3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your bow's resting place  (Read 366 times)

Offline Kevin Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Your bow's resting place
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
So, what do you guys use to hang your bows on. Homemade racks, store bought stands...give me some ideas. I'm going to need to make something soon, or buy something.

Kevin

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your bow's resting place
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
I have a grand total of 1 bow.

It now hangs from the ceiling by the string with two little brass hooks that use to hold one of my flyrods.

If you don't want them to be displayed, just out of the way, your ceiling has a lot or real estate to offer.
Micah 6:8

Offline Kevin Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
I'm thinking some kind of wall mount...I don't think I'll have more than six or so, when I'm done buying...but you never know.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »
something I threw together out of scraps in the garage

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 06:58:00 AM »
Old cedar log, pieces of a broken arrow cut to short lengths and inserted into drilled holes:

(old picture, there are a few less recurves and a lot more longbows now  ;) )
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
A wooden three bow rack. Since this photo was taken, I sold my Bob Lee TD bow (the bottom bow) and have a second Blacktail Elite TD bow on order.

Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »

I made this one from eastern red cedar, I have also made a few for freinds.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
JC I wasn't a member when I first saw your pic months ago but I wanted to tell you I think that is one of the neatest bow racks I've come across. I didn't even know about the arrow hangers, that is even cooler.

It's also amazing you have a wife (assuming) that lets you bring logs into the home.

Most guys would get about as far as "I had this idea to suspend an entire piece of tree trunk from the wall..." and the conversation would be about over.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
I just use a 2'x2' piece of peg board with a frame built behind it to keep it rigid. I covered the metal arms that support my bows with clear plastic tubing. Pretty it aint but it works.Mine holds 3 bows, 2 back quivers,2 Catquivers, stringers and assorted items plus 3 bow cases hanging from hooks in the frame . Most of my gear in one place. More bows? Larger pc of peg board.

Take care,
          Ed  :campfire:

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
Most archery shops sell screw in hooks that are no scratch coated. You can essentially screw them in anywhere, doorframes, etc. I like the inside frame of a closet with folding doors so it's out of sight too. The Mrs. is not happy decorating the house with "gear" like Mrs JC is . I put a flintlock on the wall in the bedroom once, prettiest Kentucky rifle you ever saw, and she refused to sleep there until it came down. IT was a tough decision, mind you, but she won, that time.
Down in the office I got 2 lengths of 1x6, varnished them and screwed them upright to the studs 36" apart. Then I got those screw in hangers from the shop and screwed them in pairs up the length and we can hang all the bows there.
I have one inside the frame of the bedroom closet.

Sam

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
My long bows hang on wood pegs on a wood board and my recurves hang on deer antlers screwed into the wall.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Jerry that is neat too. I think I might do that with pig tusks.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
Here's a rack I built a couple years ago.  I've posted pics of it here before, but I think I'm going to have to build a new one.  Got a couple more bows laying around now, and a hankering for more...  Just don't tell my wife!!!  :readit:  

58" 52@28 Acadian Woods Tree Stick
64" 52@28 Griffin
56" 47@28 Bear
55" 45@28 Shakespear Necedah (1964)

Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
I have all my bows displayed in the living room. what I have done is make pegs for them to rest on then I can mount the pegs on the wall of my choice. I cut a three inch piece of one inch round stock and drill a hole in the center. Next cut a square block about 2-3 inches square and drill one centered hole and one 1/4 inch above that. Now mark where the pegs need to be mounted and put in a wall anchor if needed. Put a 2 inch drywall screw threw the center hole and then mount the peg backer to the wall. Now simply screw on the round stock and the screws will be covered by the peg. We have huge picture windows in the living room that the bows hang between. Man I wish I could get the photo thing! this is one of the nicest ways to display a bow I've ever seen. Most of the wood in our house is oak so that what I used to make my pegs.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
Back seat of my truck ninety percent of the time!Saves having to carry it in and out of the house!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
Some of them just hang on pegs in the basement.

Others find their place on the bow rack my great uncle made for my grandfather in the early 50's.

But my grandfather's recurve stays on a rack I made from the first deer I killed with it, 10 years ago.

My favorite home made recurve (now retired) hangs on a rack made from hoofs off the same deer.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
JC and Curveman,
I really like your bowracks. Very neat ideas!!!  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 05:23:00 AM »
Sixteen penny nails in the basement rafters 8^).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©