3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: best windproof gear?  (Read 361 times)

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
best windproof gear?
« on: November 20, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
hey guys, I have a columbia gallatin wool jacket and bibs.  They are really nice for the price, however I noticed on windy days that it's not so nice.... =)  I am looking for a nice top and pants whether it's a base layer or not.  Whatever it is, I need it to be windproof.  I can't really spend all that much, but would love to hear what works for you.  Anyone out there come across anything that would help when layering?  

Shawn

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: best windproof gear?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Natural Gear Wintercept. Excellent stuff
lll

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I wear a cheap golf-style windshirt under my Gallatin coat, makes a lot of difference on a windy day  :thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
I use the windshear from Cabelas. If there's somewhere windier than here, I ain't been there.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I 2nd the windshear from cabelas. I use the 100% wool w/ the windshear, pullover, and it is supper warm. No wind whatsoever penetrates, they offer different camo versions (if thats what you prefer).Best money I ever spent on a garmet

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
I have a windshear wool sweater and a windshear shirt from Cabelas that I wear under my galatin wool.  Perfect on windy days.  Just picked up a berber fleece pull over with windshear too.  That stuff is great. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
I found the wind shear layer in the Cabela's wool pants and jacket to be so noisy I actually cut out the liner and tossed it!

Offline riot1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
I got the old military M-65 liners (new from US Cavalry)for my coat and pants and just stitched in buttons to hold them in.  Works wonders.  I actually use the liners in my Filson jacket and bibs as well.  They stop the wind and add insulation.

Riot

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
I hunt windy...real windy places.  I too think that the wind shear is noisy, especially as the temps drop.  I prefer layering a wind break under my wool, those quilted nylon lined lightweight jackets work best and are cheap if you can find one.  My favorite is a "Big Smith" brand I think.  Also those quilted flannel shirts will do the same.  As far as pant, simple layers will do the trick.  Wind is tough to hunt in, especially in cold weather, so plan to keep hunts in tree stands during prime times, or stay on the ground, where it is much warmer, if possible.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
I too have the complete set of Gallatin wool. I wear 2 layers of ploartech under it, & that works well.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
I'm very pleased with how my Sitka Gear blocks wind for being "soft shell technology", no more Gore-tex clammy. Cabela's windshear products are great for a stand or blind but like Bjorn, I found them very noisy if still hunting/stalking.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Oh come on Mark, the wind never blows around Livingston!
As someone who used to live in Casper, Wy., where the wind never blows over 80mph and a 'breezy' day is 20-30mph, I layer with a wool sweater and a wool jacket. I have a windproof jacket, but found that it doesn't breathe at all and if you are moving around, it gets pretty sweaty inside the jacket.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
I've heard a few people say windshear is noisy..... if mine is, I cant tell. My windstopper from cabelas was extremely noisy.

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
i dont like wind proof liners on wool coats.  the wind will blow right through the wool, thats holding the heat, and then stop on the wind proof layer, stopping the wind but robbing your warmth.  sooooo, i bought a l l bean maine guide coat, not wind proof, and for super windy days, just put a cabelas un insulated rain coat, like the rain suade or the space rain gear coat over it, to block the wind AND keep the warmth in.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Gortex will also stop wind. Mos tof the time though, I also like a quilted flannel shirt for the last layer. I like to block the wind with the last layer, not the layer closest to my body.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
If it is too bad I wear rain gear.If the wind is blowing hard enough to need it everything is noisy anyway.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
I use my windshear under my wool. I looked at several windshear garmets at Cabela's and found all the camo patterned sweaters to be way to noisey but found one that is just forest green and no noise. I usually carry it in and put it on after getting to my stand otherwise I overheat. No problems, so far, hunted down to 9 degrees this morning.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
I agree that a windproof barrier should be worn as far outside as possible...there is always trade offs though.  I still like my layer of wool outside.  

Wind noise can certainly cover the noise of the windstopper....but as temps drop, that stuff gets noisier, and it takes a lot less wind to feel the effects...at some point it is too noisy for me.  Some "windbreaker" jackets are of a soft material too, and I have layered them over an insul layers, but beneath my wool still, and that can work.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
I have a windproof 'golf shirt' from Gander.
I don't seem to need as much under it as without. Then I add another Wool sweater over it if I need more.
In late season, I have a Rivers West jacket that is GREAT for warm and wind/water proof and quiet. It's bulk is the only problem I have with it. The newer stuff is a bit thinner.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
I have a windshear shirt from Cabelas. Work great to stop the wind. I also have windshear wooltimate pants (cabelas), but the wind sails right through these!!
Also have two fleece jackets from Day One Camo, and no wind gets through these.
However, nothing beats my Filson Dbl. Mac. jkt. These jackets are "armour" againist the cold.

<><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©