3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Post gun season tactics  (Read 170 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Post gun season tactics
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
Well, I didnt connect with my first trad deer. I shot at one....twice....and he is none the worse. I have one stand that I know will produce in late season. It is right on the edge of a bedding area, in a thick stand of cedars. The ridge runs north south and Im on the south end.
I am pretty sure I have the local population figured out for late season. Figured it wouldnt hurt to hear some other folk's ideas.
what do you have?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Ron Haines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Post gun season tactics
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
MIne is just going to consist of sitting in the tree during gun season and after gun season any chance I get.  Not much of a plan, but hopefully it works out.
Ron

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
i try to be a little more aggressive -  and make something happen and not just wait    :archer:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
One thing that seems to increase deer sightings for me, is hunting more in the middle of the day. If the deer are pressured during gun season they get used to seein hunters more in the mornings and evenings. Also if its very cold they seem to get up and move around more during the warmest part of the day.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
I have hunted the late season here in Iowa quite a bit over the years.  Our gun season ends about the 3rd week in December.  The deer are so spooked and seem to only move after dark much of the time.  They seem to be just settling down a bit by the the time our late bow season ends on Jan. 10.  What peachey says above, I would agree with.  The deer will start grouping up more and on cold days may be up and about feeding earlier in the afternoon.  I have taken a couple of deer in the days after gun season, but it is tough.  Be super cautious getting in to your stand.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Once gun season opens up here in Mule deer country, I quit doing into the timbered places with my bow and hit the open/barren sage brush hills with my single shot .30-06 and hunt with that.  If I don't fill my tag then, another bow season opens up in mid november and I take my bow into the thick stuff again.  I hunt with bow, muzzleoader, and rifle.  I won't limit myself to 1 method of hunting.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©