3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tanto tip-pics-is this correct  (Read 304 times)

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
tanto tip-pics-is this correct
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
Ok,
this is my first try at a grizzly with tanto tip per Dr,Ed Ashby. Does this look right??

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tanto tip-pics-is this correct
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
When I do mine I just continue the same angle on the tip as the blade and have had great luck (kinda like the pics from ashby) not really sure what you did maybe some one with more info will step in.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
it looks like you switched the side of the bevel,  there should grinding on one side only andthey meet in the midle some where

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Robert,
That's an excellent first try!!! You definitely have the concept down.  :thumbsup:

On your next one try not to take quite so much off from the very tip. The pictures show a small flat at the tip. You beveled it correctly, just use a steeper angle and try to keep a point on the tanto.

I use a bench grinder and start grinding the back-bevel at the outside edge and slowly work towards the tip with a series of light touches to the stone. Watch for the slightest sign of a burr and stop as soon as you see it. You are on the right track, just try not to change the shape of the tanto.  

You could also try double beveling the tanto. Either way you might want to practice on some older heads (any brand).

I'll see if I can get some pics up this weekend. (If you don't beat me to it).  :D

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
Looking again at the pics, It appears that you did a nearly perfect job on the back bevel in the top pic. The pic in the center shows that when you back beveled the opposite side of the tanto your grind was focused more towards the tip. I suspect that if you had beveled both blades like you did in the top pic, then you would have had a nice point on the tip. Ideally the grind should be very close to parallel with the outside edges of the tip.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
actually,it looks the same on each side. there is a short,diagonal,double bevel chisel point about 1/32"-1/16" long at the very tip rather than a point. when the 25 degree bevel is put on each side of the broadhead before the tanto is touched, it does not run to the center of the tip. when i bevel the flat side ( left with the point facing away from me), i cut till i got to the bevel on the right side. If i had stopped right at the center i would have a flat spot from the center tip to the right side bevel. My angles and edge control is very exact.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by jrchambers:
it looks like you switched the side of the bevel,  there should grinding on one side only andthey meet in the midle some where
Not so.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
That's how envisioned it should look. Starting to sharpen up my batch tonight.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
When a Grizzly is beveled at a true 25 degree angle, the bevel extends  past the center of the blade at the tip.

Please excuse the poor photo but it's all I have at the moment.

This head has been practiced with and has hit dirt a couple of times but you can see that it still has a fairly well defined point on the tanto. You may or may not be able to make out the tanto's back-bevel on the bottom blade but, it's there.

Here'a LH beveled STOS with the same tanto tip configuration as the grizzly, only this one has not been shot yet. I't's tough to see the back bevel on this one too but it's done the same as the Grizzly.

Tanto tips have significant advantages over both needle points and chisel points.

The first and best known advantage is that a tanto greatly increases the strength of the tip and prevents the tip from curling over on bone hits. A chisel tip also shares this advantage over a straight needle point.

The advantage that a sharpened tanto has over both needle points and chisel points is it's resistance to skip off of bone, particularly on angle shots. In order to take full advantage of the tanto it's important that the tip remains sharply pointed.

A lot of us used to single bevel the tanto from the same side as the main blade bevel but, Dr. Ashby's testing found that this configuation was the most likely to skip off bone on anything other than broadside shots.

To test the effective skip resistance of a sharpened tanto, lightly touch the tip to your thumbnail at a fairly low angle... it should dig in rather than skip across your nail, even when slowly rotated. If it digs into your nail, then it will dig into any bone just the same way.

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by jrchambers:
JR,

Good point. That is correct with some of the new single bevel designs like tha "Ashby" broadheads from Alaska bowhunter's Supply and the new Steelforce single bevel. I think (could be wrong) on those heads, the bevel angle is figured in to the design of the broadhead so that when the bevels are ground they do indeed meet in the middle.

It's when we change the factory bevel angle on a broadhead that the tanto needs to be sharpened differently.

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
I see i need a steeper angle for the tanto. Looked at one i have without the tanto and the bevel does go to the tip. still looking for a picture that shows this perfectly. maybe someone can take a perfect example and use different colour markers to highlight the bevels.
thanks again
Rob

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
TTT I'd like to see this too.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Now just where did you get a single beveled STOS...pray tell?
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
Heck, I've long since given up on sharpening grizzlies and I'm looking for someone to do my 1/2 dozen 190's up for me. I went through too many trying to replicate the directions. I'm just sharpening challenged on these broadheads.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
Al,

Made them myself from blanks. We will be offering them by this spring. (Been saying that for a while) Tooling this job has been a nightmare!!!! Not quite there yet BUT... It apears that we are winning...  
 :pray:

BTH,

I'll sharpen them for you if you like. We're still not selling pre-sharpened Grizzlies out-right but, we can sharpen Grizzlies (or any other broadheads) that people buy elsewhere and send to us. Have to get $5 each just to break even though. A lot of work goes into them. Give me a call if you're interested.

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©