3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon arrow recommendations  (Read 267 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon arrow recommendations
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
Hey Gang,
   I'm looking to setup an arrow for an r/d longbow (66" 65#@27.5", B-50 string) and am looking for recommendations for a carbon arrow.  I'd like to be able to point load it with 300-325 grains and am looking for an overall weight of approximately 650 grains. I'd also like to be able to cut them to 27.5-28".  I like the idea of the thinner diameter shafts, but would like some advice. Thanks for any help gang!  Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon arrow recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Beema MFX 400 should work at that length, with 300 up front. Should work out at about 660gn

Obviously YMMV depending on how close to centre your bow is cut, but it shouldn't be a million miles off (possibly a little stiff if anything)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Ooops...roughly 1/8" from center cut.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
With carbons I don't worry about length,carbons do not come in as many different spines as wood or aluminum.I pick a basic static spine and trim and tune from there with the weight I want to shoot upfront.With the starting static spine you adjust the dynamic spine by shooting them and trimming until you achieve the flight you are looking for.Wanting to be able to cut them at 27.5-28 can be hit or miss.Alot depends on how your bow's shelf is cut.On bows not cut to center,carbon arrows can have the effect of bouncing off the riser instead of flexing around it.I had a used set of carbons I bought for my bow and thought I could get them tuned with more upfront weight.They got worse the more weight I added,they were bouncing off the riser on my bow not cut to center.They kept showing stiffer with the more weight added,it should have weakened the spine but it didn't.I never cut a carbon without shooting them first and don't worry about the length I end up with.That is just the nature of carbon arrows with trad bows.There is alot of used carbons for sale that were cut too short before shooting them.This has been my experience with carbon arrows on longbows,recurves cut past center are not as critical with spine as longbows can be.

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
AD Trad heavies.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Rob hit the nail!
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline stickandastring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
I also agree with rob. Beman MFX. I use 150 up front on a total 550 grain arrow. They fly beautiful.
Face your fears. Live your dreams.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
I really like the Carbon Express Rebels.  Just the plain black/grey shafts.  They are really economical and have a high grains per inch ratio.  Depending on which size you get they are around 10-11 gpi.  I use 100 grain brass inserts up front.  I'm no carbon expert but this has been working for me and don't break the bank.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Herritage 250 will get you up there.And their tough,durable shafts.
Harold Wetzler

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
I use Carbon Express Heritage 350's at 30" long, using a 100 gr. brass insert and 150 gr. broad-heads. I shoot a 62# recurve and my total wight is around 640 Gr.  
they shoot well for me!

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
what Rob said , beman mfx 400's   :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
I've revamped a bit fellas.  I'm considering easton axis arrows with 100 grain inserts, 125 grain adapter, and 170 grain mod grizzlies which would bring my total arrow weight to right around 650 grains along with upping my FOC(395 grains up front). What do you guys think as far as a spine for these arrows...stick with the 400 or up it to the 340?  I like the idea of the small diameter arrows.  Thanks fellas, Matt

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
with your arrow length you might be able to stay with the 400's.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Tough call I think.  I'd start with the 400, but you could be at a 340.  You've got the right shaft, those MFX are BAD!  Hope they never stop making them!
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys!  Anyone else?

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by mmgrode:
I've revamped a bit fellas.  I'm considering easton axis arrows with 100 grain inserts, 125 grain adapter, and 170 grain mod grizzlies which would bring my total arrow weight to right around 650 grains along with upping my FOC(395 grains up front). What do you guys think as far as a spine for these arrows...stick with the 400 or up it to the 340?  I like the idea of the small diameter arrows.  Thanks fellas, Matt
With 395 up front, at your length, definately the 400s.
As an example (I hate doing this) I'm shooting a 57@28 Horne longbow (cut 1/16 under centre) I draw a dead 30" (63# ish) & shoot full length, 340spine MFX 400s with 350 up front. If anything these still show a little stiff. My Morrisons (same weight, same drawlength, 1/8" past centre) shoots the same arrow perfectly.

I would suggest that by the time you've cut down the 400s (cutting carbons seems to have far greater effect than adding or reducing point weight) & poked 395gn up it's nose, you should be about spot on.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
Cool, thanks Rob!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©