3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ziess/Swarovski compact binocular opinions  (Read 2193 times)

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ziess/Swarovski compact binocular opinions
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
I'm considering the 8x20 version of these (Leica only has the 10x20 size).

Anyone have any opinions that use either of these? I'm really not looking for the "are the top 3 worth it comments".

Swarovski says that their version is laser alligned and the field of view at 1,000 yards is 345' versus 285' for the Ziess. I have may have an opportunity to get Swaro's for the same price as the Ziess, so let's assume price is not a factor.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ziess/Swarovski compact binocular opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
I have the Swaro's and they are great.

I had Ziess 8 x 32 and thought the Swaro's to be brighter.  I ended up selling the Ziess.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
I have a friend who's a glass guru and really studies the pros and cons. He recently bought the smaller Swarovski, but has been somewhat disappointed in their overall performance.   :(  

He loves the older Leica products and Swarovski's newer EL full size glass.   :thumbsup:  

Try to do a side by side comparison before buying.
Lon Scott

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Thanks Lon.
I'll be trying side by side for sure. One review I read said something about the rubber eyecup ring coming off the Swaro's when going in and out of the pocket? I'm hoping to get some of that type of comment as well. I've looked through the new EL's and they are nice for sure.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Ray, I don't have any experiece with the Ziess or the Swaro's, but I do have a pair of the Leupold Golden Ring 9x25's and they do a fine job. The only problem I have with these small glasses is early morning and late afternoon when the lights not good, they don't pick up much light. I much prefer the medium size 8x32's, they have enough x for longer range and are small enough to carry all day. If you have a chance look thru some in low light situations. BTW "The top 3 are worth the price!" You get what you pay for in binos!
 Good Luck! (Sent you a PM) Guss

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
I have the Zeiss compacts, and while the clarity is good, I have trouble finding something quickly with them. I spot movement with my naked eye, and then can't find it very fast with the glasses. I don't know if it's just me, or other binoculars are better at it. If someone knows, please tell me.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
I have tried them all, repair wise Swarovski and Ziess go back to shop less than Lieca. I have owned the compact Ziess and Swarovski, I like niether, full size glass only way to go for me. They are ok for checking out a deer coming through the woods 100yrds an under. If you intend on doing any quantity of glassing for game these compacts are of minimal use. I find the Swarovski's have better colour enhancement in low light conditions than the Ziess or Lieca.
hunt it

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
Among top-of-the-line binoculars you can't really make the choice by quality, can you?

Regarding durability of product, look for telescope barrels to be: #1 aluminum alloy; #2 magnesium alloy; #3 housing as [some] reinforced plastic/fiberglass/Lexan/Makralon. In exceptionally hard use lenses that are set into plastic barrels become dislodged more easily than those set into metal. Dunno why this is so.

Regarding durability of product, diopter adjustment is: #1 individually focusing eye pieces; #2 individually focusing eye pieces that move one eye piece indirectly; #3 central focusing. To my knowledge, all militaries' binoculars are IF rather than CF. It's less expensive, more durable, better sealed. Regardless where you hunt, IF will not significantly inconvenience you. Adjust your focus once.

Birding is different, though, and most binoculars sold are intended to focus on objects whose range changes frequently and rapidly.

Regarding durability, lenses made from Schott (Zeiss subsidiary) optical glass are more abrasion resistant than other glass. Your alternatives use Schott optical glass.
And now to an equally interesting question: Why use compact binocular when optics that will be significantly more useful in low light (dawn and dusk) are available at not much greater weight and bulk?

I use Zeiss 8x30 B/GA IF Olive binocular with F2 rangefinder reticle, eye piece and objective lens covers, snow filters, and strap -- weighing 25 ounces. This is nowhere near the smallest and lightest binocular in its class. The weight difference between what you want and what I use is as much as a pound. If you backpack for weeks at a time, this is a big number. If not, not.

Just some thoughts.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Just my  opinion, but the argument for the compacts has nothing to do with weight, it's the bulk that is a problem.

If I can't keep a set of binos around my neck, they aren't going to get used.  I'm not keeping anything around my neck while bowhunting that has a chance of getting wrapped up in my bowstring during a shot.  Therefore, compacts get the nod because of their lower prfile, not lower weight.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Jeff, a bino-harness is one solution for the problem. Lift against elasticized pressure to use.

