3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How loud is your THUMP ?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
How loud is your THUMP ?
« on: January 02, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Just wondering how loud the Thump should be on a longbow. Mine is a Tomahawk Diamond SS (quieter with the FF string than with Dacron) and it seems pretty quiet but I'm looking for more stealth.
I'm never satisfied in my quest to make my bow quieter.
I'm thinking of trying some string leaches with a little wool above them to maybe hide them some. Anybody ever tried it?

I know I could try heavier arrows but I'm dead set on the 530 grain carbons I'm shooting now.

Anybody got one so quiet that all you hear is the arrow leaving? If so how'd you do it?

Thanks to any and all.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How loud is your THUMP ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
I mess with the brace height until it sounds right. I'll start low and work my way up until it sounds right. I like my brace height as low as possible with quiet shooting. I also have two string silencers on each end of the bow. My first one is 9-10 inches down and the second is 14-15 inches down.
 I'll sometimes dedicate an entire shooting session to releasing the string without plucking too. Doesn't matter where the arrow hits the target as long as the release is quiet during that session.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
530 gr.  How much weight are you shooting?  I shoot 58# and a 670 gr. arrow.
Semper Fi

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
The makes no thump compared to my heart when there's game in close-even rabbits do that to me.  I'll quit if that thump ever goes away.
Ohh your talking the bow.  The guys I hunt with bows are so quiet that when they shoot, all I hear is the arrow hitting the sage-never hear thier bows.  I think that's good enough.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Arwin,
Does the 2 sets of silencers help?  I have a problem plucking the string, that I can't seem to get over.  Any advice for that problem?
Thanks,
>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I've messed with the brace and between 7 1/8 to 7 3/4 I really can't tell any difference. I've tried 2 sets of silencers and just one set, the 2 sets are a little better but not a whole lot.
I'm shooting 48# @ 27".
I wonder if I'm a string plucker myself, sometimes I get a decent soft thump and sometimes I get a twang that's a little louder.
What's the trick to not plucking?  :help:    :help:    :help:    :help:    :help:
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
The two sets of silencers seem to help for my set-ups. I stopped wearing a shooting glove or using a finger tab and shoot bare fingered. For some reason I have had less problems with plucking. I will say that it takes some callous building and your fingers will be sore until you get used to shooting that way. I do landscape construction, so the skin on my fingers are already like alligator skin. I still have a slight thump sound, but it's considerably less than it has ever been.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
The TRICK to not "plucking" the string is to keep pushing with the bow hand... ;) ...PUSH...PULL...That's what works for me.

>>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
If you shoot accurate w/ the your pluck method why mess w/ it.If you aren't satisfied w/ your accuracy you may look elsewhere for the problem.Inconsistant anchor can cause plucking.
As 4 to quiet your bow.All the above suggestions work.You may also try not to deep hook to string.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
That's a pretty nice bow. If you're doing your job, it should be quiet enough. If you have more questions about setup, I'd contact Dale at 3-Rivers. That's his bow.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
I halve two mink silencers to make four and space one set at 1/4, and the other at 1/3. Makes LB and RC deathly quiet with a  97 string.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
two sets of rubber catwhiskers on my CX,,,not a sound until the arrows hits the target. i don't think it's the catwhiskers though.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Titan_Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
The bow design plays a role here as well.  I have a Wes Wallace Royal, probably a similar R/D design to the Thawk.  It is quiet, but nowhere near as quiet as some of my selfbows, or my old Steve Martin osage /purpleheart longbow.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
THump...out of the package. 40# @ 29" ACS CX with my 1916s and 125 gr. point. Thanks A&H for a quiet performer....
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
As far as a silencing method, I am a firm believer in getting rid of cat whiskers (they vibrate and humm) and I don't use beaver balls because they don't actually do anything except look cool. Get yourself a good pair of yarn puffs or spend a bit more and get some musk ox silencers.

I shoot a Bob Lee recurve and I install the puffs 13 inches from the tip of the string on a 60" bow. I have my brace height close to what the manufacturor recommends, and I don't think there is a more quiet recurve that I have ever shot. You might also want to purchase some moleskin and apply it to the limbs in the limb grooves and see what that does for you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 02:40:00 AM »
I've told this one to a lot of people,most of them look at me like I'm mad and even those that have seen me shoot (an havn't heard my bow) still won't try them,,,but here goes anyway.
Try industrial ear plugs,the soft foam ones you use once.
I use them on my recurves an longbows and they work better than ANYTHING else out there.
If you work in the right type of industry they usualy cost nothing.If you don't,,,buy some,, their dirt cheap,,,an work!

Offline Mint Hill Mule

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
John57,  Do you put them in the string, how far from limb tips?

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
ears,lol!
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Go Kawika-now that's funny!

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 01:51:00 AM »
I put them about six inches from the tips an just spread the string while it's unstrung,then a couple of drops of Fletch tite holds them from moving.
Cheers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©