3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FAC required for bowhunting?  (Read 283 times)

Offline tinkering

• Trad Bowhunter
FAC required for bowhunting?
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
I'm in BC Canada. Do I need an FAC for bowhunting?
Living streams are poisoned by the cup that conveys them to the thirsty lips of mankind. H.G. WELLS

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FAC required for bowhunting?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:18:00 AM »
What's an FAC?  

Field Archery Course?

Frequently Abused Cat? :D  

Are you asking about needing it where you are in Canada or if you come to the states?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline tinkering

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »
LOL!!
Somethings translate well accross the border; political regulations can be different. It's a Firearm Aquisition Certficate. The government bombards us with regulations until you just don't see the point in doing anything; Frequently Abused Cat describes it well LOL! I know this is a Canadian question, but I thought maybe someone would know. They regulate the crossbow in different ways up here in different provinces, so I wonder what kind of hoops they wants us to dive through so I can hunt with a bow?
Living streams are poisoned by the cup that conveys them to the thirsty lips of mankind. H.G. WELLS

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:21:00 AM »
We don't have a bunch of hoopla surrounding bows of any description. Airlines want them in the cargo hold and not in the cabin of the plane. If you are transporting a REAL firearm (do they still have any in Canada?) then I have no clue what would be required.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »
No paper / permits at all is needed.
Just get the bow and have at it.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
-just don't shoot within the city limits...someone will call the police, believe me.

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
FAC was replaced by a PAL Posession and Aquisition License. But as stated above, you don't need one of those for archery and bowhunting. Still need the hunter safety course, small game license which allows you to buy big game tags.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
You do not need the "hunter safety course" IF you have held a hunting license in another province.

The course is required for first time hunters, or those convicted of an offense under the wildlife act.

Canadian non resident license, tags, and/or permits and off you go.

Have a great hunt.

Offline tinkering

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
I have had a deer license and a goose license, a long time ago, around 1977 I think. Will that do?

Offline tinkering

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
We don't have a bunch of hoopla surrounding bows of any description. Airlines want them in the cargo hold and not in the cabin of the plane. If you are transporting a REAL firearm (do they still have any in Canada?) then I have no clue what would be required.

Killdeer
You know the gun laws have only been visible (and making life frustrating) for the honest guys. There will always be REAL firearms around.

Offline tinkering

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by hockey7:
-just don't shoot within the city limits...someone will call the police, believe me.
In the city, if you look at someone they call the police. Thanks for that.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
Tinkering,

Sure they call the police, but...do the police ever come?

Timmie's is addictive!     :bigsmyl:  

Get a hold of the Alberta Environment dept, and see if you can get a license in Alberta, without having to take the Alberta hunter safety program. If you can still get an Alberta license, then BC will accept that as "proof" that you are "qualified."

I am not even sure that "non-resident Canadians" require proof of a safety course to obtain a license.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
in Alberta you don't need  a FAC but you need a wildlife Ident(Win) card and also a bowhunting Permit and lic for whatever game you hunt  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:
Gord

Offline tinkering

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by R.W.:
Tinkering,

Sure they call the police, but...do the police ever come?

Timmie's is addictive!      :bigsmyl:  

Get a hold of the Alberta Environment dept, and see if you can get a license in Alberta, without having to take the Alberta hunter safety program. If you can still get an Alberta license, then BC will accept that as "proof" that you are "qualified.

I am not even sure that "non-resident Canadians" require proof of a safety course to obtain a license.
I'll ask in BC here and see what they require on this end. I was having trouble finding where to call or email?

Come to think of it, I know a fish and wildlife officer in AB. I will ask him too.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Tink,

All the contact numbers you need are in the Alberta Hunting Regulations.

You can pick up a set at place that sells licenses. (they are free)

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Alberta mailed my WIN card this summer. I think its good for eight or ten years.
I just happened to be on a plane FULL of American bear hunters flying into Edmonton this past May. I know that none of the gun hunters I was sitting near had any problems getting their firearms into Canada. The plane Captain even held up our flight (announced over the intercom)for ten minutes waiting for one of the guy's rifles to get past the "officials" and loaded into the cargo bay.

Being a bow hunter I didn't even ask what type of paperwork was involved...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©