3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Highest Performance Longbow?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Highest Performance Longbow?
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
OK question for you guys...I'm looking to get into a new longbow soon and am curious what bows are the bigest performers?

I am looking for a pure killing machine...being that I have a short draw 26 1/2" i need to maximize my energy produced.  I have gotten into longbows over the last few months and enjoy them alot.

So which R/D bows should i be looking into??

Important things in order are smooth draw, hand shock, quietness.  I can quiet down a loud bow but I can't help a rough draw with my bum shoulder.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Highest Performance Longbow?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Thunderstick MOAB...a hybrid, but fits all the qualifications to a T!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
Tom I forget are you a righty or a lefty? I have four you can try out. If you are in fact a righty. Two Mohawks, a Lewis Hollow 3 piece takedown hybrid, and a Horne's Traditionalist. Let me know.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
I have shot a good number of bows. Curves and longbows. And IMHO, considering speed, smoothness, stability and just shooting easy where your'e looking. You will be hard pressed to beat the Morrison's.. with a close second a Centaur. Lot's of good un's out there. But what might be the apple of your eye, might be a dud for the next fellow. Go to some shoot's and try as many as possible if you can. I still like trying those I haven't before, it's fun. I really believe you would certainly enjoy the Morrison's..... good luck  !!!!!!
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
The blackswan hybrid may have the highest efficiency rating of the current top end bows not that there's really that much between them.

The ACS bows are right up there but I can't imagine any top end bow these days being so much differnt in performance as to hinder you from any of them.

Morrison,Shrew,Centaur I'm sure there are other's too   :bigsmyl:  

Depending on how quickly your looking to get one Denton hill offer's you the option to try many to see what "you" like...3rd weekend in July

Good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline selfbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Of all of the longbows I've shot the best performing bow, with your short draw would be a Kabekona River bow. With zero handshock and all the speed you could want. It would be tough to beat. Mine was a 58" and was very impressive. Glenn

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
tom indeed i am a righty thank you for the offer!!!  What are the poundages on your bows?

Swamp buck thanks bud!  You named 4 on my list already LOL!!!  I wish people shot some of these bows in my area!!

selfbowyer thanks bud never heard of them but that is something i am looking for.  i am looking for a short bow that will still shoot well and not be so tempermental...just an all around killing machine.

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Deadbolt, look at the Mohawk and Tradionial that Bentpole has. I have owned both of these and they are real shooters! Pick the one you like best and try it out. The last 30 longbows I have owned all shot about the same fps. with the same weight arrow, so shoot what you like best( fits,hits,and looks good to you). KEN
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
also let me add i am a fan of the more modern grips...something with a narrower top and a meaty palm...i dont really like the suitcase handle type grips i see on alot of longbows if that helps out at all.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Sent you PM  Tom....check out the pics...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
replied bud!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
Sounds like you would like the ACS CX go look at acsbows.com great bow and folks too.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
You have another PM>....more pics
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
I am partial to a Fedora Xtreme.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
I bet I know what Joe Skipp is showing you    :)   and by all accounts I would have to agree.  He's surely one to know.

With that said, I had a Swan that I can honestly say was a scorcher.  Also had a foam/carbon Morrison that would be hard to top.  Can't discount the ACS if your considering three-piece bows.  Centaur carbons have the same rep. but I wouldn't know personally.  Speed demons IMHO and very smooth shooters too I might add.  I know you've heard it before but there's more to performance than speed alone so choose wisely.  Some of the others mentioned above really ring my bell as well. Personally, I'm currently highly interested in the Morrison ILF's with longbow limbs. Now back to Joe Skipp ...
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
joe replied again hehe

jedimaster thanks bud!  i guess ill have to start shooting some of these bad boys!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
Tom, my one piece Mohawk is 49#s @ 28"s, the two piece is 52#s @28"s, The Traditionalist is 53#s @28"s and the Lewis Hollow is 48#s@ 27"s.By the way I have a 27" draw Tom.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I've shot a bunch of them.  Right now, I'm shooting an ACS.  I just may have found my holy grail.  Awfully tough to beat in terms of speed, smoothness and stability.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Deadbolt are you going to make it to Kalamazoo or Baltimore Bowmen? I believe our new SXT has all the qualities you are looking for,but then I am a little biased.The riser is based on our Extreme Recurve riser,but slimmed down and 14" long.It is available with longbow limbs 58"-64" or interchagable recurve limbs.The long bow limbs shoot right with the recurve limbs. You can get a look at them on our web-site.
Happy Hunting Bill

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
they will have carbon on the back at least. you will be picking at knats between them. They (there are probably half a dozen) tend to be expensive when you get to the top 3.
r

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©