3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help w/ turkey feathers.  (Read 140 times)

Offline DuffyRP

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Help w/ turkey feathers.
« on: November 13, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
I saved the feathers from my turkey this year and I wanted to fletch up some arrows with them.  Any helpful hints or ideas on how to prepare the feathers.  I have a feather burner and my trusty Bitzenburger.  I just want to know if there is any special way to split the feather or if a helical will mess it up etc…..
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Traditional Archery Society
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help w/ turkey feathers.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
Ranger 3 that looks like a pretty cool site.

In the pics Ferret is striping the featers.  That's just one way to do it.  If your using a fletching jig, you may want to look into splitting and grinding your fletchings.

I strip mine because, for me, it's faster.  But, I've found that it you want to take the time to split and grind them, they lay better on the shaft when using a jig.

ch

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
I split them with a utility knife, cut out a 6-7" length, and put the bases to a grinding wheel. A little light sanding and trimming of the sides, and they're ready to chop, or in your case, fletch and burn. I did it this way this spring for the first time, and found it to be pretty easy to accomplish. Good luck!

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
If you don't want the feathers send them to me.  Ha  I have been fletching my own for several years.  I use a Razor blade knife ( has several blades - when dull, just snap off the blade and the new one is ready.  Push the blade down to the next one and you are ready to go).  I split down the center of the quill.  Make several passes cutting lightly each time, so the blade follows the same path.  When seperated, I sand the bases on a drum sander lightly until flat.  Then on the heavy front end of the feather lightly sand the thick side of the quill, until it is the same the entire length.  Cut to length with razor blade knife - apply fletching tape and put on arrow ( in jig ).  When you have all the feathers on, dab a little glue on the leading ends, then run them through your burner.  Your done and ready to shoot.  I usually die the cock feather with Dye from 3 Rivers Archery.  Beware - don't spill any, as it stains everything.  Heat and mix in a old roaster pan and store in a glass gallon jug.    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©