3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Highest Performance Longbow?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Highest Performance Longbow?
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
A&H offers something that is fairly unique, that is an aluminum riser which adds a lot of mass weight to the bow. Makes it very stable and shock free.. I have 4 of them.

Good luck,
                              Pat

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
LOL I remember asking this ? a long long time ago hahahahahaha ain't ya glad ya asked    :biglaugh:  

Just remember whats right for me or the next guy may or may not be the one for you.Their all good but which grip style do ya like and that can be differnt within the same bower...Bob Morrison offer's several grip option's I guess that would be the main differance between bows is how they feel in each of our hands if at all possible try some differnt grips styles to see what you like I prefer a lower grip some like a higher grip

good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
I've owned 2 Morrison Shawnee with Dakota limbs and 4 ACS CX's.  I prefer the ACS and it is my go to bow.  Having said that, I will have a new Centaur in March.  The Morrison was a very good bow, but not nearly as fast as the ACS.  The Centaur interested me due to the custom grip.  Hope it is as good as everyone says it is.  Good luck in your search, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the bows these guys have mentioned.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
first thanks everyone for the info i appreciate it greatly!!!

swampbuck...man its like pandoras box...i figured there would be a handfull LOL not this many great bows!!  ive been researching non stop since this and its only making my list grow LOL!

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
3 piece ACS CX......I think all the numbers put it as the fastest at their rated poundage than anything out there. I have one and it's real smooth...real smooth....Plus I dropped 10 pounds in draw weight for the same performance...that's always good.

I am still waiting for the arrows for my Shrew. Then I will have comments on it, but right now it's hard to rate it cause nothing I have to shoot has enough spine...drat

Jer Bear

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
I can't add much to the mix, I like the A&H ACS-CX, have two 64" with the aluminum risers (59# and 70# @ 29").  But when it comes to eye candy AND performance the Shawnee with Dakota carbon foams is hard to beat.  

Actually have one Shawnee coming in the mail that has bamboo core but not hard on the eyes at all (62" A-riser, 58# @ 29") with Eastern Diamondbacks on limbs, and just this AM ordered another from Bob's Stock bow list (62", 64# @ 29") A-Riser with carbon foam Dakota limbs.  Having it personalized a bit, with a low grip and 1/2 pinecones, also having copperheads applied to the limbs.

Pics of the riser from the one ordered this AM:

"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
shawnee foam core low wrist grip

TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
Tom, you know what I think. It's under my signature. He can make it the way you want it, and I'm telling you, these bows shoot.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Hey Tom, how much is in the new bow account first? There's alot of high end bows here Bud.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
Tom you can shoot both of my bows they are listed below. I may be willing to part ways with one of them too. Send me a PM we can talk.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
tom right now not sure...if it was just me like it use to be i have no problem spending the bucks...widow was a pretty penny so was my AS...im willing to sink money into something i will enjoy.

but now my girl is getting into archery so i may have to buy her a bow which means less money on me lol.

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
I believe that the grip can make or break your relationship with any bow.  That said, I feel Morrison bows have the best grips in the industry.  I shot high wrist grip for a while but after shooting his low grip I have changed my mind!
Brant
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
I would not buy a bow just based on recommendation...that's a good way to be disappointed.  You better shoot the ones you are seriously thinking about....I see too many high dollar bows for sale in the classifieds by guys who were claiming them to be the last bow they would ever own.

You may find a small name just the ticket, so don't get real enamored by the name dropping; SHOOT THE BOW BEFORE YOU BUY IT.  My personal opinion is the forward riser models are most friendly in the accuracy department and beautiful to point and shoot with in the field.
Did I mention...SHOOT THE BOW BEFORE YOU BUY IT?

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Many of the suggestions listed are excellent choices. But, a lot of them are pretty high end ($$$). If you're looking for something less expensive a used Martin Vision is a great, high performance hybrid. I've owned two and they both shot right up with the fastest stuff out there. Nice thing is that you can find used ones for $250-300 and get all the performance, durability, and finish of a bow costing much more.

If money was no object, the Morrison and Adcocks are the cream of the crop, in my opinion. I had a Cougar that was extremely fast and extremely easy to shoot.

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
I went with a one piece longbow because i got tired of my left arm getting tired of carying a heavy bow around. Typically a 3 piece will weigh more than a one-piece and if i have been out hiking into a remote area with a heavy (mass weight) bow, no matter how good it performs, at the end of the day i will hate it! One of the reasons i got rid of training wheels. Also why i have a one-arrow bow quiver and a back/side quiver.

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
I have a 64" 53#@28" MASSIE Longhorn that is smooth,shockfree and spits an arrow out pretty quick.
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2008, 01:50:00 AM »
I guess if they worked for Howard, they'll work for me.

Howard Hill Big Five: 50#@28" and 68" long.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
21st Century Edge with a full moon grip. You can also get it with carbon limbs. This design with the carbon limbs will give you the maximium energy.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Indiana Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
I like my Fedora xcellerator . I drove out there once to order it, and again to pick it up. I like the Man and the bow. I don't think you're much farther from Pennsylvania than I am.

Offline Stan the bow man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
blackwidow
Blackwidow PSAX 45@28 64” Black & White Ebony
 Blackwidow  PLX TD 64” 48@28” Black & White Ebony
  Massie 64"48@28 Longhorn Longbow      
Roland Jenkins recurve 50 @ 28”
Bear Polar LB 45 @ 28”
Bear Grizzly 55 @28
2 Osage self bows