3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ladies - Wool Clothing??  (Read 585 times)

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
Ladies - Wool Clothing??
« on: November 20, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
Pants specifically. I've been looking around a fair bit for some 100% wool pants that I can hunt in, so far the best thing I found were the L.L. Bean Maine Guide Wool Pants for women (and those have 15% nylon...). They only come in solid gray too.

I'm really at a loss. Any women have any insight into non-camo 100% wool gear that is of good quality and reasonably priced (and fits!)?

(Doc Nock, if you're reading this, the tailor recommended I not get the pants Louise gave me tailored, but if I really can't find anything I'm going to take them back to her and insist that she try to make it work...)

Thanks!
Sarah

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ladies - Wool Clothing??
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Top quality virgin wool is expensive, but most of us believe it is worth it considering all the years of service it can give.

Filson and Pendleton make first class garments.  

I even check out my local Goodwill stores and have found quality wool at discount prices.
Lon Scott

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
I mean specifically for women...I've checked both of those and got nothin'...their women's lines are not geared for the outdoors...

Anyone have an opinion about Johnson Woolen Mills women's pants?

Offline groyce

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
Sarah,
Check with Gary at Day One. I'm sure he would be glad to make you a pair that are just right. A little pricey, but much cheape than SI or KOM and should last you forever.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Sara....
Check out Military surplus on the web....Some of the cold country's have women clothing also.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Sarah-I have had no luck finding any nice wool pants to fit me.  I stand in at 5' even and proud.  I am the tallest woman in the family!  I hunt in WWII wool pants.  They were a bit big so I dried them.  I tend to normaly put a larger pair of camo pants over them unless the weather is wet.  Good luck.  Let me know if you find anything.
Katie
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
www.woolcamo.com       Watch the video. I think the sizing charts indicate wemons and mens. Good quality wool clothing will last you a long time as long as you dont "out grow" it.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Sarah,

Sleeping indian will make them to your measuremets but they are very expensive. Great camo but costly. I believe Day one will do the same for you if you contact them.

Good luck

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Johnson Woolens will last long enough for your own daughter to hunt in them one day. I have yet to wear a pair out. Unfortunately I have outgrown some. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
The sleeping indians are very expensive. If it got cold down here like it does up there I would have to do something, cause I get cold when its 30 outside. I see very few days a year even in the twentys so I kinda feel lucky. The down side is the deer dont put on the weight to stay warm that yalls do    :(    . I work outside all year long,  for the past 18 years or so and can get by with the columbia brand wool stuff. I have been hearin more and more about the Day One stuff, all of it good.
I have "outgrown" a little of my hunting gear as well!! It sure is getting hard to reclaim it!! LOL

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Ooooh.
My pet peeve!

I just bought some Lee jeans, same as always, because they fit (mostly) and have a decent sized watch pocket. I wear a pocket watch. Just went in, found the size I always buy and took 'em home.

They half-sized the two front pockets. No way in Helsinki that I can keep money in the front pocket like I always do...they are way too short for security. I bet they expect me to carry a purse, since I can't cart around a man to pay for everything for me.

I said all that to say this: women's clothes are made for cutesy, not practicality. Most everything I wear in the woods was made for a man. I guess the demand isn't there, but it can't develop because women won't want to learn to hunt if they can't get the clothes that will let them be comfortable in the field. The boots that I think would be perfect for me don't come in my size (Men's 7) and the women's are too narrow and flimsy, so I make do with something else. I have gotten used to wearing men's pants, and in protest to Lee, bought a pair of Wrangler carpenter's pants. Now, THOSE are pockets! :D  And they use the GOOD denim!  

Women's clothes, cut too close and using lighter materials for slimming, substituting cute fur ruffs for vibram soles, place the emphasis in entirely the wrong direction. I don't blame the manufacturers, they are responding to demand. I blame all those idiot women who place a premium on form over function.

Google up Women's Hunting Clothes and the pickings are slim.

Sorel made a light pac boot called the Broadway, for women. It was a lighter version of my oversized Stadiums, so I bought two pairs. Thank goodness, because they discontinued them within a year.

This is getting too long.
Women REALLY have to want to hunt, because staying warm and dry and silent is a real challenge when you can't find the right clothes. They will have to hunt for good clothes or have them tailor-made. When you find something that works, buy one or two more, quick. They will be discontinued! Check out the surplus stores and thrift stores, try stuff on from both men's and ladies' wear. It takes a lot of looking and persistence. Just like hunting.

Killdeer~ Can I vent now?
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I feel yall girls pain. I took my daughter to the local BPS and was gonna buy her all new hunting clothes for this winter. She just turned 14 on the 12th (we share the birthday) and is growing and becoming more the women everytime I turn around. Being my oldest there are no hand me downs. I thought she would be stoked to get the ladies gear. Turns out she found it not very comfortable after trying it all on and went with the mens coveralls and a coat. The wierd thing was the ladies stuff was 20-60 dollars higher than the comparable mens stuff. Im proud she went with comfort over the pomp, even though I would have spoiled her anyway!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
My California buddy Mike or 'MR O' as we called him; noted that it doesn't matter what color wool you wear UNDER your camo outer layer.

Where he got pink wool tops and bottoms- I really don't care to know.

Point is though; what you wear under your camo is an absolute unknown to most hunters - unless you walk into the tent without knocking.......  :scared:    :rolleyes:    :help:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Filson used to make women's woolen clothing, including the whipcord pants and Mackinaw pants and jackets.  I've seen several examples on the-auction-site-that-dares-not-speak-its-name.  Woolrich made women's Mackinaw pants for a while; I don't know about other articles from them.    Look also for alternative brands by using terms like "whipcord" or "Mackinaw" or combining "women's" with "woolen" or "woollen" and "hunting."  I scored a pair of new men's whipcord pants from another NW manufacturer for $40 by searching for "whipcord."  (Just beware that a notorious British filmmaker used the same word but with a different connotation . . . )

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 02:10:00 AM »
Gray Wolf will make it your way.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
AMEN Killdeer!!! I have picked up several MENs wool sweaters at Goodwill stores but have found nothing for women. That's ok, I don't mind wearing mens clothes to hunt in.

Absolutely AMEN on the pocket issue! Love my pockets. Leg pockets, front pockets, hip pockets. Deep pockets! The more pockets the merrier!

I can't find anything but light wt wool dress pants. They are good for early season but NOT NOW! Low 30's today! 16 degrees tonight! And snow! I don't need camo because I am hunting in a Shaggie Suit.

This is the firt year I've hunted in wool and I LOVE it! I have never been warmer while hunting. I have Rivers West coat and pants and I've been wearing the pants with a set of wool under garments from 3RA. But, I had lost wt and can hardly keep them up! I've got to get a belt!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Oh ya. Let us know what you find out. The guys may have ladies that don't get on Tradgang that need wool pants also.

4 layers of wool shirts and sweaters on last nights hunt! My fingers and toes got a little cold. I carry warmers for hands and feet. Boots are big enough for one pair of socks only. I've been spraying scentless anti-perspirant on my feet before hunting. I think it is helping.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Way back when I was in the army, most of us were bean poles. I had a 27" waist and wore smaller clothes.

I noticed on the auction site any military wool marked small goes dirt cheap becaues there is little demand for it. You might check the site and search for "military wool".

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
I say amen to Killy and Bona.  Go with the boys stuff-way more practical!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©