3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to traditional archery, saying hello  (Read 325 times)

Offline melsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
New to traditional archery, saying hello
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
Hello,

My name is Brian I am 34 years old I work as a supervisor in a Tool & Die shop. I am married, and have a beautiful 4½ year old daughter. My hobbies are Hunting, Camping, Knifemaking to name a few. I plan on getting into traditional archery hopeing to be ready for hunting season of 2009. I have been doing alot of blackpowder flintlock shooting at woodswalks this past year, and think that the longbow will compliment my traditional interests. I also belong to the Traditional Muzzloader Association.

I am totally new to traditional archery, and don't know exactly were to begin. I plan to hunt deer, and possibly turkey with my bow. I am after a bow with a draw weight that will cleanly kill an animal that size, but is still a pleasure to shoot for an entire afternoon. I am after a bow that is moderatly priced, not junk, but not top end either.

So a few of my questions would be:

What is a good bow for a beginner?
What draw weight should I be looking for?
What can I expect to pay for a bow?

Any other information or advice is kindly welcome

Thanks
Brian

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to traditional archery, saying hello
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Welcome Brian!

Any bow you like the feel/look of is a good one for a beginner.

Draw wt 45 lbs is a great place to start.

Couple hundred will get you a great used bow. Check the site classifieds or get to a shoot and try out some bows at the vendors. Lots of trad folks in SW PA to visit with and try their bows too.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
welcome Brian.  sit tight.  Lots of info will be flying in shortly.

You know, its hard to just meet someone on a web site and say " this is what you need".  So much depends on your size, your strength, any other limitations.  And... some folks that can bench press 500 pounds cannot comfortably pull certain weight bows.  It is very much dependant on you.

I think that generally, a bow in the 50 - 55 pound range at your draw length will be everything you need for deer and turkey and even more.   A 45 can do it too.  So can a 65.

Whether you go with a longbow or a recurve is all your choice.  Both are great choices.  

One bit of advice given here is to go to a couple trad shoots and see and hold what is out there.  Most folks would love to show you their equipment,  and of course  theirs is " the best".  What it does do is let you see   and feel   (that part is very important) a bunch of different bows so you can count some in   and some out  of consideration.

New bows range from maybe $200 up to whatever your wallet will hold,   certainly well over $1,000.  Those same bows,  used,  might be 20 % - 30 % or even more less.

Get ready for some answers......
ChuckC

Offline coconutdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Welcome Brian
  Try to find some traditional archery folks in your neck of the woods and try out some bows. As Shaun said 45#'s is a good starting point. Check out the classifieds.
   Dave
Someday you'll regret the things you didn't do.
Michigan Bowhunters  (life member)
Michigan Longbow Assc.
NRA  (life member)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Boy, have you come to the right place Brian!  :wavey:    Welcome to the fire.  :campfire:  

As for a bow to start with, most would say 45 - 50# at your draw length is a good range to start with.  I agree.  How much weight are you currently pulling with your compound and how long is your draw with that?  Generally, you will draw an inch or two less with a traditional bow.

As to a good bow to start with, used is always a good option until you figure out what you really want.  The classifieds here are a great source.  

If you're looking for new, check out RER bows - see the link below or loook at the in stock bows listed in the sponsor classifieds.  They build a great shooting bow at a very good price.  There are also a bunch of other great bows by Trad Gang sponsors here as well.  Many excellent options, and you just need to find what fits for you.  See the sponsor links at the top of the page.

The questions will come in a flood - jsut ask and you will get the answers you need!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
:wavey:     :wavey:

Visiting the shooters forum is a good idea also.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Welcome aboard. I agree with those who have recommended 45-50 pounds. I'd lean toward the lighter weight to get started. There are many good used bows for sale in the classified section. Since you are looking to start hunting next year, you have time to get to a trad shoot or two. That would be a great way to try some bows to see what weight, grip and style suit you best.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Welcome to the fire.All good advise above. This is the best site for trad archery IMO. I started out knowing not much of anything and am now shooting a longbow pretty good. My hunting has also improved all due to the advise from the great people on this site. I know you gonna like the journey  Good Hunting David
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
Wecome Brian to an addiction! I'll 2nd the above. Very good advice to be found here  :wavey:
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Welcome. You certainly came to the right place. The people here are always more than willing to share what they know. They are first class all the way. I would also suggest starting with a lighter weighter bow to get your form down and then progress from there. Starting off with a heavy weight bow leads to frustration and bad habits.
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
Welcome   :campfire:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline melsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
Wow! thanks to everyone for the welcome. I am sure I will have many questions in the near future.

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »
Brian,
check you PM box.

Offline melsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
Got the message Tim.

Thanks

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Welcome Brian   If you can get you a 45# takedown to learn and use will certainly kill deer.Later you can get limbs with more weight but keep the lighter ones for when you get to be an old fart like me then you can go back to the 45#.Have fun. Actually I am shooting 50-56 mostly but when I get older I got some lighter.Kip

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
:wavey:    :archer:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Welcome Brian.  You are in a good area that has lots of traditional guys from what I hear.

Offline ThomastaylorIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Welcome, my best word of advise is to try and find some local guys to shoot with and they can help you with your form and any problems that arise.

Welcome,
Thomas
Only forgiveness will finally end this,
There won't be a witness if we both fall, Theres never a hero in a battle of evil, there's never a winner of the quick draw.

Offline melsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by ThomastaylorIII:
Welcome, my best word of advise is to try and find some local guys to shoot with and they can help you with your form and any problems that arise.

Welcome,
Thomas
That is great advice. I just found that tradebowyer lives near me, and he has already offered his help to me. Great bunch of folks I have met on here so far.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Welcome!!! we are going to expect some pic's in the fall of '09...  Well until then shoot often...
Sounds like you need two bows at least, can't shoot without Mel!!!!  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©