to try them on, the last time I was at the big sports show in Harrisburg, PA in Febuary, either SI or KOM was there with some stuff. Depending on how far a drive it is for you, it may be worth the trip just for that reason.

As far as bulking up, I picked up a GW vest this fall and fell in love with it. For most of our season I was wearing just the vest with a heave wool shirt over longjohns and was plenty warm. I used to hunt Maryland even into January and I suspect a full wool outfit may be too much for that climate. It would have been for me.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
Check the bargain barn on cabelas site. I picked up a set of wool dry plus bibs for $79. You can find Filson on sale there too.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
A lot of really good company's mentioned here.  I got a set from the classified here from a company called Beagle Woolens out of Vermont.  I can honestly say that once it gets cold enough to wear them, I won't wear anything else.

If it gets cold passed what I'm comfortable to in my Beagle suit, I'm looking at a Heater Bodysuit.
Support the sport!

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
bbassi do you recall the guy that was selling SI at Harrisburg i herd he was out of Hanover Pa which is close by, I`VE tried to locate him but had no luck
Bull

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
I have had great luck with Johnsons wool stuff for years. Any wool is good as long as it is a quality product. I can't remember the name but a company in NewZeland made some real nice stuff, maybe if you google you can find them.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Kom is hard to beat if you can afford it. I like my Pendleton wool shirts for layering with a  vest. They can be found on that auction site we often hear about or the Cabela's catalog. Johnson Woolens makes good pants that will fit a big guy like me at a reasonable price. Whatever you buy, look for something that is tightly woven in outterwear for greater durability and warmth. Don't forget to refer to the classified section of this site. I've seen some good buys in clothing.  :thumbsup:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Ron, that would be Swanni Wool. I had a coat for 10 years from them and it was awesome. They still make them but not in camo anymore. Not as thick as SI, KOM, or Grey.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline riot1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
I second Filson.  They are expensive, but no where near the price of KOM or Sleeping Indian.

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Don't forget Day One.  I have SI and Day One.  Day One offers a nice lining too, insulated and wind stopper.  They also offer wool in ASAT.  I have used SI for years, but I really like the Day One.

Dave

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Sleeping Indian, king of the Mountain, and Filson are all in my closet.I try to buy one piece a year so it does'nt hurt so bad. Started with the SI archers pullover and worked my way down and then back up from there. JUST GOT TO LOVE THE HASTLE FREE QUALITIES OF WOOL... IMO Jason

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
remember that what goes under your jacket and pants need not be camo... so finding any wool shirts and jackets that are inexpensive will work for layering; and you can buy four for the price of one high brand type... which means when you soak one with sweat; you can have another to wear.

I really like wool; and as a note- if its really cold and your wool does get sweaty - take it off and hang it from a branch or even lay it on the snow. Before you freeze- the moisture on the wool will; and you can shake it out of the wool; put it back on and keep warmer.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
up until this year I'd always worn swedish wool surplus pants....

I bought some columbia off an auc-tion site and so far I like it.   in this pic I can't believe how much the wool absorbs light compared to the amount reflected in the cotton predator shirt.

this pic was from this past tuesday and it was in the high 20's with 5-10 mph winds.  I was wearing a light pair of hitech longjons, old ripped levis and the wool bibs.  I was toasty warm everywhere there was wool.  arms and chest got a bit chilly but I didn't wanna bother putting the coat on...
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by myshootinstinks:
Ron LaClair has a nice "longhunter" wool shirt & hood I bought a few years ago. Great hunting set-up.
I second the longhunter shirt.  You'll want layers and so forth but the price is right and I really like mine.

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
Swanndri

I love my Swanni's!
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
Many of the top choices have been mentioned already.  I'll throw another New Zealand company in the mix - Icebreakers.  It's a great product!  I mentioned Swanndri to a couple guys in NZ and both said to check out Icebreakers.  Swanndri is great quality as well but they seemed to speak highly of the Icebreakers as well.

I was given a mid-weight shirt and some socks as a gift and I love it!!

Good luck...it will be hard to go wrong with many of the top quality companies that have been listed.  I'm definitely going to give Ron's shirt a try soon.  Looks great!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©