3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New file. . .why do I always wait?  (Read 324 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
New file. . .why do I always wait?
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Yesterday I was at Fastenal picking up bolts and nuts when I saw an eight inch bastard file hanging on the hook.  I said "what the heck" and bought it.  This morning Jason and I broke it out to touch up some heads for this weekend and it went through the steel like butter.

Why don't I get a new file every year when they do a so much better and faster job.

Note to self:  Buy a new file each August for use only with BHs.

Ok, who is going to be responsible for reminding me?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New file. . .why do I always wait?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
I will Mike!!!.......just remind me.   :biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
Thats funny Mike.During early elk season in sept.One of the guy's asked if I could give him a general idea on sharpening broadheads with a file.I pulled out one of my bear razorheads,not all that hard of steel.I used his brand new file and it scared me how fast and how well it worked.The one I have was about 5 years old and needless to say.I wish you would have posted this before hunting season.It would have made me look better to have had a new file and I would not have had to steal the new guy's file....bowdoc

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
I keep a file in my "Archery Tackle Box" at all times.  I found that wrapping with light cardboard, then a few wraps of duck tape makes a nice holster for the file.  It keeps it dry, clean and will not rub against anything else in the box.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
I think we just get used to the slow degeneration of the file and live with it until it gets so bad we think about replacing it.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
I think we just get used to the slow degeneration of the file and live with it until it gets so bad we think about replacing it.
Yup!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
I'm with Bowdoc..."Now you tell me!"   :knothead:  

Now I just have to find a knifemaker who wants to trade for a 14" double cut bastard file that has seen better days.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Anyone know how to clean an old file? I don't think it got used a whole bunch but in between the lines are loaded with gunk- wire brush and some type of cleaner? I think the file has some life left in it, it's a 12" nickolsen mill bastard file, worked great on my grizzlies.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
A file card will get that stuff out of it.  It is a wide flat wire brush on one side and a bristle brush on the other.  Pull the wire side through a few strokes and then use the bristle side.  This should be done each time you use the file. The metal particles clogging the teeth is called pinning. The file card is made specifically for this and you can find them where you buy your files.  I learned this in the Air Force.  Your files will last much longer. Just thought I would pass this along.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I keep a piece of chalk near my broadhead file.  When you're done and have cleaned the file, rub the chalk across it.  This will help- keep the file clean, when stored, and you'll be able to see where there is any build up next time you use it.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
My grandpa would take his old files and place then under the edge of his rook.Then it would rain on them for however long.He used a brass bristle brush which also had some pig bristles around the otter edge of the brass wires.Then he would work from edge to edge.But for 3 bucks I ai'nt gonna clean no stinken files.We should all ask santa for them as stocking stuffers.bd

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks guys Ill get a brush and chalk and give it a try. The file still seems to "cut" pretty good although I have nothing to compare it to, I think it's got some life left in it. I can say that in about 10 minutes I could get my grizzlies sharp verses the over two hours I had on the lansky sharpener. I have an old case knife that my dad gave me and it's got a new edge now too, I used it back when I was making bows to scrape with.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©