3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sears 12" bandsaw?  (Read 868 times)

Offline Wyostikbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Sears 12" bandsaw?
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
I need some help. I have a older style Sears 12" band saw that has been working fine. I've only had it a couple of months. Now the blade is slipping off the rubber on the upper wheel and riding just on the outside edge of the wheel. I can't see anything wrong but as soon as you turn it on it slips to the outside. The blade seems to stay on the bottom wheel just fine. Any pointers?
Thanks, Brent

Offline Matthew D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sears 12" bandsaw?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
is your upper wheel warped or the rubber on the wheel might need to be replaced...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
This may sound silly but.....have you tried adjusting the tracking on it yet? I had to ask....Those little homeowner saws can be a pain sometimes.....But the commercial grade jobs are spendy.....ya just can't win....If you have already tried the tracking adustment, your next option would be to take the upper wheel off and flip it around 180 degrees......sometimes that will do it has been slipping and it's worn.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
Got the same saw.........what Kirk said.-ART B

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
I have that saw too.  Never had your problem if I adjust the cooling blocks right for each blade I use but I was curious...

Kirk-where is the "tracking" adjustment located?

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
The tracking adjustment on the upper wheel is the slotted screw in the center of the wheel hub. At least it was on my 25 year old 12" Craftsman. This screw looks like it holds the wheel on and does but also doubles as a tracking adjustment.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
Adjusting the tracking of the top wheel is important, as you can see from the previous posts.  Newer Sears saw have a built in "tracking" window so you can safely see the tracking while it is running.  I tend to turn the top wheel by hand (maybe not safe ?? but I do it) while the guard is open and see where the blade sits while it is turning.  Adjust (however your saw adjusts) it till it is riding in the center and have at it.
ChuckC

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
tracking and then the rubber "band"  My band split and that was the end of that.  My problem with these smaller saws-I have two-is that the narrow blade does not track as cleanly as our industrial saws here at work.  No matter how hard I try to tension that blade to get long straight cuts, it "wobbles"
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roadkill:
tracking and then the rubber "band"  My band split and that was the end of that.  My problem with these smaller saws-I have two-is that the narrow blade does not track as cleanly as our industrial saws here at work.  No matter how hard I try to tension that blade to get long straight cuts, it "wobbles"
If your blade is wobbling you have the wrong kind of blade for the job you are trying to do usually....Those side blocks dont make your blade cut straight, they are a saftey feature to keep you from snapping the blade....that's it....You ever go in and see how many different kinds of blades there are for these things? The only way you can make these low powered economical saws do a commercial quality job is use the right kind of blade, make sure its sharp, and go SLOW.....3/4" #4 for resawing 1/2 0r 3/8" # 6 for cross cut or large radius work, and 1/4" # 8 for smaller radius stuff....the fine tooth blades that are too narrow just wont do it unless you have bearing guides....those saws start at about $550 ang go up.....

Offline Ryan O'Sullivan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
"The only way you can make these low powered economical saws do a commercial quality job is use the right kind of blade"  

Still not going to hapen, I dont care what kind of blade you use. I bought a craftsman profesional 14" saw with the bearing guides, and oh what a diferance....I had the standard duty 14" saw before that and theres no comparison.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
There were only two kinds of blades offered by Sears.  It cuts, but it has to be off the line and then lots of sanding.  I have very good industrial stuff here at work that I can use and that's what I do.  Don't doubt the blade is off.  Thnaks
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Wyostikbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
You guys are the greatest! It was the tracking adjustment screw on the upper wheel. I got it adjusted and got both my Z splices cut and I'm ready to glue them up. Sorry I was so long in getting back to you.
Thanks, Brent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©