3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Arrows.  (Read 455 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching Arrows.
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
I mess up a lot of feathers shooting outdoors (and missing a lot). Does it pay and how do you learn to repair the feathers? What equiptment do I need?
Thanks
sam

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Arrows.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
You would need a fletching jig (left wing or right wing depending on which ones are on your current arrows), fletching tape or cement, and appropriate matching feathers.

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
I think it pays if you refletch often enough.  I decided that for the convenience alone I would sink the money to fletch my own.  I was tired of driving up to the shop and then waiting a 3-4 days during hunting season.  Look at the list below and go online for deals.

Bitzenberger fletch jig (w/clamp, don't skimp on your jig, this brand is worth it's weight in gold)
Feathers
Glue (I like GoatTuff)
A fletching stripper (one of those utility thingies, it makes the job WAY faster so don't skimp on this one either; and no, I do not mean a fledgling stripper, those will only sidetrack your fletching job)
Wraps (optional; if you get these, you won't have to strip the old glue and feathers off of the arrows)

Best,
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Thanks to both of you. Now to demonstrate my lack of knowledge on this. I just drop them off at the archery shop and it takes more than 3-4 days and costs a couple of bucks each time. Since I need to do this often, it's like the cleaners. I drop a few off, I pick a few up.

How do I tell the difference between left wing or right wing. And is there any advantage to either?
I shoot RH.

Thanks
sam

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Second note: What's a good place for "deals"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
I've got some great prices on AMG feathers...nice bright colors in parabolics...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
I have  Jo-Jan and a strait clamp.  I can use left or right feathers in the same jig.  DO NOT MIX LEFT AND RIGHT ON THE SAME ARROW.  If you are losing feathers in the grass, wrap the end with unwaxed dental tape or floss and cover with glue.  Bill

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Look at the nock end of the arrow, if the feather and catch lip make the letter "L" it is a left wing. If it makes a backwards "L" it is right wing. Hap

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Can you use wraps on wood arrows?? Never used them before and I have a dzn ramin shafts that I am getting ready to build.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
HI Sam,  Fletching is pretty easy.  In fact, I'm doing it tonight.  Dave's post pretty well covers it, altho I like Duco glue.  A Bitzenburger is worth the money IMO and you can get them new or used in classifieds and the auction place.  I have several.  It wouldn't be hard to walk you thru it, either in person or over the phone.  I'll be in touch.  Rick
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks Rick and everyone else. Are you doing mine tonight? So get a Bitzenberger. Does this do the whole arrow at once or one feather at a time? I guess to repair, and I only want to repair really, a single would be fine. Generally only mess up one feather at a time. I checked my arrows, Hap and some go left and some go right.
Usually the matched sets go the same way at least. Is there a preference if you're a right hand or left handed shooter to what kind of wing you use? Is it the feather or the fletcher that creates the twist?

Thanks again: Sam
sam

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Hey Ssamac, if you're going to use wooden arrows, check out fletch tape.  You can remove that with nothing more than your fingernail.  Regular flecting glue is going to be a lot harder to remove and you can end up gouging your shafts.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
SuperK. I don't actually plan on making arrows, just fixing damaged fletching. I suppose I can use the fletch tape, that's the double faced stuff right, to fix, but I still have to get the original glued on stuff off when the feather gets damaged.

Do you still need a jig if you use the tape?
sam

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
Yes Sam, they are yours.

The Bitz does one feather at a time, which is why I have three set up identically.  I use a kitchen timer to remind me that it's time to glue on another round of feathers.  The jig and feather work together, but the jig is what induces most of the twist.  With helical, it is important that the wing and clamp match, left or right.  You can use left or right, but in general a RH shooter will do best with a left wing jig and feathers.  I'd recommend a helical clamp and that the jig have a left nock indexer.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
Kevin-You can use wraps on wood arrows. I have done it for several dozen that I have made. It speeds up the process rather than waiting for paint to dry after cap dipping the arrows. You can still crest the arrow after the wrap is in place.  I use the Fletching tape on my feathers since it is so quick. Check the Internet specials that the sponsors may have in place for deals. Try paint sticks for your cresting. Speeds up the process even more.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »
Good news, Rick. How was the hunting?
Now since I'm a right hand shooter, I would do best with a left wing fletching. This means that looking from the nock the feather makes an "L" shape. Am I doing ok so far?

If I want to produce a helical left wing feather, I need both a left wing clamp and left wing feathers. Does the jig make sure you put the feather in the right place, ie, space them evenly around the shaft? Since some of my arrows are right wing and some left, I need a jig, a right wing clamp and a left wing clamp. Am I sounding smarter already? I also need both kinds of feathers. By the time I match all this stuff, I might as well fix damaged fletching by takeing all the old fletching off and starting all over again and just use one type of fletching and left wing period.
Thanks
sam

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »
now yer thinkin  ;)   as for L or R it doesnt matter; whichever you prefer

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
Ssamac, yes you're on the right track.

I would just buy one clamp and buy one type of feather.  Keeping only one type on hands just simplifies everything. I have a jo-jan jig with only a right helical clamp.  It's easy to find Left wing feathers in a pinch...Right wing feathers are much harder to find without resorting to the internet.

The jig will make sure your arrows are fletched at the right space. (e.g. exactly 120 degrees from each feather to the next)  You can play around with 4 fletch also.

If you use wraps you don't have to worry about gouging the shaft when you remover the arrows, just un-peel the wrapper...but you do have to remove all 3 at once.

You'll have to find what YOU like but I hate the fletching tape.  To me, it's a pain in the butt...but a lot of people think it's the best thing since sliced bread.  I now use loctite's super glue GEL and have absolutely no problem.  It's thicker and a little slower drying than normal super glue.  (still fast enough to stick your fingers together but slow enough that if you accidentally put the feather on wrong you got 3 or 4 seconds to correct.)  Only other glue I've tried was bohning's platinum...it was horrible!  I'll never go back to "fletching" glues!!!  NEVER had a plastic vane or feather come off using the SP gel.
Micah 6:8

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 02:04:00 AM »
Guess im just the oppisit from soilarch , love the tape, best thing i ever did for fletching, fast and easy. But whatever you use you will be glad that your doing your own arrows.  Saves money and time in the long runn.

Offline aplehr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »
i would just like to add that some patience is required.  i ruined 4 or 5 feathers before i finally got my jig adjusted and my technique right.  also be sure to hold your finished arrow up to a light to make sure there isn't a gap between shaft and feather - this was a problem for me early on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©