3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wool best for the $$$  (Read 1628 times)

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wool best for the $$$
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
gray wolf makes a great product, don't have the wool, jsut the wolfskin but works great. coat with double insulation and built in armguard. keeping me warm in the manitoba hunting season. would love to try wool some time to compare.

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2008, 02:39:00 AM »
hattrick the guy that sells the sleeping indian is here in hanover that sets up at the sportsman show in harrisburg

but im very paticular about having the best and when i can afford the grey wolf woolen wool clothes i will have them

i tried the kom, si,and they r good but not as good as the grey wolf woolens.the grey wolf woolens are made by bowhunters who understand how bowhunting clothes need to be and they also shot many many pope and young class animals.these people know how to make warm functional clothing that maintain maximum upper body dexterity.it was absolutely amazing these clothes when jeff the owner showed me at the harriburg pa show,i was absolutely impressed and that is an understatement.i own a raven wear outfit out of canada and wish i woulda known about these people before i invested that 700-800 bucks

i have never tried day one but i cant hardly believe they r better than grey wolf

i hope to purchase some grey wolf for 2009

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Grey Wolf, same price as KOM but they are truely custom just for you with many options. Jeff will add what ever your looking for also bigger pockets-smaller, binos, calls what ever. When it gets bitter cold that's my go to, and I own KOM also.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
I hunted Montana mt. lion on -30° all day long with my 6 year old KOM and I never was cold,both climbing up hill in the canyon skinning the cat in the bottom. I took thunder storms, driving rain snow storms in the Rockies always feeling confortable. A plus are the pant you can sit inthe wet snow or kneeling in the mud and still be dry because the multi layer. I love them. Very good concealing pattern too
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
IMO you can not beat Grey Wolf...truly custom clothing that is excellent quality and will last many years if taken care of. If there is something you would like added that is not listed on the website just let Jeff know and he will take care of you.

KOM and SI are also great products but for my money nothing beats Grey Wolf.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
I use King of the Mountain and Autumnwood wool.  Very good camo patterns and sized right.  Gray Wolf, which I think used to be Sleeping Indian, is in the same category.  Filson is just as good, but their jacket is a bit bulky for my liking, and the camo pattern doesn't have as much contrast as I like.  If you can find it, Weatherby wool is a real sleeper.  Excellent camo pattern.  Somewhat lighter weight wool, but a good absolutely quiet wind blocking lining, which makes it just as warm and at about half the price of the wools I mention.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Jerry, Sleeping Indian is a different company, and is still around.  Gray Wolf used to be owned by a different guy, and Jeff Aulik bought him out a few (5?) years ago.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
I saw a sleeping Indian once, but I didn't want to wake him.   I'm with woodchucker....Goodwill Industries.  But then I don't care what it says on the label 8^).

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Filson amazing stuff
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
2 yeasr ago I bought a gray wolf wool pullover and a second hand KOM bibs. bib's are really nice but the pullover is made for bow hunters the way they fit. Both are excelent product's

doug77

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
that is very important the clothing is made by bowhunters!!!

grey wolf woolen ROCKS!!!!

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Boys, just scored today from Goodwill, a 100% wool "pea" type coat, charcoal color with plaid wool lining. Ought to make a good hunting coat--4bucks.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Wool is definately worth it. Buy it once and have it for life. The synthetic stuff doesn't last. If you do get a rip in wool, just sew it up. No big deal. I haven't gotten a rip in any of mine, but it's nice to know.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
Flint   awesome find.   I got a Filson vest for Xmas.  I am totally impressed with the quality and the fabric.  My wife (who sews) is also impressed with the quality.  

I do not like bulked up arms.  I don't fit well into clothing and if I layer up too much my arms get too unwieldy.  Vests are an answer for me.  A long john top, light wool shirt and one more layer and I can stand really cold temps on my arms.   I can bulk up on my torso easily enough.
Chuckc

Offline FOXXNTROUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Woolrich has good stuff. Good work clothes as well and the sales are really good when they have them. I have three pair of nice trousers for work and they have lasted three years with little wear. Woolrich has a Camwoolflage line that wears well. I have a camwoolflage pullover from a few years back (four I think) and it wears well.

http://www.woolrich.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L10817C3494C70400C81200G+PRD+ENG

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Living and hunting in Michigan, I wear a piece of wool just about everyday from October first through April/May. Over the years I have accumulated a pretty good "collection" of wool from all the brand names, and some no-names.

While I LOVE Filson products, I have to be honest and say that all wool is good wool.Even the stuff that is not 100% wool is pretty darned funcional.

Buy what fits your budget and what you intend to use it for. Sitting out behind the house for 2 hours doesn't require a $600 wool outfit. It's awesome if you can afford it, but don't sweat it if you can't.

There are some tremendous opportunities in Army surplus wool. One of the most funtional "outfits" I have is an old wool military type sweater, with a Woolrich shirt over top.

I have a pair of Columbia wool pants that I can't seem to wear out.

My KOM stuff is solid, warm, durable gear. Could I have bought cheaper, just as funcional stuff? Yes.

I have never worn out a piece of Filson gear. The double Mackinaw is too bulky to shoot a bow in. The single Mackinaw is a great coat, I wear one everyday, and you can shoot a bow in it WITH PRACTICE. The wool Cape Coat, in grey diagonal (item #95) seems to be made for bowhunters. Perfect.

Fingerless wool gloves are a staple of mine. I must own 15 pair, having them scatterd in every pocket of my coats. For shooting a bow, make sure the palms aren't too thick.

Wool hats should be required gear. I have boxes (literally)of them, and keep coming back to the watch cap, in  OD green. Coupled with some sort of hood or Balaclava, they work in the worst weather possible.

Salvation Army wool sweaters, with the sleeves cut off, make an awesome layer over your longjohns.

If you wear cheap cotton longjohns, you are wasting your money on good wool. It won't matter.

I recieved a Hidden Wolf/Grey Wolf wool vest for Christmas a year ago, and I am impressed with the quality. It is almost too warm for all but the coldest days. Great collar, pockets well done. Spend the extra money and get the zipper cargo pocket in the back.

I love wool.

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Watch the classifieds here, I have been able to accumulate a good collection of wool, KOM, Swanndri, SI from fellow tradgangers, trading either cash or other equipment. Watch for a beavertail vest from KOM in your size, they are simply awesome.

Terry

Offline GreatBay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
I highly recommend the Johnson's.  I've had mine for 14 years and I've used them for hunting, ice fishing, and general winter activity with them holding up 100%.
Dave
Dave Gibson

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
KOM Beaver Tail Vest is probably the warmest garment you can wear up a tree stand, remaining still able to draw your bow with out problem of bulky staff
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Google up Beagle Wear. Excellent, tightly woven quality wool with a quiet, invisible, water repellent Teflon coating. Plus,a Mossy Oak camo pattern and various other options. Excellent stuff. I love mine. BW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©