3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Suprising info on camo for calling predators  (Read 409 times)

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Suprising info on camo for calling predators
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
A few guys on here that I've visited with on the phone know I've been on a mission to call a lion into the bow. To date I've had one in with no chance of a shot. I've called coyotes for years to weapons other than the bow and they are on the list also. Getting the shot with a bow is a real tough one.
I had a coyote at 20 yds a month ago but dared not swing the bow.

Anyone working on the same goal would be interested in the last couple Predator extreme magazines, Dec and the one prior.

Dr, Charles R Shawley  has done some research on how the predators see camo patterns that is really a eye opener. Green shows up yellow to the coyote and cat. Pretty cool stuff with photos what they see compared to what we see. Lots of the real popular patterns are not very good for the predators.

If you hunt the hunters this will help, if you can find them.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Suprising info on camo for calling predators
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
Well then I must have looked like a big "yellow" bush.....

In 2000 I killed an 85# coyote at 7 yards while sitting on a piece of chunk wood along a logging road.

I was wearing a pair of forest green Johnson's wool pants,and a forest green Johnson's wool jacket. I always thought I looked like a short fat pine tree.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
I was wearing a pair of forest green Johnson's wool pants,and a forest green Johnson's wool jacket. I always thought I looked like a short fat pine tree.
:scared:    Thats one dang big coyote!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
Not being smart but I don't see why if a predator sees green as yellow it would make a difference in camo selection since bushes are green and leaves are green unless you are hunting wear there is not any green in the background.  I will check that out I love hunting predators.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
:D  I knew I'd get the usual comments.
Again, if your serious about hunting the predators with trad tackle, this is a must read.

They key on movement, the contrast's are very important to know if your gonna fool their eye. A red plaid shirt can be better than most camo during a certain season. Solid geen would match dryed grass in the fall,wool has zero shine compared to most new camo.

Early morning light will up your odds on coyote but the cat misses no movement at any light condition.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
I wanna know more bout this.

Do I need to read more ? OR will ya share more with us-uns

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
This is my year for a cat, I can't wait!!!! For getting cats in movement is key and passing up yots as well as others, The Lion is the last one you will see if you see it at all. I promis it will see you before you will see it just don't move....
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Vance, there's a few pics with the article's that say more than I can explain by one finger typing. You have a gullie and when the photos are filtered to the colors the predators see you'd be amazed at how well it works for them.

Blueline, Your right on the money. I've been experminting with decoys with some luck. The cats are gonna see the movement, what I'm working on is fooling them into coming to the movement.
A hunting buddy who uses a different weapon got one at 3 paces, couldn't figure out what he was.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
Back in the day when I lived close to the family farm in Kansas I used to call predators quite a bit.  I actually enjoyed that type of hunting above all others.  Never with a bow though!  I seemed to have a lot of success at night, especially with snow on the ground.  The bobcats were easier for me to see then, and I seemed to be able to get them closer.

Brian

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
"wool has zero shine compared to most new camo."

I think that is a big part of it!! The material has a lot to do with being seen.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
I chased down a copy of that magazine. This has always been intriguing to me. Most hunting I get is in open sage bush. Not all but by far the majority of it. I have always been of the belief, that if you can confuse the predators, you would have a pretty good handle on the game. Howsomever that's just how this ole balding Bull figures it. Recon there will be exceptions to every rule.

I'd be happy just upping my odds  

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
A friend called in and shot (with a rifle) 132 coyotes last year in eastern Oregon. I have a trip planned with him later this month. I am bringing a bow and a rifle. So, are you saying they recommend green pants and a red plaid shirt? He may not want to take me out with that on! lol  It sounds like their eyes are definitely different than deer's...? I don't know if I can find this magazine here in Eugene. Anymore info. would be appreciated Roughcountry.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
I re read the first part of the article in the oct. issue. I miss spoke on the green color. Coyotes and the cats don't see red at all and see yellow as yellow, light green is seen as bright yellow and the darker you get into green the preadator's see as white. Black is seen as black.
Now if you put that all together, you can see where movement is the real tough one. with normal camo sold for prey animals most of it would hilight movement.
Coyotes are near sighted and would see most camo as a dark blob at anything over 50 yds. High def camo would mean nothing to a near sighted critter.

In the pictures with the colors removed that the predators don't see and the ones added that they do see, the gilli is king.

Some other camos would work if you could hide movement. At our ranges with stick and string trying to draw the bow is the chore. I know from experiance that a lion could teach the prey animals a thing or three about jumping the string.

Snag, I know the country you will hunt. When I redo my homemade guillie I'll give you the colors I choose for our ground in the fall.
Still trying to decide acording to this info.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Thanks! I do have a store bought ghilli top and pants. Kind of a light olive green to a dark green and black. In close to a coyote I would think a recurve would be a good choice. You would have to draw and release quickly to have a chance, unless he was turned away from you...?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Sounds like a study worthy of intense research...I volunteer to write the grant application letter for you Robin...then you just invite me up when you got it all figured out.    :rolleyes:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
my freind says asat camo for coyotes,deer.it messes with them.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
:D  Your on JC. I'm sure not gonna be as good a cook as your used to, but I got a couple recipes for roadkill that have kept me from starving.

Lots of things to think about with this info. Two other things he metioned is the color needs to fit the  season and the pattern has to be large.

I think asat and predator camo would work better than most if the color was seasonal and they were well worn.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Well gents, until you get the predators to really tell you what they see, you can do no more than guess, based on the make-up of the predator's eye.   All the research in the world still shows that the main ingredient for predators being predators is smell and movement.
Yellow, not moving is a bush...green, not moving is another bush.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
SO what do you use for a decoy....Something on a string so you can move it with part of your body so you can distract them while you draw???

Jer Bear

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
 They key on movement, the contrast's are very important to know if your gonna fool their eye. A red plaid shirt can be better than most camo during a certain season. Solid geen would match dryed grass in the fall,wool has zero shine compared to most new camo.  
So maybe that's how I got this dog coyote in close enough for a shot. I was wearing green wool pants and a red plaid wool coat.    :archer:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©