3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: heating my blind?  (Read 363 times)

Offline 21st century 1

• Trad Bowhunter
heating my blind?
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
anybody have any ideas how to knock some of the chill off in my pop up blind?i do not have the time or funds to go out and buy a heater,so looking for some clever ideas.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: heating my blind?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Pay your dues and suffer. You already have a windblock, what more do you want? A Starbucks next to you on the ridge? When you kill a deer, you should be so cold and shivery that you can't wait to open it up and stick your hands inside to ease the frostbite. Break the ice on the beaver pond to wash up afterward.

Killdeer   :readit:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
a can of Sterno works in a pinch....  :bigsmyl:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
A candle in the bottom of a 1# coffee can sitting between your legs puts out some heat.

A thermos of hot broth or tea will take the shivers out of your body.

:campfire:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Check you blind. Most have warnings against using heaters in them. fatman's or Ron's ideas should work, just don't kick it over when the big one shows.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
I always carry a thermos of hot black coffee....but mostly cause I'm a caffeine addict....but it also warms me up when I'm getting shivery.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
I'm from Oklahoma, and we rarely see the low temps. you have to hunt in, but I do have a suggestion. Years ago when we used to goose hunt in Jan., my buddy would bring his 8 year old daught, and keep her in a sleeping bag as we hunted. If you are in a pop up, it would be easy to sit in a chair inside a good sleeping bag until a deer showed up. You could then slip it off your shoulders for the shot.

Just a suggestion.

CKR
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Use those heat packs if you must.HMMMMM I stopped drinkin' too soon. We didn't have pop ups back then but you sure wouldn't have to worry about your beer gettin' warm.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
A metal pail and some charcoal will help take the edge off the cold. Or better yet a Heater Body Suit.

http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/index.htm
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Wow Killdeer- How do you really feel?

Some good ideas up there for ya, I know some days I'd rather be in a blind just to get out of the wind but heck one more thing to drag out there with the blind and everything else...sheeesh - yeah just sit out there and suffer!
I think the cheapest and easiest thing would be the little heat packs- thats what I use when it's really cold in late December. Now pay your dues-
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline 21st century 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
jeeze deerslayer i feel like i got a verbal ass whooping,i"ve been paying my dues for the last 30 yrs.the blind thing is rather new too me and i like it.my bones and joints don"t wanna play well anymore.thanks for the ideas,

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Some good wool clothes!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Well, let me tell you what I did not so long ago. I was chilly, warmed me right up, I know I'm going to catch Hell for admitting this but I was having a smoke in my treestand, before I climbed down for the evening. I can hear you now, "smoking in the deer stand, SINNER!!". Honestly, the deer I hunt could care less, I see them whether or not I'm smoking. And where I hunt, the wind is usually blowing the wrong direction for them to smell my Marlboro. And I do carry a tin to crush them out and put ashes and butts in so this sort of thing doesn't happen. But anyways, an ember fell out of my smoke and landed in a very dead limb about 5 ft below me. Unbeknownst to me it caught fire, well as I said the wind was blowing out behind me so I had no idea. Anyways, I lower my stuff to the ground and begin to climb down, about halfway down I see the smoke and think quietly to myself," Hmmm now where on earth could that smoke be coming from?" This is a huge oak I hunt from in this location, so I climbed around the tree to see if I could tell...that limb was smoldering like crazy. So I decided to break it off and get it on the ground where I could extinguish it properly...with dirt. I hitched up a limb or two and gave it a good kick, it was so rotten that it broke right off and fell down into about a foot of equally dry leaves...ya ever throw gas on a fire, ya know that "whooshing" sound that sends up immediate warning flags in the cerebral cortex of even the most enfeebled minds...yeah, I heard that. My smoldering limb exploded into a million burning embers when it hit the ground and now I had a fire of alarming proportions...beneath me. Sooo I climb/fall down my tree as fast as I can manage and begin the process of stomping out my little forest fire in the making. I stomped, I kicked dirt, I peed, and finally got it out, burying the offending limb in sand and scattering the smoldering leaves as far as I could away from leaf litter. I sat out there huffing for another 30 min to an hour to make sure it was out... I was chilly no more, sooo if you are cold just light your blind on fire, when its all over and your warm, you'll thank me.
                         -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline 21st century 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
hillbilly that is a hunting story that can be told over and over.that deerkiller guys gonna give you the dickens though,if i gotta freeze till im shivering like hell how am i gonna shoot the little devels? hey deerkill im just joshing ya,good luck with the rest of the season guys and gals.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
Hillbilly, that was funny and I wasn't even there!
  :biglaugh:  

Last year, I tried sterno with good results.   ;)
Lon Scott

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
My son and I have done the Sterno thing too and it does work.  The two problems with it (that I detected anyway) are: 1) it's stinky and will give your clothes a bit of a petroleum funk and 2) the cans can be pretty loud to open / close.

If you choose Sterno, do yourself a favor and get the kind that comes in the cans with the screw on/off lids (as opposed to the lids that you have to pop off w/ a screwdriver).

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by E. Texas HillBilly:
...I stomped, I kicked dirt, I peed...
Lol I bet you did.

:bigsmyl:

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Becareful using charcoal in a closed area, fumes are deadly, I don't know if blind has a enough fresh air or not, Careful don't want to lose anyone!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
When it gets real cold, a "Little Buddy" propane heater in a blind this size will have you stripped down to your T-shirt.    :goldtooth:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline GUYZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Here is what i use.A small empty can of coffee
filled with pink fiberglass home insulation.
I then fill the can with methyl-hydrate or
(fondue fuel)just light and you are in bussiness.It generate a very good amount
of heat,it is oderless,quiet and cheap.
DO NOT FORGET TO LET THE CAN COOL DOWN BEFORE
PUTTING THE PLASTIC COVER ON!

MAY THE SPIRIT OF FRED BEAR GUIDE OUR ARROWS.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©