3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve Case  (Read 251 times)

Offline GrootWildJagter

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve Case
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:48:00 AM »
Hi there,

I am new to the site and new to the sport... well not totally new, just the traditional side of it  :)  

I am from South Africa, and will be getting my new Recurve soon. A Johnny Snyman Scythian Recurve   :thumbsup:  

I would like to know from you guy, how do you store and transport your bow? I can seem to find any ''hard'' protective case for a recurve bow?

I would like a nice hard plastic case or metal case as I will travel quite a bit with my bow, but cant seem to find any, especially not in South Africa.

So have any of you build your own cases, if so, please post some pics and pointer.

Much Appreciated,

GrootWildJagter (Big Game Hunter   :)  )

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve Case
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »
G'day and welcome to TradGang and traditional bowhunting!

3 Rivers Archery and Kustom King Archery sell stuff like that, and their service is excellent to far-flung places such as you and I live in.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Cases+Bow_c43_s193_p0_thumb.html

http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=6&CATID=11&ObjectGroup_ID=34&OBS=21&Move=prev&Pcount=23&CurrentPage=2

When I bought my first recurve, a one-piece, I wanted to treat it to a hardcase just like a rifle - but I had no idea that shops like the above ones existed, so I got the local sheetmetal joint to make an aluminium case, the price of which is enough to make me blush still. As ridiculously-expensive that it was, it saved my bow from a bushfire, and though insurance would've covered the bow, it couldn't have covered the special memories of it being my first traditional bow. Anyway, for travel by vehicle, a soft case is fine.

Good shooting and hunting,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline GrootWildJagter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 05:13:00 AM »
Thanks will go look there. My recurve is a one piece.

I will be flying with the bow that is my reasoning behind the metal case.

Think I will try to build my own one. There is a pplace here that build custom cases, they even mould the bow and other accesories into the protective foam, but at $350 for a case I will have to pass on that one

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:31:00 AM »
I think that your local place might offer the better case for flying on airlines - the ones at the places above are not rated as being airline approved.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
This one\\'s  recommended for planes...
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Ah, so it is! That'd be the one for GrootWildJagter to get, then.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Only if 59" is enough!

:readit:  

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
Hi,
    Here's one I made cheaply.

6" underground drainage pipe, end cap glued on one end with the top cap drilled through.

I used drilled threaded rod through the end cap with a padlock.(this was cut off at some point on the trip even though I had asked if it was ok to lock it)

I used cable ties to secure it on the way back, with spares taped on in case they opened it again.

I glued mouse matt inside the 2 end caps and twisted rope for handle and shoulder strap, tied between the ribs.

My recurve fit in nice and snugly with the limb tips touching one side and the limb savers touching the other holding it firmly.

It got to Colorado and back from the UK.

Make them any size you want.

Hope this helps,  Andy.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
My first three piece recurve was a Black Widow PMAIII that I purchased used. Facing the same choice as you, I purchased the travel vault from BW as the interior foam was cut to fit the bow. When I switched to a Schafer 3pc, I sold the bow and kept the case. I purchased additional foam and cut it to fit the Schafer. The cases are available from Pelican cases, the foam from most craft stores. It is near bomb-proof, floats and has two lock points.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
Hi Groot

Seems to me that your dilema would be a good excuse to buy a new three piece takedown and put it in your suitcase for travel.
You could put the cost of the bow case toward the new bow.
Everyone needs a new bow.

John

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Excellent suggestions so far but my favorite is from Outwest -   :thumbsup:
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 02:03:00 AM »
Welcome to Trad, and hello from across the border!

You're going to love the Scythian recurve, I shot one at Johnnys workshop last year and it was very smooth and had great speed. Nice to have a "African" bow as your first.

For cases I think Alpine Aluminium make them, you can get their contact details in a Magnum magazine.

Cheers!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
I'm with Outwest.  You need another bow.  There are a multitude of excuses for buying a new bow and this is one of the best!  :cool:  

With a three piece takedown packed inside of your regular baggage you will save excess baggage fees everytime you travel.  Add that to what you save on a case and buying a new bow will actually SAVE you money!  How can it get any better than that!  :D
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©