Alternately, wearing a [padded] strap over one shoulder and beneath other arm, with binocular resting somewhere near lower ribcage height beneath that arm [to protect binocular] is another solution. Swing/slide/pivot along the strap to bring binocular from beneath arm to use.

Of the solutions, bino-harness is more convenient to use. It is also less comfortable to me. Off-season practice mitigates any inconvenience for either solution -- analogous to practice shooting with your hunting bow.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
Ray,

I don't know where you have been looking, but Leica certainly does have a compact 8x20.  I have been saving for the 8x20 Ultravid; they also have the standard.  I think the 8x20 Ultravids rank FAR above the Zeiss or Swarovski.  I hate the way the Swarovski minis focus knob is mounted out front by your pinky.  Let me know if you want to know where to get them at the best price.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
Steve,

I saw the Ultravid in 8x20 after I posted this.

I'm really looking for a top notch glass that is small and fits in a pouch pocket on the outside of coat or in a shirt pocket for hunting. I figure the top notch will provide the best light transmission within the parameter of a small binocular. Ease of use is just as important as low light gathering capability. These compacts are all weighing in at around 7 ounces versus 19 ounces for the regular size 8x30 or 8x32 offerings.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
I really prefer the full size binos myself, yes you are carrying around a bit more weight, but that extra weight also makes them easier to hold steady and the light gathering and field of view are bonuses. I wear mine with a Bino buddy harness and have never had any string interference in any position and that is with over 20 years of use. Leicas are my first choice, I've never had any problems of any kind. Swarovski's are my second choice, they are very goo optically, but I have seen mechanical problems. Zeiss would be my last choice of the three, their optics aren't rated much higher then the Nikons, Leupolds etc..

Offline joeare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Well Steve, I just wanted to let you know about the 8x20 Leica Ultravid:  http://www.leica-camera.us/hunting_optics/ultravid_binoculars/ultravid_20_br/

But apparently you have realized your mistake yourself. I bought the Ultravid 10x25 and all I can say is WOW. Really superb optics and according to a famous German institute it is better than Swarovskis and Zeiss.

If I were you I would rather consider a 10 x 25 or 10 x 32 Ultravid. My 10 x 25 easily fits into any pocket of my trouser and it is also supplied with a nice bag that attaches to the belt.

Joe

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
Guys I have the Kahles in the 10x42 mossy oak they are small but not compact, super clear and great color even in low light, my dad has the leica and I just can't tell the differce except in ergonomics. I use a bino harness, I have never had my string snag with this setup. and even practice with it . I also wear a 3d bug tamer jacket one draw back to this set up is when you grap your binos you usually grab a leaf of the suit as well..
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Been wearing small, but not compact, binos around my neck for better than 40 years of hunting with a stickbow.  Never once did they get in the way or get caught on a string while shooting.  I know you didn't initially ask about Leicas, but they would be my pick.  I'm using a pair of 8x32s now.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
I recently bought a pair of Leica 8x32 trinovids, and it was some of the best money I have ever spent on hunting.  I won't go in the woods without them anymore.  I used to bowhunt all the time without binoculars, and now I can't see how I did it!  These are full size glass, but are very compact.  I use a harness with them, and they are a joy to carry.  I absolutely love them!  The money hurt, but you have to think of a good pair of binoculars as a lifetime investment.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks again for all the input gentleman. I really appreciate it. I noticed that Leica has a 8x32 offering called the Ultravid thats only 18 or 19 ounces and about 4.5 inches tall versus about 4 inches for the compacts.

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Ray you won't regret buying the larger glass(8*30).I tried the compacts and they led to sore eyes and fustration.with the bino harness system you wont notice the weight and they wont swing all over the place.Last year I bought the zeiss 8*30 and haven't looked back.If you do any bird watching you will appreciate the clarity the larger glass will provide.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
I have quite a bit of practical experience with binos (work and play) under all types of conditions.  Both of the products you mention are outstanding.  However, at their useful range, you will spend hundreds more on them to obtain two extra minutes of visibility at dark when no ambient light is present.

The best value out there is the Steiner Safari auto focus 8x30.  They are absolutely bomb proof.  Rig them on a quality chest harness (Crooked Horn Outfitters-outstanding). They are larger than pocket binos, but you will use them more because they are instantly accessible with a minimal amount of movement.  You don't even know they're there and they interfere with nothing.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©